The TV Thread

• 2 weeks later...

A new Back in Time for... series started last week (I have just found out). This time it is Back in Time for Birmingham, tracking the decades of an immigrant family. Just started catching up on episode 1.

Apparently, it has already attracted the usual (now-normalised) racist vileness on social media. But that's the country we live in now, I suppose.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A new Back in Time for... series started last week (I have just found out). This time it is Back in Time for Birmingham, tracking the decades of an immigrant family. Just started catching up on episode 1.

Apparently, it has already attracted the usual (now-normalised) racist vileness on social media. But that's the country we live in now, I suppose.

I love those 'Back in Time' series. Avidly watch them all cos I particularly love social history. I remember the one they did set in Bradford, I think it was Back in Time for Tea, and there was one episode where they talked about the Aussies playing at Odsal and they sent the father and son off to watch the game. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

On 12/06/2022 at 20:16, Bedford Roughyed said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Looks great but failing to grab me.  I know its sci-fi, but there are so many plot holes for me.  

Obi-Wan Kenobi completely fails to generate any excitement because you know that the only main character not likely to make season 2 is the inquisitor girl. Obi-Wan, Leia, Luke and Darth Vader have all got movies to make ten years on from the events in the series so nothing can happen to them.

• Like 1

The Bradford on Duty series ... a complete hatchet job but accurate for the areas it concentrates on. The Council has spent years allowing scrotes to flout the law and ignore normal social patterns. Now, we are reaping the consequences.

In several areas of Bradford, the Police and Social Workers are really on the frontline every day. Graphically shown on this series, they are our Everyday Aunt Sallys. In fact, they are quietly heroic.

Where most of us live, outside the ring road, it's a beautiful city with plenty of countryside and flourishing community spirit. Not that the producers of this series would care.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

been chilling out abroad for the best part of 3 weeks - total bliss not to see any tv at all - been back a week and not in any rush to switch it on either 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 15:58, Robin Evans said:

Sherwood. An intruiging watch but one I find hard. 

I'm too embittered and was directly involved in that industry at that time. Those are scars that won't fade easily.

Just finished watching it. The accents were a bit up and down (it's a very specific accent that those of us familiar with can detect straight away, or not) but in general the acting and writing were very good indeed.

The writer is local and did a decent job putting both cases. It's still difficult, 40 years later.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Just finished watching it. The accents were a bit up and down (it's a very specific accent that those of us familiar with can detect straight away, or not) but in general the acting and writing were very good indeed.

The writer is local and did a decent job putting both cases. It's still difficult, 40 years later.

After the strike I worked in Notts at Eastwood in sir John northard's  office, (deputy chairman/operations director).

They all thought that I thought they were a set of scabbing b'statds. I worked there 18 months and couldn't wait to.leave.

The drama opened a lot of old wounds mate.

Edited by Robin Evans

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

After the strike I worked in Notts at Eastwood in sir John northard's  office, (deputy chairman/operations director).

They all thought that I thought they were a set of scabbing b'statds. I worked there 18 months and couldn't wait to.leave.

The drama opened a lot of old wounds mate.

I can believe it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

10 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I can believe it.

I still get uptight even discussing those days. There is a bitterness I have learned to suppress.....it lays dormant. I couldn't watch past episode two and I still can't watch brassed off.

I'm one who's views on thatcher remain in the sewer. 

I've been a nurse for nearly three decades now. This is my calling.... I'm good at it even though I'm now semi-retired. My energies remains supporting the learning disabilities populous with everything I have left.

Those days I try and place in a box, taped up and submerged to the deepest depths of the ocean.

I didn't need a drama poking me in the guts.

Right... saints wigan as re-directive therapy

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 16:53, Shadow said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi completely fails to generate any excitement because you know that the only main character not likely to make season 2 is the inquisitor girl. Obi-Wan, Leia, Luke and Darth Vader have all got movies to make ten years on from the events in the series so nothing can happen to them.

I know what you’re saying about the main protagonists not being in any serious danger because you know they will continue on.

I think for me this was what made the the prequels a big anti climax, as well as the fact that the dialogue was uninspiring and not very memorable.

That said I enjoyed Obi Wan Kenobi’s series finale and on the whole thought it was better than the Book of Boba Fett but worse than The Mandalorian series 1 & 2.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know what you’re saying about the main protagonists not being in any serious danger because you know they will continue on.

I think for me this was what made the the prequels a big anti climax, as well as the fact that the dialogue was uninspiring and not very memorable.

That said I enjoyed Obi Wan Kenobi’s series finale and on the whole thought it was better than the Book of Boba Fett but worse than The Mandalorian series 1 & 2.

That's pretty much the view in the Shadow household as well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Probably because that's where the murder victim was and the killer couldn't be bothered to wait for them to go on a trip to Brittany to kill them there. 

I never knew i spoke french till i watched that

Recently I read Harry’s Game by Gerald Seymour and today I found the 3 episodes of the adaptation for TV that I first saw back in 1982.  Again I enjoyed watching it and amongst some of the cast that became better known in later years was a young Linda Robson whom was cast as a young Irish girl who came to a grisly end.  

And just when i thought it was safe to switch the TV on again , it is announced that Big Brother is returning on ITV2 , surely that barrel has been scraped enough  already , there can`t possibly be an audience out there  who want to watch yet more attention seeking oddballs can there?

3 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

And just when i thought it was safe to switch the TV on again , it is announced that Big Brother is returning on ITV2 , surely that barrel has been scraped enough  already , there can`t possibly be an audience out there  who want to watch yet more attention seeking oddballs can there?

Yep , Love Island has finished and another similar show starts on Sunday, then.......

Started watching the Sandman on Netflix.  Never read the comic but its good so far.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Started watching the Sandman on Netflix.  Never read the comic but its good so far.  

I'm halfway through. Never read the comic but have listened to the Audible drama version (which is worth it as well) and it seems from following that and reading comments that it's following the structure of the comic graphic novel. Very much enjoying it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)