Football

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

National anthem antics and nationalism in general effects many soccer occasions. Romania vs Kosovo was held up for 50 minutes whilst the crowd chanted pro Serbia anthems. It's because Football is a national sport, fans wrongly believe victory over a rival nation is a showing of national superiority. If Scotland had won the fans would like to think its a victory over England on a national importance level, it's not of course. 

RL isn't national sport except in PNG, so if England beat the Kangaroos it's a sporting victory,  not a put down of the nation of Australia as a whole.  That's my theory anyway.

I think to build on your good point as well, it is because football is so ingrained into so many peoples' lives. There are people who's entire identity, entire existence revolves around the football team they support and so everything they do has to be linked to their team. Everyone these people know, they have met through football and this will include political affiliations. So if a football fan meets a group of politically like minded individuals at a football game then they all associate their politics with football. Football is the one constant that runs through everything these people do. I've known people just like this myself. 

43 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

footy.jpg

Everton's new stadium takes shape, approved by 777 the new American owners, in readiness for the slide to tier 10.

Edited by HawkMan

Don't watch this if you don't enjoy strong language, but I thought it was hilarious. 

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 16/09/2023 at 19:13, HawkMan said:

Everton's new stadium takes shape, approved by 777 the new American owners, in readiness for the slide to tier 10.

In fairness the slope is pretty sensible it should block out most of the smell from the sewage treatment plant next door.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Wow ! I genuinely had no idea the Premier League was worth so much.

5bn domestically from '22 to'25, and NBC alone pay 2bn, and that's the American market,  is it that popular in the USA ?

Changes afoot to tv deals in future and radical change to fixture calendar due to increase in Champions League format and club WC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66872347

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Brighton and Hove Albion,  an incredible success story reaches a peak achievement tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-66660443

Their second goal on Saturday v Man Utd was a thing of beauty.

I've recently started going to my local team again, just occasionally. It's £20+ to get in (same as Sheffield Eagles). They are playing tier 5 and are all full time pros. Crowds of 7000-9000.

The actual surprising thing is that the standard of football is better than in my youth. Maybe the players aren't relatively as good as when we were in the old Division 3, but they are playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and only hoof it up front when absolutely necessary. They will probably never score a goal like Brighton did, but they are trying.

The players are definitely fitter and the new stadium is 100 times a better place to watch the game. Crowds are up from around 3000-4000 average back then, dropping to fewer than 2000 if things weren't going well. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

27 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Their second goal on Saturday v Man Utd was a thing of beauty.

I've recently started going to my local team again, just occasionally. It's £20+ to get in (same as Sheffield Eagles). They are playing tier 5 and are all full time pros. Crowds of 7000-9000.

The actual surprising thing is that the standard of football is better than in my youth. Maybe the players aren't relatively as good as when we were in the old Division 3, but they are playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and only hoof it up front when absolutely necessary. They will probably never score a goal like Brighton did, but they are trying.

The players are definitely fitter and the new stadium is 100 times a better place to watch the game. Crowds are up from around 3000-4000 average back then, dropping to fewer than 2000 if things weren't going well. 

Would that be Chesterfield?

Regarding the football being better than in your youth, I think, with the exception of a few teams, football in the 1970s was far better than the 1980s and early 1990s and it took until the late 1990s for football to considerably move on from the 1970s

5 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Would that be Chesterfield?

Regarding the football being better than in your youth, I think, with the exception of a few teams, football in the 1970s was far better than the 1980s and early 1990s and it took until the late 1990s for football to considerably move on from the 1970s

Back pass rule changed everything.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Nothing in this but a nod in the direction of the *scale* of football in this country.

By my count, there are 21 live football matches being shown today either on mainstream broadcast or easily accessible free online platforms. About a dozen more if you subscribe to specific league/club channels and, obviously, another few if you locate a dodgy Premier League feed.

Right now, as I wait for the start of the next women's RL semi final, I can take my pick on the Sky EPG between live games from England, Scotland, Germany, Spain and Italy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

By my count, there are 21 live football matches being shown today either on mainstream broadcast or easily accessible free online platforms. About a dozen more if you subscribe to specific league/club channels and, obviously, another few if you locate a dodgy Premier League feed.

It's certainly come a long way from having only the ITV match at 3pm on Sunday's.

Everton finally managed to get a win, and a very well deserved one.

I don't know their circumstances, and maybe Everton just played like Man City, but Brentford looked truly dreadful and devoid of any threat at home against a team with one point from 5 games.

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Everton finally managed to get a win, and a very well deserved one.

I don't know their circumstances, and maybe Everton just played like Man City, but Brentford looked truly dreadful and devoid of any threat at home against a team with one point from 5 games.

Certainly they are missing Ivan Toney up front and will be counting the weeks and days until he can return from his gambling ban.

I thought Dwight McNeil probably had one of his best days in an Everton shirt yesterday forcing Bryan Mbuemo down the Brentford right further and further back to deal with him.

It was a positive team performance where the pressing of Brentford, in particularly Jansson, lead to a lot of poor distribution and misplaced passing that Everton seized upon.

I think Beto (despite missing a couple of chances) held the ball up well and brought others into the attack for the Blues.

On the whole, I’ve always thought Everton’s home form will keep them safe from  relegation this year, but even in that respect they’ve had a rough start to 2023/24 so yesterday’s win makes up some lost ground.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

On the whole, I’ve always thought Everton’s home form will keep them safe from  relegation this year, but even in that respect they’ve had a rough start to 2023/24 so yesterday’s win makes up some lost ground.

Luton sadly look out of their depth, Burnley play nice football but have no cutting edge, so maybe Everton will stay up by default. Sheffield United are the only promoted team I can see having a chance to stay up. Before anyone says, this is no worry for the game, last season all 3 promoted teams stayed up, so swings and roundabouts. It wouldn't surprise me if the same 6 teams involved in the promotion/ relegation between PL and Championship were involved again, but in reverse.

Edited by HawkMan

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Luton sadly look out of their depth, Burnley play nice football but have no cutting edge, so maybe Everton will stay up by default. Sheffield United are the only promoted team I can see having a chance to stay up. Before anyone says, this is no worry for the game, last season all 3 promoted teams stayed up, so swings and roundabouts. It wouldn't surprise me if the same 6 teams involved in the promotion/ relegation between PL and Championship were involved again, but in reverse.

Oh dear 😅 

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Oh dear 😅 

I didn't say it was a good chance!!

I also said,

It wouldn't surprise me if the same 6 teams involved in the promotion/ relegation between PL and Championship were involved again, but in reverse.

Bl00dy blowouts , reduce the Prem to 10 teams,  it's the only answer.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

I didn't say it was a good chance!!

I also said,

It wouldn't surprise me if the same 6 teams involved in the promotion/ relegation between PL and Championship were involved again, but in reverse.

Bl00dy blowouts , reduce the Prem to 10 teams,  it's the only answer.

The problem with reducing the Prem to 10 teams though is that it will really stifle expansion, I mean how are we supposed to grow football if there isn't a clear opportunity for new teams to get into the main competition? Broadcasters certainly won't be interested in covering it if we don't have teams in Hemel Hempstead and Cornwall! 

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2023 at 17:39, gingerjon said:

Nothing in this but a nod in the direction of the *scale* of football in this country.

Right now, as I wait for the start of the next women's RL semi final, I can take my pick on the Sky EPG between live games from England, Scotland, Germany, Spain and Italy.

For someone who has been a bit ill recently I'm glad of the football available every day really.

Started watching the Man Utd/ Palace game, that was over as a contest on the hour, switched to Kilmarnock v Hearts, that was entertaining for the last half hour, now watching Barcelona losing in Mallorca,  oh b#####ks they’ve equalised as I post this , and recorded Rochdale v Chesterfield which I'll watch afterwards.

Edited by HawkMan