What does sky's new channels say about rugby league

To answer the post title - That it is no longer seen as a driver for SKY subscriptions

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some football clubs have their own channel, owned by them. Why can't the rfl set up their own? They could get the subscriptions, advert money etc. They could show the games they want. Aussie rules has its own channel and shows games live or recorded 24/7. Only about 16 teams in the league so plenty of re run of games

1 minute ago, kev p said:

Some football clubs have their own channel, owned by them. Why can't the rfl set up their own? They could get the subscriptions, advert money etc. They could show the games they want. Aussie rules has its own channel and shows games live or recorded 24/7. Only about 16 teams in the league so plenty of re run of games

great thought,fantastic proposal and maybe some clubs will do that at some point if they feel they can afford to... but the RFL... I have about as much faith in them making good decisions and being innovative as I do in there being world peace in the next century.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

To answer the post title - That it is no longer seen as a driver for SKY subscriptions

That's not the conclusion I came to. I expect the two football channels to be their cash cows but the Sky Sports Action and Arena channels are where they are putting darts and NFL which are big draws and I expect this is where they are expecting the most subscriptions after soccer. With RL joining them i see it as a big attraction.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Forestgravy said:

great thought,fantastic proposal and maybe some clubs will do that at some point if they feel they can afford to... but the RFL... I have about as much faith in them making good decisions and being innovative as I do in there being world peace in the next century.

Most people complained they tested the live stream of England which is exactly what would lead to them ha of their own channel becoming a reality - but it's along road that has to start with things like that test

11 hours ago, Forestgravy said:

In fairness they live streamed the england test and everyone kicked off

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

More channels, more space!

Yeh and more padding . Typical sky , super slick spin and presentation but just shuffling deckchairs around and making it sound like they're doing you a big big favour ... all ' at no extra cost'

19 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Does this mean less rugby though long term On sky? 

If anything Sky will need MORE Rugby League content to fill Arena and Action in the summer months, now that Golf and Cricket have their own channels. They might not be willing to pay much more, but even a regular Saturday afternoon game on the days Catalan aren't at home, plus Wolfpack home games in the evening will fill gaps and be worth televising

On 7/17/2017 at 3:32 PM, Oxford said:

I don't wish to discuss what it says about other sports especially on this forum, but I think the question is not what it says about TGG but what does it say about Sky?

What it says " as far as i can see is " league is a poorly supported minority sport that is nowhere near popular enough for It,s own chanell

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

I saw their advert on ITV last night.  No mention of RL at all.  It's as though they are ashamed of broadcasting our game.  We fill the gaps when there's no soccer.  Getting into bed with Sky was IMO a monumental error for which we are still paying 22 years down the road.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

25 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

We are not even "action" we are on arena whatever that means.

Darts is on the "action" channel which is probably the least active sport there is.

We're on both last i read

7 hours ago, Moc said:

In fairness they live streamed the england test and everyone kicked off

that was definitely NOT a good idea to reject free-to-air coverage on a Saturday morning when most people are at home and might happen to have the BBC on anyway

25 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I saw their advert on ITV last night.  No mention of RL at all.  It's as though they are ashamed of broadcasting our game.  We fill the gaps when there's no soccer.  Getting into bed with Sky was IMO a monumental error for which we are still paying 22 years down the road.

It's the biggest influx of cash into the game, without Sky, RL would be still PT and Wigan would have been champions for 30 years straight (some I know would have liked that)

Many of RL failings are down to RL itself and not Sky

16 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

that was definitely NOT a good idea to reject free-to-air coverage on a Saturday morning when most people are at home and might happen to have the BBC on anyway

Lets not get into this again, im not arguing for or against just that RFL/Eng RL did look into streaming options

1 hour ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

What it says " as far as i can see is " league is a poorly supported minority sport that is nowhere near popular enough for It,s own chanell

Sadly yes.......This is what worries me. 

It also dosen't say much for Union, that it cant get even a Co-channel with League.

I mean Golf, Cricket and F1 all got channels......

On 17/07/2017 at 3:13 PM, Saint 1 said:

If rugby league was on Freeview (what channel?) and available to stream, how much of the ~200m Sky currently give us do you think we would lose? 

What would Amazon pay to stream the games??

With Amazon you can also buy separate episodes as well as full series...

There is potential here... the issue here though is production.. however RL likes to break the mould!

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

It's the biggest influx of cash into the game, without Sky, RL would be still PT and Wigan would have been champions for 30 years straight (some I know would have liked that)

No one can possibly know what would have happened.  In 1995 Union was not even officially part time, let alone full time.  Their club game was a joke as far a crowds went.  Look at them today. All without selling out to anyone, or for that matter switching from their traditional season.  Marry in haste, repent at leisure.  And we certainly married Rupert in haste.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Yes that's what it say about how Sky see the game.

And yet there's the viewing figures which tell another side to the story.

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

I'm afraid that's pretty illogical Trojan without Sky there probably wouldn't be any RL left.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived