The TV Thread

I was channel hopping during an advert break, and clicked on to SPOTY2019, just as three of the England World Cup team were being introduced to the stage, as Gary Linaker named the players he also introduced Ben Stokes as the individual trophy winner. Lo and behold when the first place winner was announced, it was Ben Stokes. Did Linaker know something about the votes in advance, was it fixed, and your votes didn't count again?

2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

To be fair, soccer doesn't do as well as it's popularity would suggest. I think there is an institutional bias within the BBC against the sport.

They don't want a winner from the same sport every year, so it is understandable and (I think) reasonable that their shortlists are compiled from a variety of sports. I don't think they are biased against Football.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watch these world strongest man shows on telly at this time every year . Enjoyable enough although it’s always a bit strange that they fill the show with so much padding and take so long to get into it they have to cut out some of the guys doing the events . 

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

I watch these world strongest man shows on telly at this time every year . Enjoyable enough although it’s always a bit strange that they fill the show with so much padding and take so long to get into it they have to cut out some of the guys doing the events . 

flipping huge tyres down a 30m track and throwing beer barrels of various sizes on to platforms of various heights is a life skill only the very few can do, all hail the strongmen.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

flipping huge tyres down a 30m track and throwing beer barrels of various sizes on to platforms of various heights is a life skill only the very few can do, all hail the strongmen.

It is great fun, and most of the competitors have a good camaraderie. But the actual broadcast could be less naff.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it does give a message- the message is programme makers have run out of ideas and if you want to make it in modern tv and film then as an unbearable  clever little shiit from acting school make sure you distance yourself from any parents who may both be white

Get a room, you two old codgers. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On a different note , on BBC Breakfast news this morning , a story on the information feeds from the Bank Of England , normally the BOE makes an announcement on things like interest rates and the like by live video announcements , but there is also an audio ' back up ' that is produced in the event of any technical problems , apparently the company tasked with producing this has been selling it on as that feed broadcasts slightly faster meaning the information gets out a few seconds earlier 

This allows those getting that info to instantly make decisions worth potentially huge amounts of profit 

In an episode of Elementary ( modern day Sherlock Holmes starring Jonny Lee Miller ) a murder was investigated that eventually uncovered a plot to intercept and delay the transfer of information through the trans Atlantic cable , for exactly this purpose 

Maybe somebody watched that and had an idea ? 

Edited by GUBRATS

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

On a different note , on BBC Breakfast news this morning , a story on the information feeds from the Bank Of England , normally the BOE makes an announcement on things like interest rates and the like by live video announcements , but there is also an audio ' back up ' that is produced in the event of any technical problems , apparently the company tasked with producing this has been selling it on as that feed broadcasts slightly faster meaning the information gets out a few seconds earlier 

This allows those getting that info to instantly make decisions worth potentially huge amounts of profit 

In an episode of Elementary ( modern day Sherlock Holmes starring Jonny Lee Miller ) a murder was investigated that eventually uncovered a plot to intercept and delay the transfer of information through the trans Atlantic cable , for exactly this purpose 

Maybe somebody watched that and had an idea ? 

One of the ways that tennis was corrupt - maybe still is - was having umpires delay updating the scores by a few seconds and in that time people who did know how the point finished could place a quick small bet. Accumulate over time and the winnings are big.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I've seen a couple of their theatre shows and I'm looking forward this series from the Mischief Theatre Company. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50390290

"Peter Pan goes wrong" was on TV a few years ago, and has been repeated. Good fun.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, ckn said:

BBC’s A Christmas Carol. Dire. 

In fact, it needs more than this. Whoever thought up, approved and casted this script and production should be declared unfit to do even local radio advertising. 

Pointless and pathetic “shock value” vulgarity added to time-filler monologues that do nothing for the show. Add to that the BBC’s now legendary mumbling in its productions.

One of my favourite stories treated this badly... even the Muppets steered away from diverting the story beyond a minor line from the original.

This production alone has made me more sympathetic to defunding the BBC than the entire election chaos. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The Witcher

or as it's known in Chateau Shadow

Superman and the Sexy Witch

Started watching that and the wife said “one for you to watch on your own”. I’ll watch that tonight then

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Was watching Secrets of the Mega Christmas Buffet ( yes I know ) last night and interesting decision by whoever to put subtitles on all the way through for those foreigners speaking English ...wasn’t a good look tbh  , their accents were better than a lot of English people ( yes me included ) . In fact it’s a tad disrespectful 

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, ckn said:

In fact, it needs more than this. Whoever thought up, approved and casted this script and production should be declared unfit to do even local radio advertising. 

Pointless and pathetic “shock value” vulgarity added to time-filler monologues that do nothing for the show. Add to that the BBC’s now legendary mumbling in its productions.

One of my favourite stories treated this badly... even the Muppets steered away from diverting the story beyond a minor line from the original.

This production alone has made me more sympathetic to defunding the BBC than the entire election chaos. 

I don't know how you can do Christmas Carol badly but I've no interest in seeing this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)