Red Star Belgrade to join League One?

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Aren't they already involved in a Balkans Super league? I would like to see that become stronger with stronger domestic leagues underneath. 

I do agree with that, but the problem is, it has to be co-ordinated and there need to be 8-12 clubs all with a proper long-term plan in place in order for that to happen.  Red Star, if they are better equipped and will be ready decades earlier than all the other teams around them, then they are doing the right thing by going it alone.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bearman said:

Its been 10 years since I went with England Lionhearts but there has been very little growth since then and I really cannot see how this could happen.

As I say I hope I'm wrong.

Well you're at least partly wrong because there has been enormous growth in Serbian RL since 2007.

I guess they're already playing in an international club competition across the Balkans at the moment, so aiming for L1 might not be too far off. For me if the French league does professionalise that would perhaps be a better alternative due to the lower levels of finance that would be needed, but I'm not opposed to the idea at all. 

21 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I would love this to happen.  My visits to Belgrade are always fun and memorable.  That said, Serbia is an poor country compared to most of the region, let alone Western Europe.  That might be a problem.

I have a friend from Belgrade.  He doesn’t know anything about RL in the city!

Is it a speculation on very early days, or do the Serbs think L1 is a walkover.

League 1 isn't an easy league but if you recruit well and especially are full time you should get through it. The gap between Championship and League 1 is pretty massive. That's when the hard work really starts when you get promoted. 

Can't wait to see what RL is going to look like in 5 or so years time, will be interesting 

19511433_1375790279214260_3955754964281790455_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

Well you're at least partly wrong because there has been enormous growth in Serbian RL since 2007.

Indeed, they currently have approx. 300-350 active players, across all ages.  Not bad, but of course they'll want to increase that if they want it to be a decent production line for a League One team.

They do not think League One is easy at all, they are well aware of the challenge that lies ahead and that's precisely why they are saying it's a 5-10 year plan, a lot can happen between now and then.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

That's great. I'm really pleased

Could you put some numbers on that?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

17 minutes ago, langpark said:

Indeed, they currently have approx. 300-350 active players, across all ages.  Not bad, but of course they'll want to increase that if they want it to be a decent production line for a League One team.

They do not think League One is easy at all, they are well aware of the challenge that lies ahead and that's precisely why they are saying it's a 5-10 year plan, a lot can happen between now and then.

League 1 wouldn't be easy in the slightest for a Belgrade team. Toronto made it easy because they were well financed and a full time team full of Super League and Championship players. I am presuming a Belgrade team will be nothing like that. If they are a part time team full of home grown players they will find it hard going.

Just now, Damien said:

League 1 wouldn't be easy in the slightest for a Belgrade team. Toronto made it easy because they were well financed and a full time team full of Super League and Championship players. I am presuming a Belgrade team will be nothing like that. If they are a part time team full of home grown players they will find it hard going.

Again, by stating their ambition to apply in 5-10 years from now, they are in now way underestimating the enormity of the challenge.

I believe (and I've been watching Serbia closely now for years), that in 5-10 years from now, they can realistically aim for a 50% homegrown roster and be competitive at League One level.  Like I say, as things currently stand, they have about 5 players that I believe are capable of playing League One.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

The majority dont know about RL , i think its classed as a tier 3 sport which attracts no official funding

5 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Well jt must have been tiny in 2007 then ,

Rugby League was completely dormant there from 1964 to 2001. Rebuilding from a zero participation figure takes time. I doubt they have a lot of money to throw at the game there, either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

Never been to Serbia, what would the average wage be?

Just googled my own question. Unless my maths are totally wrong it is only about £4000 a year. Montenegro and Albania are only slightly more with Croatia about £7000.

At times like this I do wonder if less is more and whether a targeted approach to development would be better. Target profits from the World Cup into setting up and subsidising a semi professional Balkan league, say with 12 teams with a set wage. Employ some development officers in these countries also. You could then have a fairly well paid part time league (for those countries) for a relatively small outlay and make Rugby League much stronger in 4 countries in Europe. 

22 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Did he say that things were really best left unspoken?  I prefer it all to be out in the open.

I'm just hoping it spreads to the Czech Republic so that I can finally get a Dukla  Prague away kit for Christmas. I've been wanting one for 30 years now. 

The real challenge is for the RFL. It really needs to sort out a medium to long term strategic plan for expansion in the northern hemisphere. Surely we have enough well paid administrators to do this? The main issue seems to be a lack of viable pro/semi-pro leagues for teams to play in. And the obvious lack of financial clout or backing. 

We seem to be at the cusp of a new era for sport, a chance to rethink the possibilities in a globalised world, but I'm not convinced the RFL are ready to grasp that opportunity. 

8 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

The question is would a Belgrade club be expected to pay for the travel and accommodation of away clubs? If so it may be difficult to find someone willing to pick up the bill. 

as for accommodation they already own a hotel well more of a  hostel really but quite good quality  . they run it as a business and all profits from it go to Serbian rugby league . so I suppose that's the accommodation sorted out. I would imagine a deal could be done with the Serbian airline on travel  

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

37 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I'm just hoping it spreads to the Czech Republic so that I can finally get a Dukla  Prague away kit for Christmas. I've been wanting one for 30 years now. 

The real challenge is for the RFL. It really needs to sort out a medium to long term strategic plan for expansion in the northern hemisphere. Surely we have enough well paid administrators to do this? The main issue seems to be a lack of viable pro/semi-pro leagues for teams to play in. And the obvious lack of financial clout or backing. 

We seem to be at the cusp of a new era for sport, a chance to rethink the possibilities in a globalised world, but I'm not convinced the RFL are ready to grasp that opportunity. 

Half Man -Half Biscuit?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Because Serbia is not in the EU,  I think they have found it Hard to get players to an English Club. Whitehaven and Warrington I think had some on trial in the past. I think a Couple played in France.

I think its a good way for Serbs to progress and a more logical way. This way meant Serbs would not need to try and get a Visa to play at a higher Level or need to leave home. Obviously it needs to be looked at properly and in depth. But for Serbian RL it would be a big Boost. 

33 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Of Dickie Davis Eyes fame. When music was still cool. 

Mention the Lord of the Rings one more time and I'll more than likely kill you.

Good to see so many Biscuits fans on here.  T.W.I.G. is one too I believe.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

I know nothing of the RL scene in Serbia so I cannot comment in any way other then to advise there are many people of Slavic origin in the Toronto area (as in tens of thousands if not more) and a visit from a club from that area would be a sellout.

Looking at the bigger picture with the fledgling success of TWP it seems to have opened a floodgate of interest and how is that not a wonderful thing for we who love RL?  The sport has gone from being almost invisible other then to its core support in M62 country to interest fostering from all over the place internationally.

13 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I would be surprised if it is that widely known.  To be fair, all this confirms is that rugby league is not utterly enormous.  Even when a sport is very big, not that many people are aware of it.  Last time I flew to Belgrade, the Air Serbia magazine had four pages on rugby league.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived