England train-on squad, moment of truth?

Scubby

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy with Atkins at centre. He's had a great year.

Surely Shaul has to be full back if everyone else has been ruled out? He's the Dream Team full back!

If you are going to give him a run now is the time. Either Shaul or Lomax needs to play against France. I would have both in the squad now Tomkins is crocked.

Can see Shaul being a bit like Hardaker last year tbh; a good club year then is virtually invisible on the international stage.

Don't see why Ratchford doesn't get much of a look in with England; versatile and skillful in a variety of positions makes him ideal for a national side.

Can't really argue with those calling for Shaul to get a chance, but I'd personally put Hardaker at full back, despite the strange season he's had. Centres would be Watkins and Cudjoe with Percival as back up.

Hardaker

McGilvary

Watkins

Cudjoe

J. Burgess

Widdop

Hodkinson (if he's in the squad he'll be starting half back)

Graham

Hodgson

Hill

Bateman

Whitehead

S. Burgess

G. Burgess

Clark

T. Burgess

Walmsley

Currie would have been a shoe in if not for injury.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

As has been said, even in a poor team Cudjoe had looked absolutely top class, his stats back this up

As for being out of position, thats invariably because hes had to cover inside for a missing middle defender - the opening three tries scored by Leigh are q classic example, with Leigh getting 4 on 2 each time

Yup, in the Leigh game Leroy and Jerry, were outnumbered, as Leigh loaded the left side of their attack and for some reason Hudds didn't respond to this with the required numbers.  Leroy has had a good season in a struggling team.

There are rumours that Gareth Ellis would consider coming out of international retirement if asked.

Too old and frankly wouldn't be in my squad nevermind 17. He's been excellent for Hull this year but the side needs some strong running second rowers and also needs to look to the future.

Agree on Ellis. This squad needs to have one eye on the WC next year. By all means pick the best 17 today but you also need a few development selections. I think England only has 5 games between now and the WC. Even if England wins the 4N, we all know how many injuries can happen across the next 12 months.

As has been said, even in a poor team Cudjoe had looked absolutely top class, his stats back this up

As for being out of position, thats invariably because hes had to cover inside for a missing middle defender - the opening three tries scored by Leigh are q classic example, with Leigh getting 4 on 2 each time

I have no axe to grind as far as Leroy is concerned, but it seems that people are making excuses for him in recent games, I differ, in that I have observed him as a neutral fan of the game over a number of years and defensive positioning is a frailty in his game, all to often he takes the wrong option, if his position was being selected on ball in hand only he would for me have a good chance of getting one of those spots but being strong defensively is also required and for that reason he should not be considered.

My opinion.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I have no axe to grind as far as Leroy is concerned, but it seems that people are making excuses for him in recent games, I differ, in that I have observed him as a neutral fan of the game over a number of years and defensive positioning is a frailty in his game, all to often he takes the wrong option, if his position was being selected on ball in hand only he would for me have a good chance of getting one of those spots but being strong defensively is also required and for that reason he should not be considered.

My opinion.

Thing is, watching him week in and week out most giants fans would say his positioning and defence is generally excellent, his tackling technique sometimes leaves a worry but he doesn't miss many at all

I'd also apply the same critical eye to his peers and they'd all come up with the same shortcomings

What can be said about Cudjoe is that when he marked up against Inglis,Inglis didn't get a sniff of space while Cudjoe did - sure it's one game but that's all anyone gets at times

Watkins defence and positioning is absolutely terrible by the way and at times his tackles have been worse than turnstile like

You'll need a corkscrew to get Ant out of Cudjoe's backside. He was dire against Leigh and no end of excuses and blaming other players can disguise the fact. Whilst Watkins may not be the best defensively, I wouldn't say Cudjoe was any better.

Centre and halfback are where we are considerably weaker than the aussies and no amount of arguing about it will actually improve that.As I've said on numerous occasions,it's down to coaching in the junior game, where coaches value size over ability.And before I'm accused of club bias, I don't think any Leeds player deserves an international call up this year.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Thing is, watching him week in and week out most giants fans would say his positioning and defence is generally excellent, his tackling technique sometimes leaves a worry but he doesn't miss many at all

I'd also apply the same critical eye to his peers and they'd all come up with the same shortcomings

What can be said about Cudjoe is that when he marked up against Inglis,Inglis didn't get a sniff of space while Cudjoe did - sure it's one game but that's all anyone gets at times

Watkins defence and positioning is absolutely terrible by the way and at times his tackles have been worse than turnstile like

Which game would that be then ?

I think, in time, Gildart and Percival could be a top class traditional centre pairing. Looking back 30 years I can't think of a time in which we have had more than 2 or 3 top class centres. Maybe Sarginson may benefit from NRL coaching? Can't fault the boy's ambition.

At least Williams looks like he could be an international class half back.

Too old and frankly wouldn't be in my squad nevermind 17. He's been excellent for Hull this year but the side needs some strong running second rowers and also needs to look to the future.

Then obviously you'd disregard O'Loughlin.

Shortlisted for Man of Steel, been immense all season, lifts the team when he comes on, but wouldn't have him in the team?

Best back rower in SL at the moment bar none.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I'm a neutral and I'd have Cudjoe at centre, been much better this season, did well when played internationally previously and would have him ahead of Atkins and Percival (although I think Percival has a lot of potential, I think he'd be bullied by the Aussie and Kiwi centres at the moment). Would probably have Watkins on the other centre but only because his last 3rd of a season has been good. The previous 2/3rds he wasn't even SL quality

I only went for Leeds players at Centre/wing due to injuries elsewhere. Is Percival fit. He doesn't seem to have payed for ages, although I haven't seen every Sts game

He has been injured a couple of times this season, which is unfortunate.  He doesn't appear to be the most resilient player, which is a pity as he is certainly a naturally talented centre.  However, it is likely he will feature in the semi final.  He has had a hamstring problem and they are notoriously difficult to assess so it will be a case of wait and see. 

i wouldnt have sneyd or sarginson anywhere near the england squad apart from goalkicking sneyd is clueless and sarginson is average at best 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Shortlisted for Man of Steel, been immense all season, lifts the team when he comes on, but wouldn't have him in the team?

Best back rower in SL at the moment bar none.

No I genuinely wouldn't. Picking Ellis isn't going to develop England as a side for the future and to be honest, I think Whitehead and S Burgess in the second row is a far better option than Ellis.

Archived