Jump to content

Rant thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Why do morons who can't park cars insist on driving down our street (very narrow old cobbled one) plonking their car in a position that blocks everyone and then go in someone's house for ages? Freaks

I'm going to kill someone one of these days and there ain't a jury in the land that would convict me (except that one featuring Gingerjon and Shadow maybe)

One of the cultural things I found hard about Ireland was their attitude to driving. They'll just stop in the road, get out and go in a shop. 

Double yellow lines aren't even a consideration. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

One of the cultural things I found hard about Ireland was their attitude to driving. They'll just stop in the road, get out and go in a shop. 

Double yellow lines aren't even a consideration. 

It is only the kids who have had to take lessons.

Twenty years ago, there was not paint on the road outside of Norther Ireland and Dublin.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

One of the cultural things I found hard about Ireland was their attitude to driving. They'll just stop in the road, get out and go in a shop. 

Double yellow lines aren't even a consideration. 

Sounds quite a lot like Golders Green in North London, where I have spent quite a lot of time in the last few months. The standard mode of transport there is a large silver MPV, about 7 or 8 years old, with a big dent in the side and only one passenger other than the driver at most. And zero consideration for other users, hence the dent.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

My sisters husband (I should have just said brother in law to save time) comes from Cork. He's quite old now but a ride with him is very hair raising. He's absolutely minted but drives crappy old bangers that even I wouldn't be seen dead in. He's like 'Sure, it's fine'. 

I was in Cork in the days before everyone had a satnav. Not only was it incredibly confusing but terrifying trying to get around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sounds quite a lot like Golders Green in North London, where I have spent quite a lot of time in the last few months. The standard mode of transport there is a large silver MPV, about 7 or 8 years old, with a big dent in the side and only one passenger other than the driver at most. And zero consideration for other users, hence the dent.

The difference is that in Ireland it's not seen as a big deal. They have a very different attitude to driving. 

My inlaws live about a 5 minute walk from their nearest parish. They would literally never walk to mass. It can be quite comical as they are also always on the last minute. They'll be sat in the car waiting on one person in the house panicking about being late when they are about 300m away. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank Heavens the Schools start back this week . Had enough of going for a coffee or for a meal and having kids tearing about while their parents either ignore them , or come out with terrifying comments like "put that down Timothy or i will get very angry" , or "Don`t throw beans at that nice lady " ,apart from anything else it will cut down on food waste as the little blighters leave just about everything that`s put in front of them . 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bearman said:

People that think supermarket trolleys can only be pushed with their elbows.

Too lazy to stand upright

Parents who let kids sit in them - despite a sign on most of them saying not to . Really hygienic to . Hate that 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Thank Heavens the Schools start back this week . Had enough of going for a coffee or for a meal and having kids tearing about while their parents either ignore them , or come out with terrifying comments like "put that down Timothy or i will get very angry" , or "Don`t throw beans at that nice lady " ,apart from anything else it will cut down on food waste as the little blighters leave just about everything that`s put in front of them . 

On the flip side, parents who let their kids throw tantrums in the middle of supermarkets. Saturday afternoon, in a public place is not the time to start with the tough love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"On the flip side, parents who let their kids throw tantrums in the middle of supermarkets. Saturday afternoon, in a public place is not the time to start with the Taser tough love. "

Seriously, though, you are right. Those tantrums might be symptoms of deeper problems that shouting can't fix. 

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Thank Heavens the Schools start back this week . Had enough of going for a coffee or for a meal and having kids tearing about while their parents either ignore them , or come out with terrifying comments like "put that down Timothy or i will get very angry" , or "Don`t throw beans at that nice lady " ,apart from anything else it will cut down on food waste as the little blighters leave just about everything that`s put in front of them . 

They’re not as bad as the ones who shrug their shoulders and say “what’s he/she like ?” As if that excuses their offspring’s behaviour. Mind you they don’t like it if you answer it with “he/she is like a right horrible little b’stard“. Tends to upset them a bit I’ve found, especially those who seem to think it is mandatory to find their children adorable.

  • Haha 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just ordered new tyres for my car.  The current ones are nearing 5 years old and starting to feel old and unstable despite them still having a good bit of wear on them, time to get them swapped out and worn in before the winter.

Every tyre replacement website gives you the lovely tool to put in your registration number and it'll find the right tyres for you.  Unfortunately, every single website narrows the options to what seems to be the tyres they're trying to get rid of rather than the best ones for the car.

Manually putting tyre sizes in gave me a far wider selection on all sites, including ones that were safer, more efficient and quieter than any of the "optimised selections".

Is it really beyond these companies to actually offer quality assistance rather than use it as another excuse to rip off consumers?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2018 at 10:47 AM, Derwent said:

They’re not as bad as the ones who shrug their shoulders and say “what’s he/she like ?” As if that excuses their offspring’s behaviour. Mind you they don’t like it if you answer it with “he/she is like a right horrible little b’stard“. Tends to upset them a bit I’ve found, especially those who seem to think it is mandatory to find their children adorable.

If at all possible i go for the Basil Fawlty accidental elbow trick , works a treat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those ‘ warnings ‘ at the start of tv programmes .... this contains some bad language you may find upsetting , and some violence , and scenes of a sexual nature etc etc . Who is this , my granny ? I know what I’m watching !! Total nanny statism to the extreme . Treat you like a little kid or snowflake . And if I’ve got kids it’s my job to  decide what they watch on telly thanks . And these warnings are getting more widespread ... there’s some flashing lights ... give me a break . Individual responsibility anyone ? Really annoying those things - I think there’s reverse psychology in that if they say something like this has nudity and sex then they reckon about a million more will watch 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Those ‘ warnings ‘ at the start of tv programmes .... this contains some bad language you may find upsetting , and some violence , and scenes of a sexual nature etc etc . Who is this , my granny ? I know what I’m watching !! Total nanny statism to the extreme . Treat you like a little kid or snowflake . And if I’ve got kids it’s my job to  decide what they watch on telly thanks . And these warnings are getting more widespread ... there’s some flashing lights ... give me a break . Individual responsibility anyone ? Really annoying those things - I think there’s reverse psychology in that if they say something like this has nudity and sex then they reckon about a million more will watch 

Remember Channel 4's red triangle? Didn't do the viewing figures for their late-night programming any harm at all.

  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Road works, 6 sets on Burnley Road between Hebden and Halifax, and parents dropping the little darlings off at school, “we’ll just stop here and block all the traffic shall we darling?” 

Edited by Phil

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Road works, 6 sets on Burnley Road between Hebden and Halifax, and parents dropping the little darlings off at school, “we’ll just stop here and block all the traffic shall we darling?” 

That road was fine until morons started to believe it was a trunk road.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Why at the end of each programme of a drama series does it then show you whats happening in next weeks episode? That`s the whole point about drama , it`s drama , we don`t want to know .

Agree with that ... and even more annoyingly , why do tv shows spend two or three minutes at the start showing you what’s coming up in the show . I always fast forward those , why would I want to know before I see it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Agree with that ... and even more annoyingly , why do tv shows spend two or three minutes at the start showing you what’s coming up in the show . I always fast forward those , why would I want to know before I see it ?

So you can turn over, of course!?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knock knock

 

me: Hello

Them: Hello we’re spreading the joyous word of our lord the king of creation

me: off or I let this dog go (slams door)

  • Haha 1

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Halfway through the first week at the new job, and becoming re-acquainted with the largely theoretical train service of Thameslink. Amazingly, they're even worse than the last time I used them for my daily commute.

  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...