Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

By cousins do you mean one of the countries we gave independence to because were nice?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

32 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

By cousins do you mean one of the countries we gave independence to because were nice?

No, because they watch Coro St. Try to keep up. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The view expressed in this very short video interview with Ashton Simms would I believe have the support of the vast majority of RL fans.

From TWP Twitter, It combines the desire to grow the game with looking after the heartlands.

Perhaps, he can help with Brexit discussions.

Edit: Starts just before the minute mark

Edited by Manxmanc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

Any nation that has a strong following of Coronation St (and can therefore understand the Northern accent) is always 

I knew people in Philadelphia who watched Eastenders and they thought they sounded Australian and thought me with my Leeds accent was Irish  They think an English accent is Jacob Reese Mogg and Boris Johnson,  but back on subject welcome to SL Toronto 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Going with the nice thing over avoiding another war? Righteo!

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Just imagine a whole league of teams like Toronto, in carefully selected cities either side of the Atlantic.  What could that do for RL?

Carefully selected in North America maybe, but there’s no need to select over here, 125 years has done that already. 

Toronto Wolfpack has basically given RL, which is struggling on its ###### in the North of England, a FREE hit at new experiences and expanding the game.

Fans going there will have the time or their lives, locals seem to love the experience, jaded fans like me have something new to enjoy. What is not to love??

Am chuffed SL now has this opportunity. It should count its lucky stars because no one is writing about the game at the moment.

• Like 10

I am enjoying the Canadian adventure I really am. I’m a proud northerner too. They aren’t mutually exclusive. 

I would like us to discuss other topics and have a bit more balance to what’s important. 

But for the time being I am delighted the Wolfpack will be in the top flight next year. I can’t wait to see who they add to their roster either, some box office stuff I reckon. 

• Like 3

Absolutely spot on , RL is in need of desperate shot in the arm ! I hope this is it and the game can kick on from here.

we as a game have become entrenched and blinkered whilst the rest of the sporting world has literally run off into the distance, let’s not run another billionaire out of town like we did to Marwan and Branson!!

• Like 3

Having experienced the "Canadian adventure" with visiting with my team York Knights in August I can only say it is a positive thing for the game. The whole experience is new they engage with fans in new and different ways and the potential is huge, not a right lot of competition as a summer league with other sports in the city. Congrats Wolfpack well deserved although we will still have the honour of being the first team to beat you in the league in 2017 😉

• Like 10

This week at work a load of my colleagues (football obsessed blokes in their 30s from Norwich with no interest in RL and who could probably name 5 teams between them) were talking about TWP and this morning my cousin (from Wiltshire with zero interest in RL but loves football and likes Union) texted me to ask if I wanted to go to a game in Toronto next year.

Anyone who doesn’t think having Toronto in SL will boost media coverage and the attention of non-RL fans is completely wrong. So what if they haven’t got any canadian players yet, why would they have when they’ve only been playing a new sport for three seasons. 

• Like 17

After yesterday's win in front of a packed stadium, fans cheering their lungs out, blokes dressed like wolves, the hard graft put in by Featherstone and their loud, friendly fans, several beers, and promotion to Super League ...

While us fans had a reasonable expectation that Wolfpack could win the game and promotion, I never expected to read a thread full of optimistic, congratulatory messages without one single anti-Wolfpack moan. There is hope for us all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Carefully selected in North America maybe, but there’s no need to select over here, 125 years has done that already. 

No it hasn't done that already, because a combination of factors has prevented the game there from spreading to the sort of cities which I mean in any meaningful way.  Their residents either don't know what the game is or they look down on it as a small regional sport with limited appeal. it needs more teams like Toronto to change that and break out of its regional cocoon.

34 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No it hasn't done that already, because a combination of factors has prevented the game there from spreading to the sort of cities which I mean in any meaningful way.  Their residents either don't know what the game is or they look down on it as a small regional sport with limited appeal. it needs more teams like Toronto to change that and break out of its regional cocoon.

Which UK cities would you carefully select then, and at the expense of which current SL teams?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Damien said:

Toronto getting promoted is fantastic for the game and can be a real game changer.

It most certainly will be, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

10 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

No, by cousins we mean one of the countries which demanded independence from an overly controlling and self obsessed parent, who had the Alzheimers and was even confusing the word 'cousin' with  the words 'mother country'.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

but maybe not for the reasons you think.

None of us can be sure what the outcomes to all this will be Harry, but the likelihood is that it won't be completely dire as some have suggested nor as wonderful as most of us hope.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Which UK cities would you carefully select then, and at the expense of which current SL teams?

I think in terms of a whole new built for purpose league outside the existing structure of RL in the UK set up to be a northern hemisphere RL equivalent of Super Rugby and Pro 14, which would follow the same operating practices as in the major North American pro leagues which decades of experience in at least 5 sports have proven to be the way to make professional sports a profitable investment for franchise owners.  The current SL teams dragging their feet about accepting Toronto and then denying them any central funding are yet another of the signs which have emerged during the past couple of years of their small time mentality and practices which make them unsuited to such a league.

Edited by Big Picture

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

This week at work a load of my colleagues (football obsessed blokes in their 30s from Norwich with no interest in RL and who could probably name 5 teams between them) were talking about TWP and this morning my cousin (from Wiltshire with zero interest in RL but loves football and likes Union) texted me to ask if I wanted to go to a game in Toronto next year.

Anyone who doesn’t think having Toronto in SL will boost media coverage and the attention of non-RL fans is completely wrong. So what if they haven’t got any canadian players yet, why would they have when they’ve only been playing a new sport for three seasons. 

Well said

I'm more of a Union guy but always had a passing interest in Rugby league - coaching, defensive systems , lines of running namely

But I got to say League struggled to gain my attention recently: Small teams in tiny markets, Long seasons - NRL started a month after SL & its season finished a week earlier than SL, too many repeat fixtures etc

But the success of Salford & mostly Toronto has got me interested again

If the grow isn't trying to grow, it's slowly dying as it becomes a smaller and smaller sport to the point of Irrelevance 

Well Done Toronto: New team in a big market with Money to grow the game Everyone is a Winner!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It most certainly will be, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

Don't start, Harry. This is the Toronto Love thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

I think in terms of a whole new built for purpose league outside the existing structure of RL in the UK set up to be a northern hemisphere RL equivalent of Super Rugby and Pro 14, which would follow the same operating practices as in the major North American pro leagues which decades of experience in at least 5 sports have proven to be the way to make professional sports a profitable investment for franchise owners.  The current SL teams dragging their feet about accepting Toronto and then denying them any central funding are yet another of the signs which have emerged during the past couple of years of their small time mentality and practices which make them unsuited to such a league.

So in answer to my question?

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So in answer to my question?

Obviously London comes to mind first, followed by a small number of other big cities in England which would be within the particular franchise territory (a province/state over here and a NUTS1 region over there) for which the investor(s) would buy their franchise on the basis of having exclusive rights to operate a league franchise in that territory for an initial term of years and gaining an ongoing exclusive right to operate a league franchise in the metropolitan area of the chosen city for as long as the franchise remains there.

17 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Obviously London comes to mind first, followed by a small number of other big cities in England which would be within the particular franchise territory (a province/state over here and a NUTS1 region over there) for which the investor(s) would buy their franchise on the basis of having exclusive rights to operate a league franchise in that territory for an initial term of years and gaining an ongoing exclusive right to operate a league franchise in the metropolitan area of the chosen city for as long as the franchise remains there.

Which other cities? And which existing teams would miss the cut in your world?

Incidentally London have had a team for 25+ years and they struggle to attract 2,000 fans. What you’re suggesting might work in North America but it wouldn’t here, our sporting culture is completely different.

Edited by Eddie

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which other cities? And which existing teams would miss the cut in your world?

Incidentally London have had a team for 25+ years and they struggle to attract 2,000 fans. What you’re suggesting might work in North America but it wouldn’t here, our sporting culture is completely different.

Which traditional RU clubs play in Super Rugby and Pro 14?  The answer is none, regional rep teams play in those leagues instead.  Replace regional rep teams with brand new purpose-built franchises in major world class cities in G20 countries and that's my concept.  The existing teams would all be left in the same league structure as now playing the same traditional opponents as ever.

I know all about London, it's 39 years and counting now and the evidence shows that only a team which is part of a whole new, bigger and better structure could possibly break through the combination of lack of awareness of the game and the view that it's just a small time regional game with limited appeal which Londoners evidently share with other Brits outside M62-land.  Offer them instead a league where London plays the likes of New York, Toronto, Toulouse, Barcelona, etc. week in and week out in an RL competition which delivers the rugby equivalent of the Champions League, UEFA League and Copa Libertardores every season and that could change, indeed it's probably the only possible way of changing those views.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1