Catalans poised to defend challenge cup

The RFL desperately needs new leadership. The original decision was a disaster.

Meanwhile can you imagine what it would be like if the finalists at Wembley were Catalans and Toronto? It will not happen in 2019, but will become more plausible once Toronto is in Super League and strengthened in its team roster. I wonder how the English fans would react to such a development. Would they come in numbers, i.e. in their tens of thousands?

London vs Toronto/Catalans would be more interesting, especially for attracting the casual southern fans. But that is not going to happen so long as London Broncos are in their current underfunded status and do not have a star studded team.

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Meanwhile can you imagine what it would be like if the finalists at Wembley were Catalans and Toronto? It will not happen in 2019, but will become more plausible once Toronto is in Super League and strengthened in its team roster. I wonder how the English fans would react to such a development. Would they come in numbers, i.e. in their tens of thousands?

The attendance would probably be lower than usual. The press coverage and interest by the casual tv viewer could well go up though I would guess.

39 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Hmmm. Catalan's CEO departs without so much as a thank you and suddenly a solution looms.

CEO has departed?  Must have missed this.

The DM piece doesn’t give us any more info other than what TRL made last week in that a decision and any agreement will be announced this week.

All Club's should be able to take part without any constraints. I go every year and our numbers have dwindled to just 10 this year when only a few years ago we had over 50. The problem is the neutrals don't support it like they used to do. The RFL have a real job on their hands to try and restore its attraction again. The double header should help. In London itself there is no awareness of the game. We went into Ladbrokes in Leicester Square on the morning of the game to put a bet on the potential Lance Todd Trophy winner, and the cashier hadn't a clue what we were on about and they are the tournament sponsors! 

5 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

All Club's should be able to take part without any constraints. I go every year and our numbers have dwindled to just 10 this year when only a few years ago we had over 50. The problem is the neutrals don't support it like they used to do. The RFL have a real job on their hands to try and restore its attraction again. The double header should help. In London itself there is no awareness of the game. We went into Ladbrokes in Leicester Square on the morning of the game to put a bet on the potential Lance Todd Trophy winner, and the cashier hadn't a clue what we were on about and they are the tournament sponsors! 

Pedantic correction - Ladbrokes were the tournament sponsors!

Considering that the chances of any club other than a SL member ever getting to a cup final, why does the RFL not transfer that responsibillity of running the competition over to the SL, Leneghan has been vocal enough to condemn the decision took by the RFL let him put his expertise into guiding it back to popularity, perhaps he can tell Elstone to add it to the promotion and advertising programme used to generate, raise and sell the profile of SL to the general public that has been initiated .............. oh hang on a minute!

7 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

London vs Toronto/Catalans would be more interesting, especially for attracting the casual southern fans. But that is not going to happen so long as London Broncos are in their current underfunded status and do not have a star studded team.

Do you mean when Ralph was appointed? 

58 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Sorry, I didn't know they had finished. Have they got a new Sponsor?

As LeeF says, and as far as I know, nothing announced yet.  The smart thing might be to get Guasch Viandes to be the official French sponsors of the cup, still leaving the main sponsorship role available for a British enterprise to take up.  Maybe this has already been done and this will be how Catalans Dragons get to defend their title.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

The DM piece doesn’t give us any more info other than what TRL made last week in that a decision and any agreement will be announced this week.

All speculation at the moment, but I have my fingers crossed that sanity will prevail and the holders can defend their title.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

According to the HDM interview with Steve Mac, around £250,000 was the final figure paid.

I do think this could open a can of worms as regards the challenge cup in the future. I certainly wouldn't want my club to pay a bond to enter it on principle.

Does this mean in future that all poorly supported clubs (and the Catalans are well supported by Rugby League standards) will have to pay a bond to enter it?

If London and Salford remain in Super League will they have to pay a bond to enter the challenge cup as both are poorly supported clubs?

Archived