Are we being monitored?

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

not for me- don't have a smartfone- never will

Neither have I, just stating the fact that where ever you go now a days your being watched and tracked.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

not for me- don't have a smartfone- never will

When your current phone starts to play up, and you replace it, how will you know what tracking software is concealed within the new gear?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Even a dumbphone's position can be triangulated pretty accurately on a moment-by-moment basis, based on which aerials are transmitting to and receiving from it.

Believe me, I went through many very dull but well-documented pages of this stuff while doing jury duty on a murder trial in 2016.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Personally, I'd just leave it all to the Russians. They track everything and I don't really mind if they want to know when and where I go to the bog. If there's anything I want to hide from them, I just use one-time pads and my usual drop boxes.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

that "I don't know my pension" advert always makes me laugh, as if they want to help us, for free! more like they want us to give them as much detail as possible about ourselves.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

and why does the bbc want to track my physical location just to use their weather service which you now have to log in to see what the weathers gonna do- al use my barometer instead thanks.

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and why does the bbc want to track my physical location just to use their weather service which you now have to log in to see what the weathers gonna do- al use my barometer instead thanks.

I'd guess so they can give you local weather news?

28 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I'd guess so they can give you local weather news?

you used to just be able to type in a city or town and save it as a favourite, not anymore though, they need more info on YOU now

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

you used to just be able to type in a city or town and save it as a favourite, not anymore though, they need more info on YOU now

You can still type in a name and save it as a favourite.

You can also set your browser preferences for being tracked/located by websites.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You can still type in a name and save it as a favourite.

You can also set your browser preferences for being tracked/located by websites.

not on my pc - it changed last week I think

12 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

not on my pc - it changed last week I think

My computer still tells me the weather in California.  As I live in Denmark now, that seems plain cruel.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 17/02/2018 at 2:57 PM, Bearman said:

A couple of weeks ago I read an article in the paper,  in which the writer claimed that she had noticed that when out window shopping she would start getting pop up ads on her phone. The ads were for the very items she had been loking at.

She mentioned this to the friend she had been shopping with and she too reported it had happened to her too.

Last week I saw a clip on tv of someone in America who had switched off their phone and then taken a convoluted route around Washington DC. He then switched on his phone and connected it to some sophisticated software and lo and behold he could retrace his earlier route.

I only took passing interest in this but this morning a funny thing happened to me.

I set out to go to a Supermarket not my nearest one but another that I go to most Saturdays as I can bank there. I haven't been for 3 weeks. I got into my car and happened to look at my phone which was telling me that the supermarket I was going to was 5 minutes away. How did it know I was going there?

As soon as I saw the message it came back to me that in fact that wasn't he first time it had happened. In my working life I drive around from one location to another and on reflection I have seen that my phone has occasionally predicted where my next call will be.

I will start taking note of when this happens in future.

Am I paranoid?

No your phone has definitely been infected. You must smash it up immediately before it gets control. Warning don’t read this message on your phone or it will know what you’re up to. 

don't hang your dirty washing out in public used to be the saying before facebook came along, ripped it off the line and dragged it up and down the street.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Bearman said:

Am I paranoid?

Only if you believe in coincidence and the things on you phone are only there to help you and for no other reason.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 2/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, Shadow said:

when half the world is busy taking pictures of their lunch

Only half?

There's a bit in that french film La Gloire de Mon Pere where the Dad laughs at someone for having his picture taken with a fish he's caught and the whole story leads to him having his photo taken with two birds he shot. Now we're down "Look at me with my Burger!":O

And there are still people maintaining the world's not going to hell in a hand basket!:D

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Last night, I saw Sinead O’Connor on telly. I mentioned this to the wife where we both agreed that she was to neither of our tastes. We then went on to talking about where we’d go once we had a bit of money spare and decided that Sorrento or maybe somewhere hot and beachy would be nice. 

Couple of hours later I was on YouTube and five of the first seven recommendations were Sinead O’Connor despite me struggling to remember EVER looking for her on there. Two adverts on here were for holidays, one Sorrento and the other a “come talk to us, we can help you find a perfect break”. 

Coincidence is stretching a bit with that. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

37 minutes ago, ckn said:

Last night, I saw Sinead O’Connor on telly. I mentioned this to the wife where we both agreed that she was to neither of our tastes. We then went on to talking about where we’d go once we had a bit of money spare and decided that Sorrento or maybe somewhere hot and beachy would be nice. 

Couple of hours later I was on YouTube and five of the first seven recommendations were Sinead O’Connor despite me struggling to remember EVER looking for her on there. Two adverts on here were for holidays, one Sorrento and the other a “come talk to us, we can help you find a perfect break”. 

Do you have a voice activated connected device (Amazon Echo etc) in your house? I was bought one for Christmas, I got it out of the box and that is about it, I don’t think i will be setting it up.

5 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Do you have a voice activated connected device (Amazon Echo etc) in your house? I was bought one for Christmas, I got it out of the box and that is about it, I don’t think i will be setting it up.

I refuse to have voice activated stuff like that.  I can't see their benefit, never mind enough of a benefit to override the enormous privacy implications.

I have Siri on our phones set to only activate when I physically hold the button.  I'm not naive enough to believe the guff from the manufacturers that it's never activated at any other time.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Yet, despite spending 17 hours a day on an RL forum, I still don't see an advert for RL events anywhere I go! :biggrin:

53 minutes ago, Mark S said:

we got one for Christmas and love it. Mainly just used for music, and I've no doubt she is spying on us, but she can stay for now.

When I read the topic a couple of days ago, I put this all down to coincidence or some such. However later that day I was having a conversation at work where someone was showing me something they had bought for their lunch, an odd brand I'd never seen or heard before so certainly hadn't looked it up. Later that day I started seeing adverts for this brand on my phone, so there could be something in it (or I had just never seen the ads before!)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

11 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

When I read the topic a couple of days ago, I put this all down to coincidence or some such. However later that day I was having a conversation at work where someone was showing me something they had bought for their lunch, an odd brand I'd never seen or heard before so certainly hadn't looked it up. Later that day I started seeing adverts for this brand on my phone, so there could be something in it (or I had just never seen the ads before!)

I suggest that this was maybe a new brand on the market, hence your colleague showing you as it was new, and they are advertising heavily. As you had this brand fresh in your memory, their advertising stood out to you.

Or the more simple solution that your colleague is an advertising robot planted by that brand.

Archived