Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

BBC website

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Who knows where the blame for that lies though. Has anyone told the BBC, like the clubs or RFL?

Until a few weeks ago the scores always used to be updated in the same way that the other divisions are and I can't see any point in the clubs or the RFL wanting to stop providing the information.

There is a report on the RL section of BBC Sport website about Batley being in the semi-finals of the 1895 Cup yet the results of that competition - unless I have just missed seeing them somewhere - are not included with those of the other tournaments shown in the "Scores & Fixtures" section.

Again, as per my previous comment regarding no League 1 live score updates having been included for the past few weeks, are the BBC really bothered ?

On 08/06/2019 at 20:43, Cheshire Setter said:

Have you purchased a VPN for security? Might be proxy-ing you on a overseas server.   RL is ignored on the overseas webpage titles bar.

or using the companies VPN maybe... even if using it in the UK...

Would have thought it was a location issue... I have no problems except when I use companies VPN, which is outside the UK...

16 hours ago, redjonn said:

or using the companies VPN maybe... even if using it in the UK...

Would have thought it was a location issue... I have no problems except when I use companies VPN, which is outside the UK...

Definitely a VPN / location issue. You can see this because the site is defaulting to bbc.com rather than bbc.co.uk. Anyone typing bbc.com from the UK should be redirected to bbc.co.uk which contains the RL menu link.

• Like 1

I've seen this asked on here before. Here is the answer I gave then.

Go through the rigmarole (all sports, scroll down, click on rugby league). Then bookmark the page onto your bookmarks bar. Job done.

Thereafter, just click on the bookmark. It's worked for me for at least ten years in Greece. Try it. It's easy.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

You will see from a post of mine above (27 June) that I mentioned about the live scores for League 1 on the BBC Sport website having been discontinued and so I wrote to the BBC on 30 June to ask why.

I have just received this reply (27 July) ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are contacting you to apologise that we’ve not been able to reply to your complaint within the time period we aim for. We manage this for most complaints but regret it’s not always possible to achieve.

If you wish to refer this delay and the substance of your complaint to the BBC’s regulator Ofcom, you can do so online at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/how-to-report-a-complaint/bbc-tv-channel-radio-station-bbciplayer or by post to: Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA. Please include for Ofcom your latest correspondence from and to the BBC and any BBC case reference numbers which you have been given. 

Full details of the BBC’s complaints process can be found by visiting http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/,and full details of Ofcom’s complaints process are available at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/information-for-industry/guidance/procedures.

In the meantime we appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can.

Kind regards 

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually the BBC reply to any complaints with nonsensical reasons as to why they disagree that they have done anything amiss yet on this occasion it appears they can't find any reasons and are trying to just ignore having to give a reply.

Is it really that hard for the BBC to either say "Yes, we will reinstate that service" or "No, we won't now be providing that service" ?

So, yes, I will be contacting Ofcom and will keep you informed of any developments.

Yet another kick in the teeth for RL by the BBC.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

The coverage of the semis on BBC TV Sports News has in my view been excellent. Frequent and lengthy mentions.  

Four legs good - two legs bad

Really enjoyed the BBC coverage of the semi finals.

If people dont view the RL pages on the BBC Sport web site,the coverage will be lost.A brief comment when they have articles would really help. If articles dont get a public reaction,they simply wont publish RL comments/stories. Then ofcourse,people will complain the BBC dont publish RL related articles !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You will see from a post of mine above (27 June) that I mentioned about the live scores for League 1 on the BBC Sport website having been discontinued and so I wrote to the BBC on 30 June to ask why.

I have just received this reply (27 July) ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are contacting you to apologise that we’ve not been able to reply to your complaint within the time period we aim for. We manage this for most complaints but regret it’s not always possible to achieve.

If you wish to refer this delay and the substance of your complaint to the BBC’s regulator Ofcom, you can do so online at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/how-to-report-a-complaint/bbc-tv-channel-radio-station-bbciplayer or by post to: Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA. Please include for Ofcom your latest correspondence from and to the BBC and any BBC case reference numbers which you have been given. 

Full details of the BBC’s complaints process can be found by visiting http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/,and full details of Ofcom’s complaints process are available at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/information-for-industry/guidance/procedures.

In the meantime we appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can.

Kind regards 

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually the BBC reply to any complaints with nonsensical reasons as to why they disagree that they have done anything amiss yet on this occasion it appears they can't find any reasons and are trying to just ignore having to give a reply.

Is it really that hard for the BBC to either say "Yes, we will reinstate that service" or "No, we won't now be providing that service" ?

So, yes, I will be contacting Ofcom and will keep you informed of any developments.

Yet another kick in the teeth for RL by the BBC.

Ofcom have no real power for any BBC Online content complaints.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/101893/bbc-online-procedures.pdf

Good luck.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

So i've again had the issue with my BBC homepage and sports page on my desktop, and googled how to get it back..............I came across this page which suggests the BBC are doing away with the .co.uk site and everything will be international, which means Rugby League will no longer be a headline sport on the sports page..........................very annoying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/online/website-change

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So i've again had the issue with my BBC homepage and sports page on my desktop, and googled how to get it back..............I came across this page which suggests the BBC are doing away with the .co.uk site and everything will be international, which means Rugby League will no longer be a headline sport on the sports page..........................very annoying

Where in that does it say everything will be the current international format? It'll eventually redirect to .com but it's fairly straightforward to alter the content based on location from the same site. They'll have to do that with their streaming media content anyway.

1 minute ago, Moove said:

Where in that does it say everything will be the current international format? It'll eventually redirect to .com but it's fairly straightforward to alter the content based on location from the same site. They'll have to do that with their streaming media content anyway.

Well i'm hoping it will give you the option to alter the content based on location but it isn't for me at present

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Well i'm hoping it will give you the option to alter the content based on location but it isn't for me at present

It's perhaps more likely the website will just automatically show different things based on your location when they switch over to the updated .com sites. Fingers crossed anyway

There was an article on Danny McGuire and his late drop goal,which was available for comment. I believe it attracted around 15 comments. It wouldn't surprise me if the BBC drop rugby league in view of the few comments most articles receive,as opposed to other sports. No doubt you will all say how disgraceful their decision is. Use it or lose it.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

There was an article on Danny McGuire and his late drop goal,which was available for comment. I believe it attracted around 15 comments. It wouldn't surprise me if the BBC drop rugby league in view of the few comments most articles receive,as opposed to other sports. No doubt you will all say how disgraceful their decision is. Use it or lose it.

I have added a decent number of comments on the BBC website RL stories (a different user name) and it is obvious that there are far fewer articles opened for comments and then fewer comments offered for these.

A quick audit of the banner sports for the BBC site as a snapshot.

Football - 7 articles opened for comment and an average of 444 comments per article

F1 - 9 articles opened for comment and an average of 421 comments per article

Union - 4 articles opened for comment and an average of 162 comments per article

Cricket - 7 articles opened for comment and an average of 375 comments per article

Tennis - 1 article opened for comment with 74 comments

Golf - 3 articles opened for comment and an average of 164 comments per article

Athletics - 4 articles opened for comment and an average of 53 comments per article

and

Rugby League - 1 article opened for comment with 26 comments

Of course comments and contribution is one factor the BBC will look at with the other key ones being page views, articles read and length of stay on each article but I think there is a real danger of Rugby League being demoted from the banner list of sports (it already is if you access the page from an overseas location).

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have added a decent number of comments on the BBC website RL stories (a different user name) and it is obvious that there are far fewer articles opened for comments and then fewer comments offered for these.

A quick audit of the banner sports for the BBC site as a snapshot.

Football - 7 articles opened for comment and an average of 444 comments per article

F1 - 9 articles opened for comment and an average of 421 comments per article

Union - 4 articles opened for comment and an average of 162 comments per article

Cricket - 7 articles opened for comment and an average of 375 comments per article

Tennis - 1 article opened for comment with 74 comments

Golf - 3 articles opened for comment and an average of 164 comments per article

Athletics - 4 articles opened for comment and an average of 53 comments per article

and

Rugby League - 1 article opened for comment with 26 comments

Of course comments and contribution is one factor the BBC will look at with the other key ones being page views, articles read and length of stay on each article but I think there is a real danger of Rugby League being demoted from the banner list of sports (it already is if you access the page from an overseas location).

Womens' Football - 13 articles but none available for comment.

During the womens' football world cup the website was full of comments about the overkill of coverage by the BBC and it's obvious they want to stop similar responses. Yet even though there are now no comments and those previously had been protesting about too much coverage they will not stop showing articles about it.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

39 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yet even though there are now no comments and those previously had been protesting about too much coverage they will not stop showing articles about it.

Good. The more articles the better as far as I am concerned. 

Womens football was hugely popular from the turn of the 20th century before womens games were banned from being played on association football grounds in 1921.

Over the last couple of decades the sport has gone from strength to strength culminating in the recent hugely successful World Cup.

I would have thought that a fan of Rugby League, a sport that has suffered from it's own fair share of discrimination, would have some affinity for the womens game and wish them well in their current phase of growth.

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Why does it mean that?

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Good. The more articles the better as far as I am concerned. 

Womens football was hugely popular from the turn of the 20th century before womens games were banned from being played on association football grounds in 1921.

Over the last couple of decades the sport has gone from strength to strength culminating in the recent hugely successful World Cup.

I would have thought that a fan of Rugby League, a sport that has suffered from it's own fair share of discrimination, would have some affinity for the womens game and wish them well in their current phase of growth.

The point I was making was that it doesn't appear that a lack of comments from the public affects the number of articles published about a sport.

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The point I was making was that it doesn't appear that a lack of comments from the public affects the number of articles published about a sport.

Ok, fair enough. 

As I say number of clicks, number of articles read and time on the site are all critical. 

Inwouod love to see how RL compares to other sports on their web metrics,.  As they are a public broadcast organisation does anyone know if these are published?

On 08/06/2019 at 09:24, Moove said:

Hadn't realised the internet had reached Leeds yet. Only just got running water and electricity haven't you? 😉

Plus cars. I've been using a horse and cart for the last 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently on the RL page of the BBC Sport website (1.35pm Sun 11 Aug) is an article about wheelchair RL international James Simpson. However, it includes photos of him next to a trophy which looks exactly like the one which has been presented to the winners of the main RL world cup for many years.

Unless the trophy for the winners of the wheelchair event is an exact copy of the main one (which I don't know if it is or isn't) why not have him with the trophy that they are actually playing for ?