Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/report-sonny-bill-williams-agrees-to-10-million-super-league-deal/news-story/2ae79a433743f24f09d546d7a3737876

SonnyBill Williams has reportedly agreed to the richest contract in rugby league and union history, accepting a $10 million deal to return to the 13-man code.

Danny Weidler reported on Nine News Williams had accepted the jaw-dropping, two-year deal with English Super League side the Toronto Wolfpack.

“He’s made his mind up to play for the Toronto Wolfpack who play in the English Super League,” Weidler said. “The deal is stunning — $10m for two years’ work.

“Incredible money.”

#BREAKING: @Danny_Weidlerreveals two MASSIVE Rugby League stories. 

Sonny-Bill Williams is heading BACK to Rugby League; and the @sydneyroosters have WITHDRAWN their offer to Latrell Mitchell. #9Newspic.twitter.com/ytGDC3ssxj

— Nine News Sydney (@9NewsSyd) November 5, 2019

Williams played for the All Blacks in the recent Rugby World Cup but will return to the code where he launched his career as a teenager with the Bulldogs in the NRL.

New Zealand lost to England in the semi-finals of the World Cup but defeated Wales in the third-place playoff.

News of the deal comes after Toronto’s head coach Brian McDermott revealed in October his team had received word Williams was interested in joining the team.

The Toronto team is on the lookout for big-name signings following their promotion from the second-tier Championship and were keen on signing the All Blacks star.

The record deal would see Williams earn around four times the wages paid to NRL superstar Daly Cherry-Evans ($10 million over eight seasons) and AFL superstar Lance Franklin ($10 million over nine seasons).

The 34-year-old won the Rugby World Cup with New Zealand in 2011 and 2015 and last played professional rugby league with the Roosters in 2014.

Other rugby league and union teams were rumoured to be in the hunt for Williams’ signature after his contract with New Zealand Rugby ended following the All Blacks’ win over Wales.

Toronto has a competitive advantage over interested rivals of being able to sign Williams as a Super League marquee player where just $300,000 of his salary will be included in the team’s salary cap.

McDermott said recently his team wanted to bring in a David Beckham-type player to do for the Wolfpack what the former Manchester United favourite did for LA Galaxy — and that Williams fits the bill.

“Sonny Bill Williams has shown interest in us and that’s what it is at the moment,” McDermott said last month.

“He’s currently busy with the World Cup so I wouldn’t ever dare to suggest that he is more than interested in coming but the answer wasn’t a ‘no’ once we made contact so that’s something we’d like to follow up.”

The Wolfpack, a Canadian franchise, is funded by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle and will make its debut in the Super League next year after winning promotion by beating Featherstone Rovers.

• Like 1

If that’s right then SBW would be getting £2.69m per year, more than double London Broncos’ entire squad last year.

Clearly not worth it on the field but I suppose this is really about pumping up the IPO.

• Like 1

Is it the real SBW ? as according to the legion of doom Toronto have developed cardboard cutouts that actually move and resemble kids playing rugby these days.

• Like 3

If true im sure some people will put a negative on the biggest name in either code signing for Toronto but I'll just ignore them and read RL stories in all the newspapers and watch better sponsors get involved. 

• Like 1

I have booked my flights to Toronto and back, plenty to do over there so I'm doing ten days in case I never get to go there again. I won't be able to afford Catalans and Magic Weekend again

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nate90 said:

I have booked my flights to Toronto and back, plenty to do over there so I'm doing ten days in case I never get to go there again. I won't be able to afford Catalans and Magic Weekend again

So this coming season you are swapping both MW and Cats away for Toronto ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

My local chippy said that he was going to sign with Salford, I guess he was way off.

He was until he tasted their chips!

• Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Just now, Nate90 said:

Yes I'll just do Toronto this year.

See Parky is right ,they're costing the game over here and in France your much needed cash 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nate90 said:

You will have a blast!

• Like 1

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/toronto-target-tuilagi-as-their-next-rock-star-alongside-sonny-bill-20191106-p537vk.html

Toronto target Tuilagi as their next 'rock star' alongside Sonny Bill

Manu Tuilagi is the next high-profile rugby union star to be targeted by Toronto Wolfpack as they prepare for life in Super League with cross-code star Sonny Bill Williams.

Toronto, who were promoted last month, are close to confirming the signing of Williams on a lucrative two-year contract.

The Telegraph, London revealed that Brian McDermott, Toronto's head coach, watched the 34-year-old play for the All Blacks in their World Cup semi-final defeat by England in Yokohama, in which Tuilagi played.

They later held face-to-face talks and Williams has been offered a deal that includes a minority stake in the Canadian club.

Now the club wants to sign Tuilagi to further bolster their ambition to become a global sporting brand.

The 28-year-old Leicester centre turned down a big-money move to French club Racing 92 this year and signed a contract extension to keep him at Welford Road until June 2021. Ben Te'o, the Toulon centre, who won 18 England caps under Eddie Jones, also remains on Toronto's radar. It is believed Toronto have had contact with representatives of both players.

The Wolfpack would be required to pay a sizeable fee to sign Tuilagi, but the acquisition of Williams in a sports-mad city has set the pulses racing on both sides of the world.

One source told the Telegraph, London: "A lot of NRL players are now cold-calling Brian Noble, Toronto's director of rugby, about joining.

"The signing of Sonny Bill shows how serious the Wolfpack are in trying to crack the North American market. They want to sign players who are considered 'rock stars' in order to change the face of Super League. Manu Tuilagi is definitely next on their list."

Significantly, new rules were introduced two years ago to allow Super League clubs with sufficient funds to bring in players from outside rugby league without it affecting the wage cap.

The Wolfpack are unable to play at the Lamport Stadium until April because of the harsh Canadian winter and the unavailability of their local authority-owned stadium, so have switched their first three home fixtures.

They open against Castleford in a double-header at Headingley on February 2 and play champions St Helens at Allianz Park, home of Saracens, on February 29.

Tuilagi would be a good signing. Barnstorming x factor centre.

Imagine having to line up against SBW, Tuilagi and Ricky Leutele. 

• Thanks 1

So, the naysayers fears that twp would weaken the player pool was misfounded, they are actually strengthening it... 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, dkw said:

So, the naysayers fears that twp would weaken the player pool was misfounded, they are actually strengthening it... 

I hope that's true about the strengthening, it's certainly achieving that with the SL brand now.

Sitting up and taking notice because money makes the world go round! And the British Media speaks currency as its first language.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Te'o would be a better signing,rugby wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Briefly on SBW.

There was a lot of negativity about him after he switched codes and went of boxing etc. but I was OK with him chasing the money, but happy to see him go as he seemed disruptive.

However, my view of him changed when I went to see PNG v the Kiwis at Headingley in 2013. After the game, which was one sided but the atmosphere and support for PNG was brilliant, I had to stay behind to let the crowds go as I was there with a disabled friend.

Sonny Bill spent at least 15 minutes after the game walking round, meeting fans and signing autographs. He was still out there when I left. He's welcome back into RL and into SL any time he likes.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its going to happen....we need the firepower to make the SL playoffs next year and then the trophies will pile up after that....poor Wigan.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I would be surprised by Tuilagi.. He turned down big money moves to France (maybe not as big, and i know everyone has a price but...) to stay in england and play for England.... he seems intent on proving he is a top quality RU player after all his year injured.. 

Equally it seems his joints are made of chocolate so i'm not sure if I was a wolfpack fan that i would see him as good value on a plastic pitch.. think your A&E department would need to be well stocked!

• Like 1

TWP to play a moved 'home' game at Allianz Park also according to that SMH article.

And apparently discussing a 3 season Netflix series.. Big things.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Briefly on SBW.

There was a lot of negativity about him after he switched codes and went of boxing etc. but I was OK with him chasing the money, but happy to see him go as he seemed disruptive.

However, my view of him changed when I went to see PNG v the Kiwis at Headingley in 2013. After the game, which was one sided but the atmosphere and support for PNG was brilliant, I had to stay behind to let the crowds go as I was there with a disabled friend.

Sonny Bill spent at least 15 minutes after the game walking round, meeting fans and signing autographs. He was still out there when I left. He's welcome back into RL and into SL any time he likes.

I was at that game and hung around afterwards and can concur 100% with that. 

• Like 6