2018 Series v NZ

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, scotchy1 said:

Hull is an odd one. Capacity is less than half of Anfield and just more than half of Elland Road and its not in an area not already well served by games and honestly unless the RFL have gotten some sort of sweetheart deal from the SMC i cant see why that game hasnt been taken somewhere new/bigger.

I guess if It sells out with a few weeks to go it's going to increase demand for the latter two. 

I’m disappointed there’s no game in the south - makes it far more difficult for me to attend but also organise my club’s attendance at one of the fixtures. I took 100+ to the SF, 60 to the OP game in 2015 and another 50 last year against the Aussies. 

The only solace for me personally is at least the capacities are large at 2 x venues.

It is a hugely difficult thing for rugby league.  If they go for big grounds then they have hosting charges meaning far less money kept n the game BUT they get far more opportunities for people watching live games.  If they go for small grounds then the hosting costs and complexities are easier BUT far fewer people get to see them in person.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, pahars said:

I guess if It sells out with a few weeks to go it's going to increase demand for the latter two. 

It didn’t sell out in 2015 - early release and signposting is a massive improvement this turn of the wheel but hopefully that’s supported by constant promotion of the Series.

I liked it a couple of years ago when the RFL and SL announced that they would be taking London seriously and getting more games there. They haven't staged any more there. Wigan played one game and gave up. England games usually held there are now not.

I also liked this talk of Coventry and the City of Rugby initiative that the RFL is a partner of. Maybe Magic Weekend, or future internationals? Or maybe as expected just a one off event staged there.

I think the choices of Elland Road and Anfield support the lead up to the World Cup - we need to be staging bigger and bigger events in the North as that is where the majority will be. However London will also be used for the WC and we really shouldn't be abandoning it.

It is getting harder and harder to challenge the M62 Sport title, as this series is a perfect demonstration of an M62 Sport - Liverpool to Hull with  a stop in Leeds!

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I liked it a couple of years ago when the RFL and SL announced that they would be taking London seriously and getting more games there. They haven't staged any more there. Wigan played one game and gave up. England games usually held there are now not.

I also liked this talk of Coventry and the City of Rugby initiative that the RFL is a partner of. Maybe Magic Weekend, or future internationals? Or maybe as expected just a one off event staged there.

I think the choices of Elland Road and Anfield support the lead up to the World Cup - we need to be staging bigger and bigger events in the North as that is where the majority will be. However London will also be used for the WC and we really shouldn't be abandoning it.

It is getting harder and harder to challenge the M62 Sport title, as this series is a perfect demonstration of an M62 Sport - Liverpool to Hull with  a stop in Leeds!

Rugby League's retreat to the North of England continues.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

As others have said, I'd have swapped the Hull game for a London venue. I just think 1 each side of the Pennines and one in London is a good fit and a good spread.

It also struck me that Anfield and Elland Road could be with a view to building relations with Liverpool and Leeds in the run up to the world cup, which again would have supported a London venue

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

34 minutes ago, ckn said:

This tickets and grounds thing a year in advance is just not right.  It's just not rugby.  It should be announced with weeks to go and the ground locations disclosed via cryptic clues scattered across the country.

Seriously though, it's nice having that much notice for a change.

Agreed, now I know that the closest game to where I live in the capital will be 300 miles away, I can plan to do something else with my time. Maybe a city break.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I was getting ready to setup a What's App group for a group of mates to arrange a weekend in London to coincide with one of the games, but sadly there aren't any. Just the local ones. The venues are ok, but as others have said, would have preferred London instead of KCOM. Elland Road and Anfield are particularly uncomfortable to watch live sport but I will just have to put up with it. Would have liked to have visited Etihad

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agreed, now I know that the closest game to where I live in the capital will be 300 miles away, I can plan to do something else with my time. Maybe a city break.

Don't worry, there will be loads of other sports catering for you in the Capital at that time.

You don't need RL, and clearly RL does not need you!

Hull is a strange choice and for the first game - surely you go big with the first one?  If we win the first two it will be harder to sell the third one (or impossible if we lose the first two!!) 

Would have liked Etihad but Anfield and Elland Road are decent choices and i will go to both of them, followed by a night on the beer in the city in question.

Not having London is a strange one. 2016 crowd was a disappointment there, but RFL have to shoulder significantly blame for late release of venues. No England games advertised in England until 2020, so that will be 4 years since an England game which is admittedly too long.

Whilst the M62 perception is a problem for our game, so are empty seats, so maybe that is why they have plumped for ‘Northern Powerhouse’ venues.

We do however have the Challenge Cup in London, with 20-30k empty seats. Maybe a strategy to focus entirely on that as the London event. Maybe some fans don’t go if an England game later in the year in London, and the RFL will focus their southern mailing list on that with some sweetners?

In 2019 we’ll have big events in Manchester, London, Newcastle, Leeds, Hull and Liverpool. Should at least challenge a ‘small town’ perception.

Also nice to we are not totally in Wasps  by being able to say no to Coventry

5 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Not having London is a strange one. 2015 crowd was a disappointment there, but RFL have to shoulder significantly blame for late release of venues. No England games advertised in England until 2019, so that will be 4 years since an England game which is admittedly too long

A pedant writes - the disappointing crowd was last year, second year in a row at the Olympic stadium. As it was a success in 2015, they went again but since it didn't work as well second time round, rather than address some of the issues that contributed to that, it seems they have given up which is a huge shame.  

EDIT - Just seen you've edited this now, but my general point about the RFL not addressing the "failure" of the last visit still works

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There is nothing to stop the RFL playing a warm up test in London or the South in 2018. A test against france in a 15-20k stadium could still sell extremely well. If you were looking at Ashton Gate Bristol, The Stoop or Milton Keynes. However, the will has to be there to do this and entertain a market outside the M62. I'm really sceptical as to whether it is?

3 Tests all within driving distance of our core clubs. Job done :sad:

Archived