What shape will Leigh be in next year?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have seen suggested Leigh are only able to offer any players a basic salary I assume of about £5K which is not very much and of course is only a part time salary which I also assume falls within the law regarding minimum wage/living wage.

24 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

From what I have seen suggested Leigh are only able to offer any players a basic salary I assume of about £5K which is not very much and of course is only a part time salary which I also assume falls within the law regarding minimum wage/living wage.

Wow.....league one may be beckoning 

Pear shaped?

In fact I feel sorry somewhat for Leigh.  It was said that all players wages had to be spent on 'parachute' contracts, so the parachute payments were not much good if you failed promotion.  So if you cannot pay contracts the following season you are in problems.

In any event, shouldn't a parachute payment be conditional to ensuring such a team is just a viable Championship Club, not an aspiring Super League club.

Skinny?

Without a head coach or players.

May cause a problem if they feature in the fixtures but their financial future is uncertain,or still to be resolved.

So nearly an elite club with an elite owner.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 11/4/2018 at 10:46 PM, The Daddy said:

Wow.....league one may be beckoning 

What do you mean "Wow"?? Do you find their demise exciting or something?

They won the Championship in 2014 in superb style and were brilliant at the grand final, and won it again 2015 in great style, but because of the stupid MPG play offs they didn't get what they deserved. They came 11th. in Superleague 2017, but because of the stupid MPG play offs AGAIN they got relegated when they deserved to stay up.

Mr. Beaumont who did a great job funding Leigh to the tune of a "seven figure", sum ran out of money and patience and told Rimmer this was the RFL's doing and rightly so. We cannot afford to lose rich owners whose investments keep the game ticking away at top level and given Koukash has gone as well you can maybe pontificate on Salford's "financial state" and ponder the "Wow" of them possibly going down too. I started a thread about the demise of the game in Lancashire, whilst you and others were dreaming the game away to "wow" locations around the world. It's serious stuff and a threat to the game. 

I'd be very happy if they just cancelled the nonsense of MPG and P&R as well and looked to protect the game from itself, and just lift into SL whichever clubs can improve it whether that be by Bradford's return, or an invite to Beaumont to come back straight into SL or both. Lenegan was close to organising this sensible controlled approach, before the small clubs scuttled it. It would have been a darn sight better for the game than all the dreaming some people do on here about clubs from anywhere but the north of England, which is the cradle of the game in the Northern hemisphere and should be protected accordingly.

10 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

They won the Championship in 2014 in superb style and were brilliant at the grand final, and won it again 2015 in great style, but because of the stupid MPG play offs they didn't get what they deserved. They came 11th. in Superleague 2017, but because of the stupid MPG play offs AGAIN they got relegated when they deserved to stay up.

Mr. Beaumont who did a great job funding Leigh to the tune of a "seven figure", sum ran out of money and patience and told Rimmer this was the RFL's doing and rightly so. We cannot afford to lose rich owners whose investments keep the game ticking away at top level and given Koukash has gone as well you can maybe pontificate on Salford's "financial state" and ponder the "Wow" of them possibly going down too. I started a thread about the demise of the game in Lancashire, whilst you and others were dreaming the game away to "wow" locations around the world. It's serious stuff and a threat to the game. 

I'd be very happy if they just cancelled the nonsense of MPG and P&R as well and looked to protect the game from itself, and just lift into SL whichever clubs can improve it whether that be by Bradford's return, or an invite to Beaumont to come back straight into SL or both. Lenegan was close to organising this before the small clubs scuttled it. It would have been a darn sight better for the game than all the dreaming some people do on here about clubs from anywhere but the north of England, which is the cradle of the game in the Northern hemisphere and should be protected accordingly.

Wow.....as in shock. Don't get yr knickers in a twist parky. 

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Wow.....as in shock. 

Your not "shocked" at all Leigh went down weeks ago. Your reaction was clearly in connection with their further demise. "Wow" as dictionary defined is a positive reaction to an event of both surprise and delight. Makinson certainly "Wowed" the crowd on Saturday......

Let's not pretend for some on here (let's include Number 16 above in that) the relegation of Bradford was not seen as a "Wow" moment.. Let's not pretend that Leigh and Beaumont had not become the pantomime villains such that an opening day loss at Batley the other year was not met with a "wow" of delight from some, as was their relegation from superleague from 11th. spot 2017. Above both of those I can bet my house you'd have been "Wowed" if it had been Leeds who had had slipped out of Superleague this season.

Your next to ultimate "Wow" would be half the clubs swept out of Superleague for your transatlantic league with no remorse or care from you two, and you and number 16 know it hence you neither have an answer to the point made. Your ultimate "wow" so far is your own club has sneaked into Superleague and Widnes are out and O'Connor gone ("wow"). Should London stay up I bet you will be "wowed" even more than that.

The RFL's ridiculous idea that putting half of Superleague at risk of relegation every year for the last several years on a fixed vote has seriously damaged the professional game, rich owners have walked away and not only that, new owners for our viable clubs have not come forward to replace them. This is nothing to "Wow" about, certainly not for those of us in the real world who want stability and security for the game in these precarious times.

I await your and others desperate attempts to redefine the English dictionary, to cover up your mask slipping....your one of those on here bored with the game as it is who would radically change it  and risk it's future despite the terminal damage it would do.

2 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

"Wow" as dictionary defined is a positive reaction to an event of both surprise and delight. Makinson certainly "Wowed" the crowd on Saturday......

Let's not pretend for some on here (let's include Number 16 above in that) the relegation of Bradford was not seen as a "Wow" moment.. Let's not pretend that Leigh and Beaumont had not become the pantomime villains such that an opening day loss at Batley the other year was not met with delight from some, as was their relegation from superleague from 11th. spot 2017. Above both of those I can bet my house you'd have been "Wowed" if it had been Leeds who had had slipped out of Superleague this season.

Your next to ultimate "Wow" would be half the clubs swept out of Superleague for your transatlantic league and you and number 16 know it hence you neither have an answer to the point made. Your ultimate "wow" so far is your own club has sneaked into Superleague and Widnes are out and O'Connor gone. Should they stay up I bet you will be "wowed" again

The RFL's ridiculous idea that putting half of Superleague at risk of relegation every year for the last several years on a fixed vote has seriously damaged the professional game, rich owners have walked away and not only that, new owners for our viable clubs have not come forward to replace them. This is nothing to "Wow" about, certainly not for those of us in the real world.

reign it in..... 

Wow can be used in shock and everyone else seems to understand that!

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Don't feed the troll....

dont normally... have him on ignore but for some reason it popped up and I thought he was being a dick so called him on it... 

11 hours ago, The Parksider said:

I'd be very happy if they just cancelled the nonsense of MPG and P&R as well and looked to protect the game from itself, and just lift into SL whichever clubs can improve it whether that be by Bradford's return, or an invite to Beaumont to come back straight into SL or both. Lenegan was close to organising this sensible controlled approach, before the small clubs scuttled it. It would have been a darn sight better for the game than all the dreaming some people do on here about clubs from anywhere but the north of England, which is the cradle of the game in the Northern hemisphere and should be protected accordingly.

This may be veering slightly off topic.

If the television money allocation is virtually the salary cap then I do tend to wonder how much money is added by owners.

There does seem to be some confusion about the payments for renting the LSV and whether or not the rent has been paid - there is also the tactic of not paying the contract money to the players - a tactic not likely to encourage participation in the sport or increase the crowds,or attract players.

Lancashire clubs do seem to attract people to the clubs who then leave again with a certain amount of controversy.

Lenagan wanted to retain the salary cap and some of his players chose to entertain supporters in the NRL.His successful coach has now left.Wigan made losses and attendances are down.

Dr Koukash has left Salford and how the debt he took over is now being serviced has not become widely known. 

What is the sensible controlled approach and how did the small clubs scuttle it? Are Leigh a small club? 

Is it all about wealth and attendances?  Leigh had neither a reserve side nor an academy?

What shape will Leigh be in next year?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

19 minutes ago, RS said:

Does anyone know what players they have left that have not moved on?

I did hear they were down to 2 senior players

I saw a list on their RLFans forum that named five players not already known to have joined other clubs - one of whom was assumed to be staying in Australia (Drew Hutchinson)

Archived