Football

On 25/01/2021 at 20:05, Futtocks said:

Lampard may have been wrong to take the job at a club where he was a playing legend. Even if that club didn't have a record of firing people prematurely.

He comes across as pretty bright and keen on learning everything he can about management, so I'd expect him to find a club soon, do well, and maybe bite Chelsea on the bum some way down the line.

I really don't get the sense he's exceptional, I think he's actually been very lucky with his managerial appointments at Derby and Chelsea. From what I've read he also engenders a very "in crowd" culture with his favourites in a given squad, not too dissimilar from how he's reported to have been for England, which seems to have caused at least some problems. I don't think Tuschel is an outstanding appointment either tbh, but certainly has better credentials than Lampard.

The obvious comparison for Lampard is Gerrard at Rangers and as much as it pains me to say it he is doing an excellent job there, and has been for 3 seasons really. I've no doubt Gerrard will manage Liverpool one day, but unlike Lampard, I get the sense he will only take that "hero returns" job when he's ready. If Lampard had stayed at Derby, maybe got them up in his second season, then kept them up this year, I think everyone would have a far more positive view of his managerial credentials. FWIW a pretty average first season at Derby (given the players he had access to) plus a very good first season at Chelsea given the transfer ban and emphasis on (often English) youth have been wiped out by 9 weeks of poor results.

I can't help but laugh at Chelsea here as ultimately it comes down to them. Much like Bruce at Newcastle or Dyche at Burnley or even Ole at Man United, there are issues way above the manager at the club that are deeply problematic.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the constant fuss about VAR?

When it comes to offsides, surely officials have always drawn a line in their heads regarding where they believe the forward to be and where they believed the defender to be, and then compared them. That's what offside is.

I get that deciding exactly where to draw the line isn't an exact science, especially when it's something like a players arm - as per Ings against Villa. But having drawn the line where they (VAR) think it should be, it's a simple case of which line is then nearer the goal. I just don't get the fuss. Ings was offside based on the lines drawn. Yes, he was offside by a millimetre or two, but so what? You need to have a cut off somewhere. Even if you change the rules so that a forward can be, say, 5 millimetres nearer the goal than the defender and still be onside, you're then going to get a case where the forward is 6 millimetres nearer.

Yeah, let's get rid of VAR and then we can again have offside decisions like this one. I'm sure no Dutch fans would have complained had that disallowed goal proved costly to their World Cup qualification chances - 5 mins 33 seconds into video. Only played onside by three England defenders and by about a metre! Graham Taylor always conveniently forgot about it too, when complaining about being cheated later on in that game.

Netherlands 2-0 England (1993) WCQ - YouTube

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get the constant fuss about VAR?

When it comes to offsides, surely officials have always drawn a line in their heads regarding where they believe the forward to be and where they believed the defender to be, and then compared them. That's what offside is.

I get that deciding exactly where to draw the line isn't an exact science, especially when it's something like a players arm - as per Ings against Villa. But having drawn the line where they (VAR) think it should be, it's a simple case of which line is then nearer the goal. I just don't get the fuss. Ings was offside based on the lines drawn. Yes, he was offside by a millimetre or two, but so what? You need to have a cut off somewhere. Even if you change the rules so that a forward can be, say, 5 millimetres nearer the goal than the defender and still be onside, you're then going to get a case where the forward is 6 millimetres nearer.

Yeah, let's get rid of VAR and then we can again have offside decisions like this one. I'm sure no Dutch fans would have complained had that disallowed goal proved costly to their World Cup qualification chances - 5 mins 33 seconds into video. Only played onside by three England defenders and by about a metre! Graham Taylor always conveniently forgot about it too, when complaining about being cheated later on in that game.

Netherlands 2-0 England (1993) WCQ - YouTube

You will never get every decision correct while there is a human element in the decision making process.

Football currently is banging itself on the head trying to square that circle with the only winner being ex referees.

The game at the moment is suffering as a spectacle with a slavish attempt to get every decision correct with substandard technology.  

Handball and offside have always been contentious - in this respect VAR isn't the problem, the laws of the game and the interpretation rulings are.

VAR just makes it worse by slowing things down and creating more uncertainty.

For offside, VAR should only, IMO, overrule a decision that is clearly wrong. That is, where the player is absolutely beyond the last defender at the point the pass is made. The real "howlers".

For handball, I'd prefer to see it being used only where the hand contact has been completely missed by the officials. The comms between the VAR and the ref/ARs should clear that up quickly.

Maybe it will settle down, but right now it's not helping the game IMO.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Handball and offside have always been contentious - in this respect VAR isn't the problem, the laws of the game and the interpretation rulings are.

VAR just makes it worse by slowing things down and creating more uncertainty.

For offside, VAR should only, IMO, overrule a decision that is clearly wrong. That is, where the player is absolutely beyond the last defender at the point the pass is made. The real "howlers".

For handball, I'd prefer to see it being used only where the hand contact has been completely missed by the officials. The comms between the VAR and the ref/ARs should clear that up quickly.

Maybe it will settle down, but right now it's not helping the game IMO.

The problem I have is that not even the programmers are claiming that the VAR system is 100% accurate. There is margin of error.

Football really should have swallowed its pride and gone along with the Umpire's Call that cricket has.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The problem I have is that not even the programmers are claiming that the VAR system is 100% accurate. There is margin of error.

Football really should have swallowed its pride and gone along with the Umpire's Call that cricket has.

Or perhaps a degree of common sense when using VAR?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Just come across this picture from an FA Cup match between Workington Reds and Manchester United in January 1958

Goalkeeper Harry  Gregg
Defender Roger Byrne
Defender Bill Foulkes
Defender Mark  Jones
Midfielder Eddie Colman
Midfielder Duncan  Edwards
Midfielder Kenny Morgans
Midfielder Albert Scanlon
Midfielder/Forward Bobby Charlton
Forward Tommy Taylor
Forward Dennis  Viollet

29D76C46-6E82-42D7-AB61-2EC7492764CB.jpeg.45e2da0119a3e288f2426ff81b0a484a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Europa Cup draw

Ajax v Young Boys

Dynamo Kiev v Villareal

Roma v Shaktar Donetsk

Olympiakos v Arsenal

Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham

Man Utd v AC Milan

Slavia Prague v Rangers

Granada v Molde

At least there's a bit of variety here, Champions League bores me to death.

Was disappointed by Arsenal's late winner last night and we'll probably end up with a final of usual suspects e.g. United v Arsenal

On 26/02/2021 at 12:22, Bleep1673 said:

Europa Cup draw

Ajax v Young Boys

Dynamo Kiev v Villareal

Roma v Shaktar Donetsk

Olympiakos v Arsenal

Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham

Man Utd v AC Milan

Slavia Prague v Rangers

Granada v Molde

My choices in Bold

On 23/02/2021 at 20:11, Moose said:

Leeds 3-0 Southampton 

A fabulous goal and all round performance from Raphinha, what a player, a joy to watch👏

We could have played until midnight and still not scored. I thought we started ok, but our inability to score means that the opposition know they just need to stay patient and take their chance(s) when it comes along. Leeds did that and they deserved to win. I don't think I've ever seen so many players slip over in a match. I'm sure everyone will be glad when the pitch is fixed. Frustrating times as a Saints fan, but I think we'll pick up enough points in the next few months to be safe. I'll take 17th and an FA Cup win (which of course won't happen).

• 2 weeks later...

The Governments of the UK & the Republic of Ireland have launched a joint bid to hold the 2032 football world cup. I can tell you right now this will never be approved by FIFA, as all 4 UK countries, England Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales would automatically qualify as hosts, as would Ireland, therefore filling 5 qualifying places, and as FIFA have already suggested multiple host bids would not be accepted, why are they going for this? Would NI, Scotland and Wales allow an Olympic style GB&NI team? I doubt it, as in 2012 where the majority of players were English anyway.

On 26/02/2021 at 13:09, Wanderer said:

At least there's a bit of variety here, Champions League bores me to death.

Was disappointed by Arsenal's late winner last night and we'll probably end up with a final of usual suspects e.g. United v Arsenal

Hope not

54 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The Governments of the UK & the Republic of Ireland have launched a joint bid to hold the 2032 football world cup. I can tell you right now this will never be approved by FIFA, as all 4 UK countries, England Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales would automatically qualify as hosts, as would Ireland, therefore filling 5 qualifying places, and as FIFA have already suggested multiple host bids would not be accepted, why are they going for this? Would NI, Scotland and Wales allow an Olympic style GB&NI team? I doubt it, as in 2012 where the majority of players were English anyway.

The only confirmed 'intentions to bid' so far are all partnership bids. The fewest number of teams that would qualify automatically from them is 3, the average is 4.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

good win for the gunners considering a travel to olympiacos is always testy.

Spurs win 2-0 V Dinamo Zagreb.

Is Granada a sneaky chance to win the entire thing? , seen a few of there games this year , they look like they know football.