Jump to content

Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


On 21 June 2019 at 14:39, Allora said:

Its a poor set up Dave that seems to have no planning or organisation.

It sets our game back in a massive way.

Once Australia said they had no interest it should have been cancelled IMO.

I think it will be like the Titanic

 

What,the upcoming GB tour or the last World Cup ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

What,the upcoming GB tour or the last World Cup ?

You really are a mug aren't you :kolobok_laugh1:

  • Haha 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

RL in Australia is a billion dollar sport, a few sacrifices for the greater good can be made here and there and it puts vital cash into the pockets of Wales,Scotland & Ireland!

I don't disagree with you I'm just pointing out that Im sure you know a game versus Saints or Leeds could raise half a million quid or more half going to Aussies could make the tour a viable business opportunity. The NRL is not a charity and with them already losing money on games in NZ I'm sure they don't want to just carry on losing money every time they play international RL. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Just in case people haven't been following developments on the new kits thread, I just thought I'd draw your attention to the GB RL related activity that is scheduled for tomorrow. I think I'm correct that the new kit is being launched tomorrow.

https://www.rugby-league.com/great_britain_rugby_league

https://twitter.com/TheRFL/status/1153364369859915777/video/1

There's a GB RL link on the RFL website now, which is good to see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, although I don't use Twitter myself, I enjoyed reading the comments on this page:

https://twitter.com/TheRFL/status/1153323791776452608/photo/1

At the same time, it annoyed me. Look at the comments and what do you notice is the key theme for almost everyone? - AUSTRALIA. The Kangaroos.

That's no disrespect to New Zealand, France, PNG or anyone else that GB used to play, but it's clear what everyone's main memories and focus was. I'm no different. For me it was vague memories of the 86 series, and much better memories of the 90 series.

And to think that the one team GB won't be playing this year is the Aussies. The Aussie RL administrators (I hope I'm right to blame them, but I'll withdraw it if I'm wrong) should hang their heads in shame reading that twitter feed!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The new Jersey is basically the England top,in terms of shape,but with blue shoulders and chevrons on the front..

Like the 2006 GB shirt but with no collar  

Thought we were getting the iconic one back? not just a rehash of a “recent” one ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The new Jersey is basically the England top,in terms of shape,but with blue shoulders and chevrons on the front..

Like the 2006 GB shirt but with no collar  

Have you seen it in its entirety, Spud, or are you just piecing things together from what you've seen so far?

I just wondered if it has the British Isles XIII badge, and also what colour the shorts and socks are.

Or maybe I could just wait for tomorrow. It feels a bit like Christmas Eve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well decided to take the plunge and booked on Saturday, we were going to do all the games including PNG, the missus whenever we book any holiday researches the places we are visiting, nothing but horror stories and government warnings not to travel to Port Moresby unless it is absolutely necessary, our holiday insurance albeit it is for worldwide any country will not cover PNG, consequently we are not visiting, so we have to put up with v. Tonga in Hamilton, First test triple header v. NZ plus Fiji v Samoa and Aus v Tonga in Auckland and finally the second test v NZ in Christchurch, my only hope is we do not select and play any Johnny Foreigners we have enough talent of our own to select from, having Bennett as coach is more than enough for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well decided to take the plunge and booked on Saturday, we were going to do all the games including PNG, the missus whenever we book any holiday researches the places we are visiting, nothing but horror stories and government warnings not to travel to Port Moresby unless it is absolutely necessary, our holiday insurance albeit it is for worldwide any country will not cover PNG, consequently we are not visiting, so we have to put up with v. Tonga in Hamilton, First test triple header v. NZ plus Fiji v Samoa and Aus v Tonga in Auckland and finally the second test v NZ in Christchurch, my only hope is we do not select and play any Johnny Foreigners we have enough talent of our own to select from, having Bennett as coach is more than enough for me.

sounds fantastic!!!

I'm looking forward to the kids being older so that either they can come or (more likely) they can stay home on their own (only because I am actually responsible and it would be in term time and they will have work to do of course!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RP London said:

sounds fantastic!!!

I'm looking forward to the kids being older so that either they can come or (more likely) they can stay home on their own (only because I am actually responsible and it would be in term time and they will have work to do of course!)

Yes, we are fortunate to have the time, resouces and freedom from your kind of responsibilities to please ourselves, the downside is it comes with the passing of time. 

Speaking to the tour organiser we have booked with he said that this tour is one of the worst subscribed to because of the organisational side and the dragging of the feet from the RLIF in finalising and making the announcement, not anything he believes that a few moaners have said about the GB team's long awaited reawakening.

We went on the '92 tour to Aus along with an estimated 10,000 others travelling from Blighty but in those days we had 4 years to organise, save holidays, and save money to finance it, I am sure given the same timescales to prepare we could easily reach if not exceed those numbers today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, we are fortunate to have the time, resouces and freedom from your kind of responsibilities to please ourselves, the downside is it comes with the passing of time. 

Speaking to the tour organiser we have booked with he said that this tour is one of the worst subscribed to because of the organisational side and the dragging of the feet from the RLIF in finalising and making the announcement, not anything he believes that a few moaners have said about the GB team's long awaited reawakening.

We went on the '92 tour to Aus along with an estimated 10,000 others travelling from Blighty but in those days we had 4 years to organise, save holidays, and save money to finance it, I am sure given the same timescales to prepare we could easily reach if not exceed those numbers today.

yes, certainly not wishing away the years (kids are 11 and 8 with one just about to start secondary school so they are great right now but teenage years are round the corner!)but just something to look forward too i suppose. 

That does not sound good from the tour operator. I am not sure GB as the concept (or as a name) will save all but if we can get that to be a proper tour people will enjoy it for the tour itself and the great places and variety of teams you can get to see..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Best do it in the next half hour cos Boris is gonna take over social media at 11:45.

I'm sure the GB people have thought about that....

Only way to win that one would be to unveil Boris as PM while wearing the new GB strip.......

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, we are fortunate to have the time, resouces and freedom from your kind of responsibilities to please ourselves, the downside is it comes with the passing of time. 

Speaking to the tour organiser we have booked with he said that this tour is one of the worst subscribed to because of the organisational side and the dragging of the feet from the RLIF in finalising and making the announcement, not anything he believes that a few moaners have said about the GB team's long awaited reawakening.

We went on the '92 tour to Aus along with an estimated 10,000 others travelling from Blighty but in those days we had 4 years to organise, save holidays, and save money to finance it, I am sure given the same timescales to prepare we could easily reach if not exceed those numbers today.

I hope you have a great trip, Harry. It's a shame about the PNG game, but I guess you have to be realistic about these things. No point putting yourselves at potential risk if all the advice is not to go. Visiting New Zealand should be great though.

I'm not surprised if the tour isn't the best supported by the fans. I don't think it being Great Britain has anything to do with it though. Why would there be any less for GB than for England, when we all know that playing wise it's very similar?

I think one of the reasons putting people off is that there's no match against Australia, and perhaps also because it is only a tour, rather than being a specific competition.

Imagine if it had been a Five Nations championship - GB, NZ, Aus, Tonga, PNG. That for me would have been much more appealing, because we'd actually be playing for something.

Alternatively, even just swapping one NZ match for a game against Australia would have made a difference. You could then aim to win the Grand Slam and beat all the teams you're playing, a bit like touring southern hemisphere teams aim to do with the autumn internationals in rugby union. What we're getting is something in between. It's a start though. Maybe in four or five years time they can do things slightly differently and even more people will want to go. Let's invoke the spirit of Matt Shaw and be positive about things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...