Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

30th Sept : The Million Pound Game : Leigh Centurions v Catalans Dragons K.O. 3pm Sky TV

Recommended Posts

Think comments about the coaching setup for next season are best left till after the mpg.

Hope Leigh aren't taking a fitness gamble too many with Brown, Langi, Paterson and Higham all making returns from injury and illness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Think comments about the coaching setup for next season are best left till after the mpg.

Hope Leigh aren't taking a fitness gamble too many with Brown, Langi, Paterson and Higham all making returns from injury and illness.

You're on your own in thinking that.  Beaumont has already announced it in the Leigh press.  

Keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the game draws nearer Im starting to fancy Catalans with their big game experience players. Think Bird could swing it bringing more focus on the disgraceful decision to reduce his ban for this very eventuality i.e. Cats being in the MPG if he did Leigh would rightfully be fuming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my tickets have arrived promptly via Postman Pat. Thank you Leigh ticket office, but as a Cats fan it has been hard explaining to my wife that I never wanted to go to this game, and still don't, but we have to go, and my son too.

We have a holiday home near Carcassonne and have seen quite a few home games over the past five years.

Compared to what I was used to, Catalans brought glamour, excitement and exotica to my dour northern game and anyone who has been to the Gilbert Brutus will know what I mean. Sun, the seaside, mountains, cool beer, churros, the Catalan national anthem, who wouldn't fall in love? Even the smell of French cigarettes and garlic added a definite 'je ne sais quoi'!!!

Ok, since then they have declined, and I never thought it would come to this.

But there is something so real, so solid there, and a dip mayy do them good long term.

Having said that, I still believe they can summon up reserves of energy, passion and belief on Saturday.

Catalans by five points.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

You're on your own in thinking that.  Beaumont has already announced it in the Leigh press.  

Keep up.

I'm fully aware of that. But more important things to talk about this week. 

There's a one off relegation play off game being played on Saturday. Keep up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

You're on your own in thinking that.  Beaumont has already announced it in the Leigh press.  

Keep up.

Fair comment LD, but if we all took everthing verbatim that people in higher places said there would probably no need for discussion sites such as this.

For what it is worth I think that Mr Beaumont in announcing that the coach is 'safe' and has got his job irrespective of Saturdays result for next season has been a little previous in calling that, personally I am judging the coach over the season by his player selection and the tactics he has employed, and I do not think he is the man for the job. I am not alone in coming to that conclusion, it is also the belief of a lot of the fans in the popular side of the stadium, so much so that they have voiced their opinion on social sites, and Mr Beaumont has taken to protect him on more than one occasion.

Hopefully Mr Beaumont in time proves to be correct, we fans would hate to be in the position to say 'we told you so'.

Edited by GaryO

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Fair comment LD, but if we all took everthing verbatim that people in higher places said there would probably no need for discussion sites such as this.

For what it is worth I think that Mr Beaumont in announcing that the coach is 'safe' and has got his job irrespective of Saturdays result for next season has been a little previous in calling that, personally I am judging the coach over the season by his player selection and the tactics he has employed, and I do not think he is the man for the job. I am not alone in coming to that conclusion, it is also the belief of a lot of the fans in the popular side of the stadium, so much so that they have voiced their opinion on social sites, and Mr Beaumont has taken to protect him on more than one occasion.

Hopefully Mr Beaumont in time proves to be correct, we fans would hate to be in the position to say 'we told you so'.

Well, Beaumont, Jukes and we know, things change.  Hed be daft to say he's going to sack him now Gary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I'm fully aware of that. But more important things to talk about this week. 

There's a one off relegation play off game being played on Saturday. Keep up.

Of course you were.  Remiss of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Well, Beaumont, Jukes and we know, things change.  Hed be daft to say he's going to sack him now Gary.

 

Agree with that statement, that is why I said he was previous in his announcement.

  • Like 1

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Order my ticket last night. Only 2 of the Calalan Dragons Supporters (North Wales Branch) can go  - or perhaps can face going! I have only been to a Catalan game when they have won once this season - and that was at Leigh Sports Village! Lets hope thats a good omen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phiggins said:

Think comments about the coaching setup for next season are best left till after the mpg.

Hope Leigh aren't taking a fitness gamble too many with Brown, Langi, Paterson and Higham all making returns from injury and illness.

Lots of pain killing injections by the sounds of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

But Thornley was a great prospect when at Wigan.  Highly thought of and upset Leneghan when he left for Rovers.  I think I'd back Wigans knowledge of him on that.

Yaha, who has improved in defence this year, should be in and DuPort back to centre.  That side will get hammered by Leigh, but at least those two know each other better.  I would put Thornley back at centre, where he's played most of his career and Williame on the wing.  The issue will be whether Inu plays.  I wouldn't pick him, but, based on performances, especially recently, there is a case for him keep Duport out.

No secret I rate SMc, as a coach and a person, but I could criticise on Cats not bringing anyone in.  Maybe it was tried, but just looking at previous recruitment - Thornley, Williame, Horo are all right sided players. Existing DuPort, Yaha are the same.  Not hard to work out if you want a balanced team.

Fair play about Thornley. Wigan don't make bad assessments. I still feel he dosent have game breaker about him though.

I would go Myler at FB, Tierney, Inu, duport, yaha, Albert, Walsh in the backs with williame on the bench.

Got to take some risks here 

Inu I feel is class just needs to be focused. If losing his job isn't enough what is? Face it alot of the Cats who haven't found a Club for next year already wont easily find one  given their showing this year....food for thought. 

Cats by 4pts.  Watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

Fair play about Thornley. Wigan don't make bad assessments. I still feel he dosent have game breaker about him though.

I would go Myler at FB, Tierney, Inu, duport, yaha, Albert, Walsh in the backs with williame on the bench.

Got to take some risks here 

Inu I feel is class just needs to be focused. If losing his job isn't enough what is? Face it alot of the Cats who haven't found a Club for next year already wont easily find one  given their showing this year....food for thought. 

Cats by 4pts.  Watch.

Judging by what I've seen of Thornley over the years, he's a decent (but not brilliant) player - if played in the right position, in a team that isn't dysfunctional.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phiggins said:

Think comments about the coaching setup for next season are best left till after the mpg.

Hope Leigh aren't taking a fitness gamble too many with Brown, Langi, Paterson and Higham all making returns from injury and illness.

Were is that info from Higgy, I am on the mailing list and not had that notification at 18:30 Thursday.


"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Order my ticket last night. Only 2 of the Calalan Dragons Supporters (North Wales Branch) can go  - or perhaps can face going! I have only been to a Catalan game when they have won once this season - and that was at Leigh Sports Village! Lets hope thats a good omen.

Not pleased that all you foreigners band together.:negative:


"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Were is that info from Higgy, I am on the mailing list and not had that notification at 18:30 Thursday.

19 man squad released, main feature on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Tempting fate there.

Shhhhhhhhhh.


"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I don't mean to sound churlish but isn't Catalans average attendance higher than that?

It is, but then again so is Leigh's(6500). Only Thursday yet so i'd expect a few more to come still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

I don't mean to sound churlish but isn't Catalans average attendance higher than that?

Not sure I see the relevance of Catalans average attendance. But 6k sales 2 days before the game is a good return for a club that's averaged 6.5k in games which included season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% Leigh to win and by a fair margin. I just hope all those hell bent on world domination take it on the chin and don't start 5000 threads condemning the RFL once it's over .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

100% Leigh to win and by a fair margin. I just hope all those hell bent on world domination take it on the chin and don't start 5000 threads condemning the RFL once it's over .

Have you not got something better to do, crack a few tinnies or cook some sausages or something;), everyone is tipping a clear Leigh win, and we all now what happens to clear favourites, and nobody say they useually win, please.

Weather absolutely attrocious with downpours today in Leigh, not expected to improve much, and forecast to pour down tomorrow morning and all through the match. 

  • Like 2

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...