Most successful Amateur Club in Challenge Cup

Whitehaven amateurs Kells have a decent Challenge Cup record. I recall three memorable appearances in the late 1980s around the time Warrington-bound Chris Rudd and Gary Chambers were in the team. They held Fulham 4-4 at the Recreation Ground in January 1987 before losing 22-14 a replay at Chiswick on a midweek afternoon; ran Hunslet extremely close at Elland Road in January 1986, losing 20-8; and in January 1988 drew a 6,000 crowd to the Recre for a tie with Leeds, who won 28-0.

In 1946, Kells restricted Warrington to a 3-0 victory in Cumbria before losing the second leg at Wilderspool 27-0.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall Wath Brow doing well at a London team with Edwards and Offiah a few years ago. It was at Kingstonian and they went in front several times

Ended up 44-18 think the brow set a few records that day. Marc Jackson (ex-Haven) only Amature to get M.o.M against a SL side. Same year Broncos reached the final.

Vague memory from donkeys' years ago telling me Cawoods once beat Halifax, but I might have made that up. Anybody able to confirm?

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Cawoods won 9-8 at Halifax in 1977, but it was the John Player Trophy rather than the Challenge Cup. Think I'm right in saying that Cawoods became West Hull?

Whitehaven amateurs Kells have a decent Challenge Cup record. I recall three memorable appearances in the late 1980s around the time Warrington-bound Chris Rudd and Gary Chambers were in the team. They held Fulham 4-4 at the Recreation Ground in January 1987 before losing 22-14 a replay at Chiswick on a midweek afternoon; ran Hunslet extremely close at Elland Road in January 1986, losing 20-8; and in January 1988 drew a 6,000 crowd to the Recre for a tie with Leeds, who won 28-0.

In 1946, Kells restricted Warrington to a 3-0 victory in Cumbria before losing the second leg at Wilderspool 27-0.

Also pushed Halifax very close around 10 years back. Can't believe I made the trip up for that on a Wednesday evening. Don't think I've ever been so cold before or since!

Millom have probably made the most appearances, but does successful mean beating pro clubs or progressing furthest in the cup? I have the results of every amateur team that ever played in the Challenge cup but it would be quite a task to work out the records of every amateur club individually. I think, without looking it up, only Oldham St. Annes and Egremont Rangers have "nilled" pro clubs. Pilks have had some great results. Ive seen Thatto Heath, Leigh East, Thornhill and Leigh Miners beat pro clubs. Always a pleasure!

Not sure about success, but I recall going to the Mount to watch Dewsbury Celtic play Wigan.  You used to be very close to the players at the Mount, and Celtic fans were giving Bill Ashurst some verbals, he grabbed one by the scarf and raised his fist, fortunately (for both of them I suppose) his teammates pulled him away!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Cawoods won 9-8 at Halifax in 1977, but it was the John Player Trophy rather than the Challenge Cup. Think I'm right in saying that Cawoods became West Hull?

You're not far off. West Hull had adopted their sponsor's name for that season.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just found it.

1996 Challenge Cup run:

1st Round: West Hull 100-2 Durham University

2nd Round: West Hull 35-18 Blackpool Gladiators

3rd Round: Highfield 20-35 West Hull

4th Round: West Hull 10-4 York

5th Round: West Hull 6-40 Wakefield Trinity

That's a pretty impressive run. Were Highfield semi pro in 1996?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Simms Cross, they held the lead against WIgan at the JJB stadium. They were 1-0 up for a while.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just found it.

1996 Challenge Cup run:

1st Round: West Hull 100-2 Durham University

2nd Round: West Hull 35-18 Blackpool Gladiators

3rd Round: Highfield 20-35 West Hull

4th Round: West Hull 10-4 York

5th Round: West Hull 6-40 Wakefield Trinity

That's a pretty impressive run. Were Highfield semi pro in 1996?

Yes and Blackpool Gladiators were. Though Blackpool played in the reserve league. Highfield became Prescot Panthers for the 1996 season but presumably changed name after the cup game

Didn't West Hull beat York in the 90s?

That was at the Boulevard and it was played in a blizzard with lightning thrown in for good measure. I've never seen a game played in conditions like it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived