England train-on squad, moment of truth?

Scubby

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on, Hill is top easy to wind up? Is that a wind-up?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I know what you mean with Burgess but I do think he'll get it in the end. Is Widdop guaranteed a spot has he played well enough this year. Next in line Hill probably to similar in temperament to Graham both too easy to wind up. The players guaranteed to start Watkins,Manfredi,Graham,Hodgson,Hill,Whitehead,Bateman and Burgess there's. no real stand out captains. So then your looking to see if any of the likely players you bring in could add that. Gale Sneyd and whisper it quietly Hodgkinson.

Manfredi is, unfortunately, out for the season.

Even though Houghton is in the dream team and short listed for the Mos I doubt he will get in the squad with Hodson and Clarke odds on to be the hookers.

Agree, Hodgson is a better version of Houghton for me, i.e. a solid hooker with a good passing game, great game management and a very good kicking game. Clark offers something different with an exceptional running game and i've been very impressed with his defence this year too.

Agree, Hodgson is a better version of Houghton for me, i.e. a solid hooker with a good passing game, great game management and a very good kicking game. Clarke offers something different with an exceptional running game and i've been very impressed with his defence this year too.

Agree with that. I'd be going for Hodgson/Clark as the Hooking combo with either Roby or Houghton in squad as backup

Given Hodgson has played at loose forward at times this season for Canberra, and O'Loughlin likely out, can we take Clark, Hodgson and Roby. I'd start Hodgson at hooker and Sam Burgess at LF. Bring on Clark for some zip, then move Burgess to prop and interchange Hodgson in at LF in final 3rd for some real creativity as defense tires. Roby in squad if Clark not quite had the desired effect against NZ and Scotland

With the above in mind I'm going with the below 24 man squad. No Tomkins due to form and fitness. Widdop is understudy FB. Once Tomkins pulled out last year we only had 1 dedicated FB in squad.

Lomax

Hall

Watkins

Cudjoe

McGilvery

Smith

Widdop

Graham

Hodgson

G Burgess

Whitehead

Farrell

S Burgess

Clark

T Burgess

Hill

Bateman

Roby

J Burgess

Sarginson

Sneyd

Gale/ Williams

Cooper

Ferres

Three different styles at hooker, (discounting Roby who I dont think will get a shot). None of them would let us down.

It has made it difficult with both Leeds and Huddersfield playing the way they have this year. Injuries to Manfredi and Currie, unfortunately, have opened it up to others who's form could have been better - Watkins, Hall, Cudjoe and McGilvaray. As a result I would probably pick Burgess over Hall and Sarginson over Cudjoe. Atkins hasn't done a lot wrong either. Frankly, I haven't seen much of Leeds so maybe other will chip in.

I think Taylor, despite last weeks game where I think he never shook off the first hit, deserves his chance and Hill deserves to start. He's always done well internationally and IMO has better hands than GB.

Gale has been the form halfback in SL this year. Can be aggressive, not afraid to challenge the line and a good organiser. Has to play.

Fullback? Although I would like to think Shaul or Russell had a chance I still think Hardaker might still creep in!

Watkins and Atkins in the centres for me

As for Captain - Graham would be my choice

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Watkins and Atkins in the centres for me

As for Captain - Graham would be my choice

I think this highlights how weak we are at Centre. Watkins has been average this season. Atkins may have had a decent season but hes refused England call ups in the past. Why should he take a place now that he suddenly feels like playing again?

I think this highlights how weak we are at Centre. Watkins has been average this season. Atkins may have had a decent season but hes refused England call ups in the past. Why should he take a place now that he suddenly feels like playing?l again?

I think if fit Currie and Watkins would have been the centres. Watkins has had a much better second half of the season. Now I think it is time for Percival to get his chance. He is a classy player and over his injuries. Atkins will not cut it as an international centre as he will not supply his winger. Great direct runner but will get found out. Sarginson was outstanding in 2014 but that seems a long time ago now.

It is not a strong area for us. 

Has there actually been any announcement of an announcement of a squad for this week?  Or are we just hoping that there will be something before the GF?

As for who I'd like to see in the team, I think that a few places are up for grabs and that combinations of players will be key.  For example if we have Shaul/Hardaker as FB then I'd like to see more of a 3rd pivot playing 13.  Given that SoL is injured, Wilkin is well past his best and I can't straight away think of another creative 13 that would suggest that we should have someone like Lomax playing FB and a bigger, more direct 13.  Personally I like to see Sam Burgess there, can do the big yards up front but also pop up a bit wider and spot the gaps/weaker defenders.  Though I quite like the idea of maybe playing Hodgson at loose for a while as mentioned above.

I also like the ideas of keeping club partnerships together.  For me, and I know that a lot of people will disagree with this, but you either have to have both McGilvary and Cudjoe or neither.  I think that their club relationship gives them a more-than-the-sum-of-the-parts feel to them.  Given that there are few options in the centres this probably plays into both of their hands.

I'll give 2 sides to try and hedge my bets and to try to address the issues above.

Lomax

Hall

Watkins

Cudjoe

McGilvary

Widdop

Gale

Graham

Hodgson

Hill

Whitehead

Bateman

S Burgess

G Burgess

T Burgess

Clarke

Ferres

OR

Shaul

Burgess

Watkins

Percival

Hall

Widdop

Sneyd

Graham

Hodgson

Hill

Whitehead

S Burgess

??? (Is Glenn Stewart available...?  :ph34r: )

Taylor

Houghton

G/T Burgess

Bateman

I think this highlights how weak we are at Centre. Watkins has been average this season. Atkins may have had a decent season but hes refused England call ups in the past. Why should he take a place now that he suddenly feels like playing again?

has Atkins refused callups?

has Atkins refused callups?

News to me. It was pretty well known that McNamara didn't rate him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

​Amazed that anybody thinks that Burgess would be on the wing . Not exactly set the world on fire in Australia , but slightly better at Souths and of course Bennett will have see this close up.

McGilveray and Hall I would think. I suspect ay least one Morris in the squad as well. 

​Amazed that anybody thinks that Burgess would be on the wing . Not exactly set the world on fire in Australia , but slightly better at Souths and of course Bennett will have see this close up.

McGilveray and Hall I would think. I suspect ay least one Morris in the squad as well. 

I think that the problem is that with all the backs no one has really put their hand up this year.  You could argue that there is only one fit and firing outside English back at the moment in Atkins.  Injuries (Manfredi, Makinson), personal form (Joe Burgess), or playing in the middle 8s (Leeds, who have up to 3/4 of the back line themselves, and Hudds) has meant that all the usual contenders are poor options this year.  Maybe we should be mentioning the likes of Johnstone at Wakey?

I think that the problem is that with all the backs no one has really put their hand up this year.  You could argue that there is only one fit and firing outside English back at the moment in Atkins.  Injuries (Manfredi, Makinson), personal form (Joe Burgess), or playing in the middle 8s (Leeds, who have up to 3/4 of the back line themselves, and Hudds) has meant that all the usual contenders are poor options this year.  Maybe we should be mentioning the likes of Johnstone at Wakey?

Johnstone has been below par in the second half of this season too.

As has been said, even in a poor team Cudjoe had looked absolutely top class, his stats back this up

As for being out of position, thats invariably because hes had to cover inside for a missing middle defender - the opening three tries scored by Leigh are q classic example, with Leigh getting 4 on 2 each time

As has been said, even in a poor team Cudjoe had looked absolutely top class, his stats back this up

As for being out of position, thats invariably because hes had to cover inside for a missing middle defender - the opening three tries scored by Leigh are q classic example, with Leigh getting 4 on 2 each time

Was that the Fev or Batley match ?? because I've never seen him look top class.

Archived