Obituary Thread

7 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Just about every commercial radio station that I'm flicking through on Freeview TV have a more subdued playlist.

Except Talk Sport who have horse racing.

Itv Racing did an excellent tribute to Prince Philip at the start of the show today.

Most of the presenters had met him and spoke very well.

It’s been like A Weekend at Bernie’s for a year now. I guess at some point they had to announce it.

More seriously.. I really don’t know how his family deal with it being across all the media. Constant reminders everywhere. The Royal family, for all their faults, still experience the same emotions as the rest of us.

While many of them have a comfortable life of privilege, they never get a break to feel how it is to be human without outsiders meddling.

The most personal of private moments and they still feel obliged to do their “duty” publicly. The whole system strips them of their humanity in the only life they will live.

Sadly, I think the whole Royal thing meant he probably wasted the only life he had. Denied so many normal human experiences that the rest of us go through. I wonder though if he knew that. It’s all very sad.

He was very much of his era.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

Some interesting stuff on the coverage about Prince Philip's early, eventful years, which I didn't know much about.

But otherwise far too much padding and repetition.

Misjudged and excessive - and I'm guessing he might agree with me.

• Like 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Some interesting stuff on the coverage about Prince Philip's early, eventful years, which I didn't know much about.

It’s very much a preview of what will happen when the Queen passes I guess 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Maybe I’m just old but I don’t see it necessary to make horrible comments about somebody who has died. 

(obviously not referring to Hitler or Pol Pot etc)

There’s anger over the wall to wall coverage of this in some places, but it doesn’t serve anyone to make snide comments.

I don’t really see the need for a royal family in a modern democracy, but I can relate to the loss of a loved one on a human level.

I have no doubt at some point we will see images of real sadness in the Queen’s face that might bring home that point.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s anger over the wall to wall coverage of this in some places, but it doesn’t serve anyone to make snide comments.

I don’t really see the need for a royal family in a modern democracy, but I can relate to the loss of a loved one on a human level.

I have no doubt at some point we will see images of real sadness in the Queen’s face that might bring home that point.

That’s pretty much where I am coming from. You’ll never see me waving a flag at a royal visit for example but I think you can appreciate that someone who has been married for 73 (seventy three!) years will be much missed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That’s pretty much where I am coming from. You’ll never see me waving a flag at a royal visit for example but I think you can appreciate that someone who has been married for 73 (seventy three!) years will be much missed. 

The wife's brother died a few weeks ago. It was sad. Same as finding out an old mate of mine died yesterday. Sad.

A 99 year old bloke I don't know has died. His family will feel sadness too.

This is my only comment on this.

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The wife's brother died a few weeks ago. It was sad. Same as finding out an old mate of mine died yesterday. Sad.

A 99 year old bloke I don't know has died. His family will feel sadness too.

This is my only comment on this.

I get where you are coming from. But like it or not, some figures have been around since forever (certainly before we can remember) and whether we knew them or not, or even liked them, they are going to get mass coverage. 

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Rapper DMX, 50.

I'd genuinely never heard of this guy as rap/hip hop is just not for me and only have now because I saw several posts on SM basically saying 'F### Prince Phillip, this guy was a legend', which is a sure way to get people onside.Turns out he isn't at all, just a very naughty boy.

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

People have had enough of it already and you can't blame them

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/10/prince-philip-death-bbc-receives-complaints-over-too-much-coverage-14387707/

A guy I know is a huge Stones fan. I have just seen him ranting on FB about Mick Jagger and how he'll never listen to them again. His crime? Paying tribute to Prince Phillip. 

And he's not an idiot, just lost any sense of reason on the matter. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I'd genuinely never heard of this guy as rap/hip hop is just not for me and only have now because I saw several posts on SM basically saying 'F### Prince Phillip, this guy was a legend', which is a sure way to get people onside.Turns out he isn't at all, just a very naughty boy.

Yeh I wasn't a fan in a literal sense. I remembered one song from about 20 years ago, but I posted it just for summat else to mention!

To prevent the obituary thread being completely sidetracked into a debate about the royal family and/or the TV coverage of the royal family, please direct all future comments on those topics to the thread below. 

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/360203-prince-philip-death-news-coverage/

Thanks

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

To prevent the obituary thread being completely sidetracked into a debate about the royal family and/or the TV coverage of the royal family, please direct all future comments on those topics to the thread below. 

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/360203-prince-philip-death-news-coverage/

Thanks

Is this a political thread? Because I am banned from that. It tells me I need to post 100 comments, which I have.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Is this a political thread? Because I am banned from that. It tells me I need to post 100 comments, which I have.

It’s in the politics sub forum, yes, because people arguing the toss over the monarchy and the BBC are political topics. 

If you are banned from that section, then you must have broken the rules in there.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

It’s in the politics sub forum, yes, because people arguing the toss over the monarchy and the BBC are political topics. 

If you are banned from that section, then you must have broken the rules in there.

No, I asked to be blocked. OK, fair enough.

27 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Big Brother 2006 contestant Nikki Grahame, 38.

Sad story, and very young.  There was a crowdfunder a short while ago to help get her in a clinic to treat an eating disorder.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

20 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Sad story, and very young.  There was a crowdfunder a short while ago to help get her in a clinic to treat an eating disorder.  

My YouTube feed thing had an interview with her mother on This Morning from 30th March this year, so less than 2 weeks ago.

Eerie.

The same unfortunate coincidence, if you can call it that, happened with that seal called Freddie a month ago or so. That was featured on This Morning and then ended up dying.

Former Wigan player Cliff Hill.

• Sad 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle