Death of the middle 8's ?

Toulouse and Toronto entered knowing the structures, when they win promotion to SL they will be better than the teams they replace. 

It's really rather simple.

If we want Toulouse and Toronto in SL do we provide:-

a. A system that can get them in easily if they win CC

b. A system in which poorly performing M62 clubs will be given both a chance, and an advantage to block them year upon year.

That's how it is Craiq.

The system will be an even bigger disaster if it blocks expansion, the solution to the decline of the M62.

Show me how the above is wrong mate.....

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 current plus Leigh Bradford London Toronto Toulouse Newcastle another French club and hopefully Fev/Fax

Love to see South Wales in their also

One glaring omission from the potential lists is at least 1 Cumbrian team. Its sad that the 3 'professional' clubs can't get their act together because as an area its perfect for RL. They have a good sound base of amateur clubs and there's very little competition from other sports.

With good backing they could easily sustain 2 good sides (a North Cumbrian and a South Cumbrian)

This is has become one of the fantasy RL threads.

I remember one a few years ago where people were sayin we would have teams in , I can't remember where but it was like Barcelona, Dublin, Germany London and lords knows where like schoolboy make up teams time

Get real boys Toronto have not played a single game yet and you have them in a 2 division SL, Newcastle already have an extremely poorly supported team already , it is just very much soccer up there.

South and North Wales are not really interested bar a few die hards,I lived there ,it is RU in the south, soccer and to a lesser extent RU in the north .

Toulouse, maybe ,but a lot to do yet particularly if you don't want them filling the team with Southern Hemisphere players.

Also Bradford , Fev and Halifax have a huge mountain to climb just to be vaguely competitive never mind SL standard.

Cumbria, sadly those days have long gone.

I will be very interested to hear the Leigh fans comments on the current system if they are in the Qualifers next year with a rampant team threatening to come up from the Championship, trust me it will feel very different then. The system will not seem such a great idea

I await the usual suspects tearing this post to pieces but deep down inside you all know I am not very far from the mark

Before you start as well , I have been a season ticket holder at a current SL club for a very very long time so I have seen ( and done ) a fair bit in the RL world. I am by no means a flat capper just a very experienced realist.

One glaring omission from the potential lists is at least 1 Cumbrian team. Its sad that the 3 'professional' clubs can't get their act together because as an area its perfect for RL. They have a good sound base of amateur clubs and there's very little competition from other sports.

With good backing they could easily sustain 2 good sides (a North Cumbrian and a South Cumbrian)

Mate, where  have you been??

The game has been dying on it's 'arris there.

Number of speccies and players must be at an all time low in Cumbria.

Mate, where  have you been??

The game has been dying on it's 'arris there.

Number of speccies and players must be at an all time low in Cumbria.

Largely due to the poorly run 'professional' clubs. There's till a fair number of good young Cumbrian players knocking about but they get snapped up by the other SL clubs because they have nowhere to go in Cumbria. With a good financial backer in at least 1 of the clubs I still think they have better potential than some existing SL clubs and would see crowds better than those too (not mentioning any names but I think we all know who those clubs are with pi$$ poor crowds and / or poor junior development).

Largely due to the poorly run 'professional' clubs. There's till a fair number of good young Cumbrian players knocking about but they get snapped up by the other SL clubs because they have nowhere to go in Cumbria. With a good financial backer in at least 1 of the clubs I still think they have better potential than some existing SL clubs and would see crowds better than those too (not mentioning any names but I think we all know who those clubs are with pi$$ poor crowds and / or poor junior development).

And this great financial backer is?

You can start a team anywhere with "a great financial backer", Cumbria don't have one, and are not likely to get one as long as petty jam eating squabbles go on.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Largely due to the poorly run 'professional' clubs. There's till a fair number of good young Cumbrian players knocking about but they get snapped up by the other SL clubs because they have nowhere to go in Cumbria. With a good financial backer in at least 1 of the clubs I still think they have better potential than some existing SL clubs and would see crowds better than those too (not mentioning any names but I think we all know who those clubs are with pi$$ poor crowds and / or poor junior development).

How so?

Look up the Cumbria Junior ARL that now has to double up the age groups to be able to get teams out and how few kids teams there are, look at Cumbria Academy that IRC packed up earlier this year.

Over the last few years there's only been literally a handful of Cumbrians in SL.

The populations of Town and Haven are around 25,000 each.

If they had a rich backer, of course they could ship in a load of NRL players and be another Widnes, Salford or Wakey, after all SKY will now pay the full cap to any club going into SL.

I cannot see any potential, only as you say the (I'd say scant) possibility they may pick up a very rich man to buy an SL place. 

Which are the twenty clubs???

1. Leeds

2. Wakefield

3. Hull FC

4. Hull KR

5. Wigan

6. St. Helens

7. Warrington

8. Castleford

9. Leigh

10. Catalans

11. Huddersfield

12. Salford

13. Widnes

14. Toronto

15. Toulouse

16. London??

17. Bradford??

18. Errrrmmmmmm

19. S O Else

20. AN other

Why not explore possibilities here:

Aude Cathares

Avignon-Vaucluse-Provence

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived