Obituary Thread

On 12/07/2020 at 16:13, Trojan said:

I was reading yesterday that Jack was a former miner, and during the big strike lent his car to the flying pickets.   Clearly true to his roots.  I remember him saying during an election that he intended to vote Labour. Unfortunately he played snooker at the local Con club and they banned him. Or clotched him as we say in Leeds! v

David Squires pays his respects beautifully: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jul/14/david-squires-on-the-life-and-times-of-jack-charlton?fbclid=IwAR2TTpUSkB78tcGrAlXAwh6-B8h2xjwvyC4RYDwmbNbsLaV1AZ7l5-zsPn4 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Representative John Lewis.

He was the last living organiser, and speaker, from the March on Washington for Freedom and Jobs, when Martin Luther King gave his I have a Dream speech. As a black student leader he was beaten repeatedly by racist mobs in places like Montogomerie and by state troopers on Bloody Sunday in Selma.

He was later elected to Congress and was loathed by Donald Trump who said Lewis was "all talk, talk, talk, no action or results".

Here is Lewis, in his white trenchcoat, doing the opposite on the day he was nearly killed at Selma.

C2IosCvXgAAIcwl.jpg

John Lewis' legacy shaped in 1965 on 'Bloody Sunday' | KWKT - FOX 44

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2J6hIkXcAEn-zv.jpg

This thread is a fairly serious one. Meant for humans who have died and as a place to express sympathy. It's not a place for grumbling, expressing joy at people who died or discussing magazines. Long standing rule this one, not going to change it.

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

48 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Rolling Stone ranked Green at number 58 in its 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time list in 2019

Eddie Van Halen, Pete Townshend, George Harrison, David Gilmour, Derek Trucks, Neil Young' Johnny Ramone, Scotty Moore, Ry Cooder, Prince, Curtis Mayfield, John Lee Hooker, Randy Rhoads, The Edge, Steve Cropper, Tom Morello, Mick Ronson, Mike Bloomfield,  Mark Knopfler, Jerry Garcia, Stephen Stills, Johnny Marr, Clarence White, Joe Walsh, John Lennon

Some decent guitarists there, but none of them can compare to Peter Green in his heyday, and certainly not  be in the list above him.

Bloody insult. Shows what Yankee hipsters know.

Peter was a 1970's genius and casualty. There were so many of them. 😧

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

13 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Rolling Stone ranked Green at number 58 in its 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time list in 2019

Bloody insult. Shows what Yankee hipsters know.

Peter was a 1970's genius and casualty.

There were so many of them. 😧

Agree with every word of that.

Peter Green was one of the greatest guitarists to grace the planet. He was also a great songwriter, Green Manalishi is brilliant shame that shortly after he had recorded it he split from Fleetwood Mac

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

so why was my post deleted and the q magazine one left on ? if i hadnt made my point it would have stayed like that and dont deny it- selective censorship - cant be bothered with this place anymore

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

53 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so why was my post deleted and the q magazine one left on ? if i hadnt made my point it would have stayed like that and dont deny it- selective censorship - cant be bothered with this place anymore

My Q magazine one has also been deleted.

Absolute disgrace. Obviously, I'm gutted.

I can't remember any of my previous umpteen years of posts being deleted. 😉😉

Mind you, I'm suspicious of being a member of any club that would have the likes of me as a member.

😄

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

20 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Mind you, I'm suspicious of being a member of any club that would have the likes of me as a member.

😄

Good old Groucho. 😉

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Actress Olivia de Havilland, aged a magnificent 104. A trouper 'til the end.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Actress Olivia de Havilland, aged a magnificent 104. A trouper 'til the end.

Bless her.  It's people like her I would invite to my virtual dinner party.  I bet she has some fantastic stories to tell.  RIP

• Like 1

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

Herman Cain, former US presidential candidate, recently dismissive of the need for masks, dead from COVID-19.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alan Parker, film director.  RIP

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

If anyone is thinking of using my services..... DON'T.

I have started back to work part time. This week I worked Wed, Thurs, and Friday afternoons. In all I have visited 12 patients, of those 2 of them have died on the night following my visit.

Not exactly a good advert for my Podiatry business is it?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow