World Cup venues announcement

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Let's be honest, we could nitpick based on our personal preferences, but there is a lot to be excited about.

Briliantly professional presentation.

Likely to visit, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds, Arsenal, Sheffield, Middlesborough, Coventry as well as plenty of traditional venues during that 5 week period.

Watching England at Newcastle, Bolton, Sheffield, Huddersfield, Arsenal and Old Trafford all being well. Not too shabby.

I was assuming it would be Anfield for the England QF

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I’ll be going to as many games as possible.

BUT

No games at Wembley is a very poor decision.

No games in Wigan is a very poor decision.

Not building on the success of Bristol in 2013 is a very poor decision.

2013 we had games at The Millenium Stadium and Wembley and now we’ll be at Brammal Lane and Middleborough instead. Weird choices.

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

very excited by Sheffield... can count on at least me, my lad for sure.. will talk to mates and get them along (most of them enjoying the odd match) but also a couple of us league fans are involved with the local Union club in the youth set ups so will talk to them and get a major push on getting the couple of hundered kids we coach across the 6-8 age groups to get down there too! convert some of the little ones!

1 minute ago, Cdd said:

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

It means Cumbria will now get a modern rugby stadium fit for the future. Reason enough for me. 

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m reliably informed that the Emirates is a very very comfortable stadium from the perspective of the spectator 

I've been there and it is brilliant, since going I've always wanted them to take an RL game there. Already been in touch with a mate in London about it

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

As a former Teesside resident, I'm hoping by the time the comp starts everybody will be able to spell Middlesbrough. ? Interesting choice, given Teesside generally is very soccercentric.

fat chance! pretty sure its why loughbourhgourough doesnt get a look in on a major sporting front! Netball and womens rugby seem the biggies and thats cos women pay attention and can spell!

They have to respect the Northern Powerhouse funding so there was obviously very little wriggle room for many games outside that area. I like a lot of what they have done.

Wheelchair rugby league at the Copper Box. I am basically already there. It's a superb venue and with the right promotion (and I am getting more confident that the organisation for this tournament is doing the basic things well) and pricing could easily have several thousand in for games. That will sound amazing.

Semi final at the Emirates. Am I disappointed that London didn't get more games. Selfishly, yes. But, as has often been said, if you're going to stand out in London then you need an event to do so. This isn't getting Londoners (who *still* have a thing about East London being a wasteland) to trudge out to West Ham's ground. It's Arsenal, it's a doddle and it's a semi final with 2 years to sell. My Arsenal-supporting son (don't ask) who won't get to the Emirates any other way is likely to want to go even though he doesn't really understand why rugby league exists (really, don't ask). And there are no group games or launch distractions. Rugby league in London in 2021 at international level is this game. Let's be there.

Launching in Newcastle is brilliant. So it'll probably rain for two weeks beforehand and all the lines will be washed away.

The women's World Cup looks like it's being properly promoted and I can see York doing a really good job of getting the whole community behind the games they are holding.

Games to Cumbria is essential.

So, whilst we can nitpick around the edges, it's a positive thumbs up from me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m reliably informed that the Emirates is a very very comfortable stadium from the perspective of the spectator 

The Emirates is a fantastic ground with comfortable seating easy trip up on tube from kings cross but absolute nightmare return

As mentioned previously, very good presentation and professional which makes the organisers look like they know what they are doing.

Some exciting venues, definitely will be going to Newcastle, Arsenal, Middlesbrough and Sheffield. A visit to the usual KCom, Huddersfield, Donny and Leeds will be on the cards. Will probably get along to Cov and Bolton too, and a trip up to Lakes, all dependent on timings. Obviously Old Trafford for Final is a must.

The only negative comment is some venues getting a few games each, are we really going to sell Donny out 3 times over? I hope so but there are some big asks in there. I am confident each and every one of the England games will sell out along with the Semi Finals, the quarters to push close to doing so too.

I wonder what the overall capacity of the games is?

Massively looking forward to the women’s tournament and really glad they have given it the standing it deserves and I'm also extremely happy York is getting a number of games.

A big thumbs up from me.

Just now, langpark said:

Well, the draw is not until November, so I doubt they will go on sale before then.

######... i'd still buy now, dont care who england are playing!

2 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As a former Teesside resident, I'm hoping by the time the comp starts everybody will be able to spell Middlesbrough. ? Interesting choice, given Teesside generally is very soccercentric.

Are there any active teams in Middlesbrough at the moment?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I've been there and it is brilliant, since going I've always wanted them to take an RL game there. Already been in touch with a mate in London about it

Yes, me too. Very nice stadium, with good access. I enjoyed the padded seats!

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You can see the thinking there. In the North but not heartlands. Trying to expand the territory northeast, northwest and south.

Totally agree.

the only question is?

will this strategy continue for more than a couple of years or once again will it be replaced by the pursuit of a world type league, and  again places like Gateshead will be abandoned.

Archived