Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

6 minutes ago, my missus said:

just watched Greenland starring gerard butler a disaster movie about a planet killing comet heading for the earth,sounds like your typical disaster movie but it is absolutely brilliantly done.

The BBC film critic Mark Kermode, who has frequently ridiculed Gerrrrrrrarrrrrrd Butlerrrrrrrr! movies, said he's watched it several times already and absolutely loved it. A proper OTT disaster flick in all the best ways, apparently.

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think they did a bad job, tbh. The army of wide eyed kids who watched the original film in 1977 couldn't go online on forums and twitter and whatnot to pull the plot to bits within minute

And the glaring plot hole   

Following a suitable period of reflection  

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, my missus said:

just watched Greenland starring gerard butler a disaster movie about a planet killing comet heading for the earth,sounds like your typical disaster movie but it is absolutely brilliantly done.

Yeah. I liked it. When it started I just thought 2012 but by the end thought it was much better

How many films have been made about earth destroying comets or asteroids? I can think of 3 off the top of my head. The one mentioned above, Armaggedon and Deep Impact.

You'd think Hollywood would think it had been done now. What gets me about the latter two as well is they came out within just a couple of years of each other. Did someone in Hollywood not look across the street at some point and go, "that lot seem to be making the same film we are". 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC film critic Mark Kermode, who has frequently ridiculed Gerrrrrrrarrrrrrd Butlerrrrrrrr! movies, said he's watched it several times already and absolutely loved it. A proper OTT disaster flick in all the best ways, apparently.

Shut up Buttwad I think you’ll find

I recently watched Der Hauptmann(The Captain 2017) a true story about a deserter in WW2 who masquerades as an officer. I wont say anymore due to spoilers but it was very good i thought.

Last night i watched Mother 2009 a Bong Joon-ho movie and really liked it. Again no spoilers.

I really like my foreign subtitled moves and have watched lots over the years.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Managed to catch up with Michael Mann’s “Collateral” tonight, albeit some 17 years late!  The director seldom fails to please with his great affinity with the streets of LA and the soundtrack is great. Includes the Steel Cello Lament from “Heat”. Quite a change of role for Tom Cruise and the excellent Jamie Foxx.  Currently on Sky movies if you wish to catch up too.

Gave Greenland a go tonight.  Yup pretty much does what everyone has said already.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Breezy (1973)
An early one from Clint Eastwood's directing career; the same year as High Plains Drifter.

Breezy, a free-spirited hippie girl (played by Kay Lenz) overcomes the outward curmudgeonliness of Frank, a staid older man with an unpleasant divorce recently behind him (played by William Holden).

Kay Lenz is adorably wide-eyed and upbeat, while Holden's performance of a misanthropic square whose crustiness is worn away by Breezy's charm and innocent optimism, is excellent.

The supporting cast are mainly Frank's circle of acquaintances, and don't have a lot to do but do it pretty well, especially Bob, played by Roger Carmel (aka Harry Mudd, if you're a Trekkie).

In short, not a great movie, but certainly a good one. Recommended.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Just noticed that 'Star' has been added to Disney Plus, so a whole different range of movies.

I went for something high brow....

'Commando'

Arnie at his finest!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Two films I’ve seen this week that were good in different ways.

Disney Pixar animation Coco - DVD

A Day of the Dead sort of setting, featuring a boy who visits his ancestors. Despite its fun and skeletal characters, or maybe because of them, this was an above average animation well worth a look. Family fun.

Paul Greengrass directed film News of the World

We like almost all films with Tom Hanks in. This one is a western filmed in New Mexico which in the film is Texas. It’s a dangerous journey film which touches on a range of important themes reflects on life in those times and the relationship between the settlers and the indigenous peoples.

The film follows a Civil War veteran (Hanks) who must return a young girl (really well played by Helena Zengel) who was taken in by Native Americans as a little girl to her last remaining family.

This is currently being shown on Netflix.

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Fauda on Netflix.

PARDON?

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

PARDON?

After retiring from the Israel Defense Force, Doron is working on a vineyard. He gets roped back into active duty, though, upon learning that an enemy who Doron thought his unit had killed is still alive and plans on attending his brother's wedding. Doron rejoins the IDF team with the intention of going under cover at the wedding, but the plan goes awry when the team's cover is blown. That sets into motion a chaotic chain of events and leads IDF into a manhunt to locate and kill the squad's target.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Nothing much on TV right now, so I'm treating myself to a re-watch of Trading Places. Always a pleasure*.

*and not because of those scenes with Jamie Lee Curtis**.

**not entirely, anyway. :kolobok_unsure:

• Haha 1

I have been "Treating" my 12 yo daughter to the entire Star Wars Series, but we have seemed to have stalled just after episode V. I put Rogue One, and Solo between Episodes III & IV, but she isn't interested in ep VI. It isn't like I have been thrusting it upon her, I only see her every 2nd Sunday, but I think her lack of enthusiasm may have something to do with her lack of contact at school. She goes back on the 8th, I see her on the 14th, she may be in a better mood then.

Edited by Bleep1673

Where were you last Thursday?

I started watching the 1957 film 'The Story of Mankind' the other night. Despite a phenomenal cast*, it was a dreary, over-worthy trudge, and I dozed off a couple of times before bailing out. Be warned.

*Check out the names involved! Ronald Colman (his last film), the Marx Brothers, Dennis Hopper, Vincent Price, Cesar Romero...

Wonder Woman 1984

Rubbish

ignoring the dodgy sexual politics going on with Chris Pine occupying someone else’s body, it demonstrates why the Marvel films are so much better than the DC films.

Spoiler alert

the premise starts off straight away with a magic artefact, in a marvel movie we’d have been given a hint two or three films ago but no, boom. Magic statue thing. Twice the plot revolves around her suddenly remembering an ability or tool she hasn’t used before. The seemingly magical fuel tank on a short range fighter that can fly fromWashington to Cairo and back without refuelling. The First World War pilot that can handle a supersonic jet. But the worst aspect is the denouement where Diana wins the day by appealing to the world’s better nature. If the past few years teach us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have a better nature.

Edited by Shadow
8 hours ago, Shadow said:

Wonder Woman 1984

Rubbish

ignoring the dodgy sexual politics going on with Chris Pine occupying someone else’s body, it demonstrates why the Marvel films are so much better than the DC films.

Spoiler alert

the premise starts off straight away with a magic artefact, in a marvel movie we’d have been given a hint two or three films ago but no, boom. Magic statue thing. Twice the plot revolves around her suddenly remembering an ability or tool she hasn’t used before. The seemingly magical fuel tank on a short range fighter that can fly fromWashington to Cairo and back without refuelling. The First World War pilot that can handle a supersonic jet. But the worst aspect is the denouement where Diana wins the day by appealing to the world’s better nature. If the past few years teach us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have a better nature.

I don't know if you're a Red Letter Media fan but their review on YouTube is worth catching.

Basically, you're being very kind compared to them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don't know if you're a Red Letter Media fan but their review on YouTube is worth catching.

Basically, you're being very kind compared to them.

I’m not, but I’ll seek it out

Talking of RedLetterMedia, one of their reviews involved starting the first three Michael Bay Transformers movies simultaneously, just to highlight the formulaic way these wretched flicks are churned out.

Edited by Futtocks