The TV Thread

14 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is that the one with the "Children of Chernobyl", where Erin says she has to warn James that the "Russian" is a prostitute because she has condoms which she doesn't even reckon are legal in Derry? 😂

Quite right, soundtrack is brilliant, one of the best things about it! 👍

That's the one.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve finished Crime and Spy City and nearly finished Magpie Murders on BritBox . I’m watching more BritBox than Netflix , it’s good 

What was Magpie Murders like? The book is annoying full of self promotion and self aggrandisement. It put me off any more of his books

Just now, Red Willow said:

What was Magpie Murders like? The book is annoying full of self promotion and self aggrandisement. It put me off any more of his books

I was interested in watching it after reading the book . I’m four episodes in and I’m finding it ok . Its pretty complex , lots of back and forth in time , even with interaction between characters of different times , and a mix of fact and fiction . It’s a twist on a theme but ultimately still a murder mystery 

16 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I only discovered a couple of days ago that a new series of Inside No.9 is going to start tonight.

as stated before each episode of  inside no9 is either utterly brilliant pure genius or a very poor affair with no inbetween 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

as stated before each episode of  inside no9 is either utterly brilliant pure genius or a very poor affair with no inbetween 

Well I enjoyed that one.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

looks like netflix is getting ditched as an non essential luxury by a lot of people as the cost of living hits home - but to be fair it does seem a lot of quantity over quality - churning out the same old choices 24/7 theres only so much people want to watch and a lot they dont

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

looks like netflix is getting ditched as an non essential luxury by a lot of people as the cost of living hits home - but to be fair it does seem a lot of quantity over quality - churning out the same old choices 24/7 theres only so much people want to watch and a lot they dont

But they are who Channel 4 should be aspiring too....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

all these streaming platforms will have a shelf life like many other things

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that we've had a global slowdown in content production for 2 years and suddenly streaming providers don't look so interesting any more.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Has terrestrial tv hit its shelf life though?

This may be part of a discussion I've been having a lot with people recently because I do firmly believe that there will be a fight back against the rapid increase of technology in our everyday lives in, say, the next decade or so. 

We are seeing this a bit already with some thing such as a lot of people getting rid of smartphones and phone contracts and just going back to a basic £20 mobile on pay as you go or SIM only because they've realised they don't use 99% of the features on their smartphone and only need a phone for calls and text messages. Also a lot of people are buying back all the cds and vinyl they got rid of 10 years ago when streaming music was a massive thing because people have realised the quality is just so much better. A while back a lot of people got rid of books for kindles but then realised reading isn't just about the words on the page and is also about the experience of actually reading a physical book. 

Just like these things people may potentially be fighting back against streaming services because they realise there is plenty of TV to watch on terrestrial tele or on terrestrial tele's catch up services, which while a sort of streaming service is only showing the terrestrial tele they missed the night previously or some other such situation. 

• Thanks 1

On 22/04/2022 at 10:39, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This may be part of a discussion I've been having a lot with people recently because I do firmly believe that there will be a fight back against the rapid increase of technology in our everyday lives in, say, the next decade or so. 

We are seeing this a bit already with some thing such as a lot of people getting rid of smartphones and phone contracts and just going back to a basic £20 mobile on pay as you go or SIM only because they've realised they don't use 99% of the features on their smartphone and only need a phone for calls and text messages. Also a lot of people are buying back all the cds and vinyl they got rid of 10 years ago when streaming music was a massive thing because people have realised the quality is just so much better. A while back a lot of people got rid of books for kindles but then realised reading isn't just about the words on the page and is also about the experience of actually reading a physical book. 

Just like these things people may potentially be fighting back against streaming services because they realise there is plenty of TV to watch on terrestrial tele or on terrestrial tele's catch up services, which while a sort of streaming service is only showing the terrestrial tele they missed the night previously or some other such situation. 

a lot of it is just trying to make you rebuy something you already have - sell sell sell

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

a lot of it is just trying to make you rebuy something you already have - sell sell sell

A lot of the new tech is exactly that (see video), but so is the hard sell of "back to the old days/keeping it real" stuff like LPs.

The Record Store Day chancers don't care if you're being an ironic hipster or not; once your money's in their pockets, it is as good as anyone else's.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moon Knight, truly outstanding telly. The last two episodes have been “argh… don’t stop there!”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

14 hours ago, ckn said:

Moon Knight, truly outstanding telly. The last two episodes have been “argh… don’t stop there!”

Can you explain what's happening please?

I love it but by jiminy it's confusing.