Football

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

What an awful champions league final. A shadow of finals of the past 

Something happened in the first minute and the last minute and nothing happened in between . There’s the match report 

• Like 1

Well done, Liverpool. Two really good sides played out a rather poor match, and I'm sure everyone with an atom of emotional investment in the final wanted more skill and excitement. But still, well done Liverpool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m sure plenty of people would’ve enjoyed Liverpool getting beat but after the season they’ve had. Losing the league title to great city team it would’ve been cruel for Liverpool to end the season with nothing. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 02:24, bobbruce said:

I’m sure plenty of people would’ve enjoyed Liverpool getting beat but after the season they’ve had. Losing the league title to great city team it would’ve been cruel for Liverpool to end the season with nothing. 

I agree, bob. I am pleased for Jurgen Klopp. I've said before how much I like him as a manager. I also said he would get silverware before long and now he has.

I'm not a great fan of Liverpool, though. (They rank just above United in my favourite football club list). Therefore, I will reserve my congratulations for the manager. Well done, Jurgen!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I agree, bob. I am pleased for Jurgen Klopp. I've said before how much I like him as a manager. I also said he would get silverware before long and now he has.

I'm not a great fan of Liverpool, though. (They rank just above United in my favourite football club list). Therefore, I will reserve my congratulations for the manager. Well done, Jurgen!

Do you find it difficult to put aside tribal loyalties to give credit where it’s due?

26 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Do you find it difficult to put aside tribal loyalties to give credit where it’s due?

I just did give credit where it was due.?

Putting aside 'tribal loyalties' is a bit difficult, but I do grudgingly congratulate Liverpool on their amazing season. Finishing so close to City was a truly epic effort.

I think my problem with Liverpool is that, when they do win something, we never hear the end of it. Same with United, but at least that is a distant memory.

NB. Don't take me too seriously. I've had to put up with United fans mocking us for years, so I'm revelling in the opportunity to return the favour!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I just did give credit where it was due.?

Putting aside 'tribal loyalties' is a bit difficult, but I do grudgingly congratulate Liverpool on their amazing season. Finishing so close to City was a truly epic effort.

I think my problem with Liverpool is that, when they do win something, we never hear the end of it. Same with United, but at least that is a distant memory.

NB. Don't take me too seriously. I've had to put up with United fans mocking us for years, so I'm revelling in the opportunity to return the favour!

Fair enough, mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, mate.

After reflecting for a few hours, I think I was a bit less than generous in my praise.

Well done, Liverpool. It was a great season and you did deserve some reward for your efforts. It would have been cruel to come away with nothing.

However, there is a space in our trophy cabinet and we're coming for it next year!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

After reflecting for a few hours, I think I was a bit less than generous in my praise.

Well done, Liverpool. It was a great season and you did deserve some reward for your efforts. It would have been cruel to come away with nothing.

However, there is a space in our trophy cabinet and we're coming for it next year!

That’s the spirit!

Will be an interesting season that’s for sure.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That’s the spirit!

Will be an interesting season that’s for sure.

I think the other top 6 sides all have flaws and issues. None seem in a position to challenge unless they invest heavily in the summer.

21 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think the other top 6 sides all have flaws and issues. None seem in a position to challenge unless they invest heavily in the summer.

We’ll have to see what the summer brings I feel.

City have a deep, but ageing squad in some key positions and I’ll be interested in how they recruit over the summer.

Liverpool need to add more depth and cover to a squad who are likely to have to play more games than last year and will want to go one better in the league.

I agree that the others on the face of it have too much ground to make up on the top two.  

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

City have a deep, but ageing squad in some key positions and I’ll be interested in how they recruit over the summer.

Liverpool need to add more depth and cover to a squad who are likely to have to play more games than last year and will want to go one better in the league.

I agree that the others on the face of it have too much ground to make up on the top two.  

Your second paragraph is true and a concern. However, there are not as many over-30s as I thought - Aguerro and D.Silva spring to mind - and Foden, Zinchenko, DeBruyn and Sterling, to mention but a few, are still mere bairns, relatively speaking. We need to replace Kompany, but Fernandinho is more than able when fit.

Fortunately, we have a very capable manager.

(And very deep pockets)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

IF they can recruit? Buy players, and loan them to Villa

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

IF they can recruit? Buy players, and loan them to Villa

How do you think Villa will get on?

Who do you think their summer targets will be?

I used to have a soft spot for them as a young boy, because I really liked the maroon of the home kit in the early-mid 1980s.  Plus they were also one of the better teams to watch.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How do you think Villa will get on?

Who do you think their summer targets will be?

I used to have a soft spot for them as a young boy, because I really liked the maroon of the home kit in the early-mid 1980s.  Plus they were also one of the better teams to watch.

I think, given the record of previous play-off winners, we will struggle, and as we have let 10 players go, and we have lost our Loanees, we are going to spend in a big way, even just to stay up.

4th bottom on goal difference & I will be happy, anything above that will be a bonus

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Watching England in big  competition  games often seems like you’re watching the same game . Fade away

At one point tonight (after the goal) I actually thought that England were playing well, like we looked like a decent side. The disallowed goal was a great piece of play. 

Then we give away the two most stupid goals you'd ever imagine. Now that's the old England. 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2019 at 16:38, tonyXIII said:

You were perfectly generous.  You are right. We'll never hear the end of it. Of course, Klopp comes over very well and clearly being at Liverpool suits him.

Maybe City should have abandoned the League Cup and the FA Cup like Liverpool did, to focus on the European Champs League instead of trying to win everything. Still 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1