Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm not so sure, Scotland are heading that way (like Ireland)...  and frankly so are Australia.

Indeed as an aside I would have thought this humiliation of Australia in the WC could turn more Aussies to RL.

Are there still many Rugby Union fans left in Australia?

That code was dying there even when the Wallabies were doing ok decades ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

12,528 on Friday night and 15,684 on Saturday declared 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/20/nines-here-to-stay-irl-boss-backs-format/

Thanks,

Those figures are  bigger than I thought for both days, the larger upper tiers looked pretty well empty on both days as did one complete end.

Ah well bigger and better next year and get it on free to air TV where it will get some build up and promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AB90 said:

If you asked any rugby union fan who the current 7s world champions are they wouldn't have a clue

In Fiji they probably know. Fiji even has a $7 note as legal currency because of their love of their 7s team’s successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AB90 said:

It's only 9s. If you asked any rugby union fan who the current 7s world champions are they wouldn't have a clue (they would probably guess New Zealand or Fiji based off their dominance in the format). But it doesn't mean anything. There are no bragging rights. It's an exhibition to showcase great open rugby. Which it did the last 2 days (other than England)!

Let's all relax.

To be honest, if you asked most people who identified as Rugby Union fans who the current World Champions of 15-a-side were, they wouldn't have a clue either.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2019 at 11:59, Dunbar said:

Indeed.  I would take Daryl Clark ahead of Ben Hunt and Widdop ahead of Brimson but after that I am struggling to think of an England player I would definitely have ahead of their Australian counterparts.  Probably just Elliott Whitehead for one of their back rowers.

Not too many then!

Bateman , Thompson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Thanks,

Those figures are  bigger than I thought for both days, the larger upper tiers looked pretty well empty on both days as did one complete end.

Ah well bigger and better next year and get it on free to air TV where it will get some build up and promotion.

Let’s hope so but I find those figures a bit hard to believe, it looked like pretty of empty seats on both nights!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Are there still many Rugby Union fans left in Australia?

That code was dying there even when the Wallabies were doing ok decades ago.

Union is completely dead in Australia.

NSW Cup (reserve grade) would rate high than Super Rugby (TV wise).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed watching the 9's good to see some upsets and lesser known rugby league playing countries, one thing that must be improved is the refereeing, it was very poor!

Edited by kiwis 13 6
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Those figures are  bigger than I thought for both days, the larger upper tiers looked pretty well empty on both days as did one complete end.

Maybe they multiplied it by 9? ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I enjoyed watching the 9's good to see some upsets and lesser known rugby league playing countries, one thing that must be improved the is refereeing it was very poor!

Edited by Jim from Oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As I say, overall it was a success but I have to say this format is not for me.  I will watch and enjoy in future but it is not a patch on the 13 man game.  The part of Rugby League I like the best is the attritional physical nature of the sport... the spectacular tries and skills are an important part but I like the physical battle that 'earns' these tries as much if not more.  This doesn't exist in 9's and it felt like a highlights package than a game.

 

My thoughts exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I enjoyed watching the 9's good to see some upsets and lesser known rugby league playing countries, one thing that must be improved the is refereeing it was very poor!

 Totally agree, the refereeing was appalling, and was completely biased in favour of Australia!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who would they be Elbow, which countries could produce a team to compete at this level that did not have player's already performing at this or near this level?

Jamica, but its about encouragement for countries its your thinking that keeps league were its been for the last century, if we had persevered with countries like Russia its in this format they could develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed by England, just didn't pick the right players for the tournament.

And this could be heavy waiting for the GB games.

Very happy about Wales' win v the Lebanese. 


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Jamica, but its about encouragement for countries its your thinking that keeps league were its been for the last century, if we had persevered with countries like Russia its in this format they could develop. 

Jamaica? I really do not know the answer to this question so I am happy to be educated, you said use this type of tournament to encourage new nations instead of teams made up from 'heritage' Aussies,

Question does the Jamaican team not contain any 'heritage' player's? If it does what would make them any different from say Lebanon, Italy, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc.

There is a competition called the emerging nations that was inaugurated after the 2000 WC, you mention Russia, they played if you remember in that competition conceeding 224 and scoring just 20 (12 of those against a Fiji team that England thrashed 66 -10) in just 3 games, now please tell me what good that did for the game in Russia, if I recall correctly it went downhill very quickly after that - albeit I could be wrong, but as you say it was a team without 'heritage' player's, so on that note good on them.

It's not my thinking at all to keep the sport in just a few countries, but as with anything else these days everything is about money, the RL world even including the might and wealth of the NRL collectively is very poor, The RFL, NZRL, FFR in France and even PNG who is the only nation with RL as it's premier No1 sport do not have the kind of money to invest in other countries in anything other than a token gesture, you say "if we had persevered" how? In the UK we could not even persevere with the excellent job the development officers were doing once The RFL lost the Sport England funding.

It is all very well making one line rash statements, anyone can do that, how would you back up your 'perseverance'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Jamaica? I really do not know the answer to this question so I am happy to be educated, you said use this type of tournament to encourage new nations instead of teams made up from 'heritage' Aussies,

Question does the Jamaican team not contain any 'heritage' player's? If it does what would make them any different from say Lebanon, Italy, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc.

There is a competition called the emerging nations that was inaugurated after the 2000 WC, you mention Russia, they played if you remember in that competition conceeding 224 and scoring just 20 (12 of those against a Fiji team that England thrashed 66 -10) in just 3 games, now please tell me what good that did for the game in Russia, if I recall correctly it went downhill very quickly after that - albeit I could be wrong, but as you say it was a team without 'heritage' player's, so on that note good on them.

It's not my thinking at all to keep the sport in just a few countries, but as with anything else these days everything is about money, the RL world even including the might and wealth of the NRL collectively is very poor, The RFL, NZRL, FFR in France and even PNG who is the only nation with RL as it's premier No1 sport do not have the kind of money to invest in other countries in anything other than a token gesture, you say "if we had persevered" how? In the UK we could not even persevere with the excellent job the development officers were doing once The RFL lost the Sport England funding.

It is all very well making one line rash statements, anyone can do that, how would you back up your 'perseverance'?

Harry you know well we as a sport get grass shoots in many countries only to neglect and let it die or worse union to take over, and losing heavy early in development is expected but just because it happens doesnt mean we should give up. And the nines format is easier for teams to try at international level unlike the 13 aside format. And as for heritage players i understand the need for them in southsea island sides with small populations but ultimately you have to were possible try and develop players. I am also not saying ther is a governing body around at present with the will or capability to help grow the game but that shouldn't stop us trying. And on Jamica are they not playing a 13 aside international today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Are those good figures for rugby league on Fox?

 

I wonder how it compared to the rugby union wallabies v Poms on free to air at the same time?

 

 


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Harry you know well we as a sport get grass shoots in many countries only to neglect and let it die or worse union to take over, and losing heavy early in development is expected but just because it happens doesnt mean we should give up. And the nines format is easier for teams to try at international level unlike the 13 aside format. And as for heritage players i understand the need for them in southsea island sides with small populations but ultimately you have to were possible try and develop players. I am also not saying ther is a governing body around at present with the will or capability to help grow the game but that shouldn't stop us trying. And on Jamica are they not playing a 13 aside international today.

But you're not answering his question on funding , which is where a lot of the frustration with Toronto comes from , I have the utmost respect for David Argyle as I have for any investor in RL anywhere , maybe he has a plan to get it into the consciousness of the Ontario area and then Look to work with the ' official ' ( yes I'm aware of the tiny nature of CRL ) body to build some grass roots , we hear much about ' Rugby ' and how there isn't the same issues over there than Europe , but I've no doubt World RU will be watching and prepared to do whatever is necessary to prevent growth of League in Canada , so is David Argyle just having a bit of fun before the enevitable ? ( Which is his perogative ) , or is he genuinely interested in building a legacy ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crowds where poor 28k over 2 days i say they hope for 40k over the 2 days. 

Event i hold in either nz, north america or a good one would be toulouse or total left field hold in brazil given south america nation has government support.

Png was best near performance knocking over nz, lebanon need a kick up the ###### need to develop there own local talent. France where disappointing as usual. Australia with players like ponga and fifta coming through good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But you're not answering his question on funding , which is where a lot of the frustration with Toronto comes from , I have the utmost respect for David Argyle as I have for any investor in RL anywhere , maybe he has a plan to get it into the consciousness of the Ontario area and then Look to work with the ' official ' ( yes I'm aware of the tiny nature of CRL ) body to build some grass roots , we hear much about ' Rugby ' and how there isn't the same issues over there than Europe , but I've no doubt World RU will be watching and prepared to do whatever is necessary to prevent growth of League in Canada , so is David Argyle just having a bit of fun before the enevitable ? ( Which is his perogative ) , or is he genuinely interested in building a legacy ?

Magic weekend is funded by the host city and sponsors, would places such as Barcelona or Toronto not be able to fund a weekend event never mind British cities especially if they are on a four year cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Crowds where poor 28k over 2 days i say they hope for 40k over the 2 days. 

Event i hold in either nz, north america or a good one would be toulouse or total left field hold in brazil given south america nation has government support.

Png was best near performance knocking over nz, lebanon need a kick up the ###### need to develop there own local talent. France where disappointing as usual. Australia with players like ponga and fifta coming through good luck. 

Ponga had a poor Nines IMO.

So much was expected and only a little delivered along with a few mistakes and some ball hogging.

Edited by Gibbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Magic weekend is funded by the host city and sponsors, would places such as Barcelona or Toronto not be able to fund a weekend event never mind British cities especially if they are on a four year cycle. 

Not really got an opinion on this , just pointing out the lack of ' fine detailing ' when suggesting various ideas ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Crowds where poor 28k over 2 days i say they hope for 40k over the 2 days. 

Event i hold in either nz, north america or a good one would be toulouse or total left field hold in brazil given south america nation has government support.

Png was best near performance knocking over nz, lebanon need a kick up the ###### need to develop there own local talent. France where disappointing as usual. Australia with players like ponga and fifta coming through good luck. 

?That could be said of many teams. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...