On 10/05/2020 at 11:11, Trojan said:

One of my rock heroes.  There's probably only Jerry Lee left.  Last time I saw him on TV he didn't look so spry either.  Jerry Lee,  Little Richard, Chuck Berry,  Elvis, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly were the true Kings of Rock and Roll.  Without them there'd have been no Stones or Beatles.

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years ago and he was brilliant although he only did about 30 minutes. I couldn't believe many 30 and 40 year olds near us saying they'd no idea who he was!!

Re Little Richard there was a reference in the great Times obituary to him being ambisexual and he had a threesome with Buddy Holly and another unnamed  person . What a life!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years ago and he was brilliant although he only did about 30 minutes. I couldn't believe many 30 and 40 year olds near us saying they'd no idea who he was!!

Re Little Richard there was a reference in the great Times obituary to him being ambisexual and he had a threesome with Buddy Holly and another unnamed  person . What a life!!

People nowadays think living the Rock n Roll lifestyles is just about how much cocaine they can snort, the guys who were in the Rock n Roll era, really knew how to party safely. That's why many of the greats survived until they were 60, 70, 80. IMO

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

People nowadays think living the Rock n Roll lifestyles is just about how much cocaine they can snort, the guys who were in the Rock n Roll era, really knew how to party safely. That's why many of the greats survived until they were 60, 70, 80. IMO

85 Jerry Lee!  Greatest white rocker of the lot.  His version of What'd I Say is better than the Ray Charles original IMO.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 15/05/2020 at 17:19, Futtocks said:

I only discovered them as a live band a few years ago. May, Dick Taylor and three younger guys; absolutely fantastic. Saw them a bunch of times in those few years. They finished at the end of last year, and reading between the lines I think it was due to Phil's failing health. 

I last saw Phil and Dick make a guest appearance with Arthur Brown in January. Phil sounded as good as he has in the times I saw him, but it was noticeable he was being helped on and off stage.

Canadian Armed Forces Snowbirds lost their public affairs officer, Capt Jenn Casey and Capt Richard MacDougall was seriously injured when their aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff from Kamloops, BC.

The CAF Snowbirds have been on a nationwide morale tour, Operation Inspiration, amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6954775/cf-snowbird-crashes-near-kamloops-during-b-c-stop-of-cross-canada-tour/

Edited by CanaBull

On 30/04/2020 at 09:59, Adelaide Tiger said:

Another Mighty White taken by the a Good Lord.

I can only imagine that the a Good Lord wanted to strengthen the defence in his team of all white so took Norman and Trevor.  This now means that the Good Lord can make a tactical change and move John Charles up front.

I've only just discovered he' died. I'm not much of a soccer fan, but always look for Leeds's result.  This goal epitomised Cherry's never say die attitude.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:22, Robin Evans said:

Wow.

Another girl.... another planet....queue great guitar solo.... 

Great album.... iconic track

No peace for the wicked angels tell me...

Wasn't Another girl.... another planet by The Only Ones? But yes, absolutely one of the best ever guitar intros of all time.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Wasn't Another girl.... another planet by The Only Ones? But yes, absolutely one of the best ever guitar intros of all time.

Yeah.... I realised my faux pas over the weekend. 

When I saw pretty things I read "only ones" for some reason and I've been telling folk peter perrett had died..... 

Looking a bit of a pil lock.?

• Haha 1

Just now, Robin Evans said:

That said.... what a track....??

Isn't it? I still get goose bumps whenever I play it even after all these (42!) years.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Betty Wright 10th May..  Only seen her obit in today's Grauniad.  Clean Up Woman is one of my all time faves.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Clement Attlee.

Heather Chasen from the Navy Lark, aged 92. Many glorious Sunday laughs during my youth.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Very sad to hear of the death of Michael Angelis , a top class actor who i always thought added greatly to anything he appeared in .

• Like 2

On 31/05/2020 at 13:38, ivans82 said:

Very sad to hear of the death of Michael Angelis , a top class actor who i always thought added greatly to anything he appeared in .

I know very, very little about films and tv, but Michael Angelis left a big impression on me as a youngster.

Boys from the Blackstuff was a smack-in-the-chops kind of tv show when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, a real eye-opener in the unforgettable days of Thatcherism. But what I really remember Angelis for was a screenplay, also by Alan Bleasedale I think, called No Surrender, which I didn't watch until I was a politicised student at the end of the 80s. I watched it over and over and loved the characters, especially Angelis as the nightclub manager.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/no_surrender/

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

I know very, very little about films and tv, but Michael Angelis left a big impression on me as a youngster.

Boys from the Blackstuff was a smack-in-the-chops kind of tv show when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, a real eye-opener in the unforgettable days of Thatcherism. But what I really remember Angelis for was a screenplay, also by Alan Bleasedale I think, called No Surrender, which I didn't watch until I was a politicised student at the end of the 80s. I watched it over and over and loved the characters, especially Angelis as the nightclub manager.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/no_surrender/

R.I.P.

One of my fav films....

"Glad you're here.... I haven't seen a tide mark in years"!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

One of my fav films....

"Glad you're here.... I haven't seen a tide mark in years"!

And, to bouncer Bernard Hill: "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover you know"

Bouncer: "I do, I can't read".

Edited by Leeds Wire
found some footage

8 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

And, to bouncer Bernard Hill: "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover you know"

Bouncer: "I do, I can't read".

I'm going to watch that again this weekend.

• Like 1