John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Maybe coming across like that mate, but probably quite the opposite really.

Feeling really quite like I cant be assed with the sport more than ever.

I can empathise. There needs to be a lot of change in the UK and globally in terms of the administration of the sport.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just seen the score after a day in Paris.

An 18-point defeat to PNG is inexcusable and unforgivable. Wayne Bennett must go.

Must go where? The khazi? Shopping? 

Edited by Johnoco

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It will take a while for the hysterical doom-mongering, self-loathing and scapegoating to die down. Why? Because we love to hate our game. That set of ratings was a prime example.

The tour:

The tour: England barely scraped through their WC9s group playing an anachronistic 13s style (and losing to a Lebanon side with underage players) then got pumped, we lost all four Tests starting badly and getting progressively worse, Wayne Bennett has killed the Lions and will now be lucky to keep his job, and we now face a Kangaroos tour where any optimism for a series win has turned into fear of a whitewash.

Other than that, it was a roaring success!

Edited by Man of Kent

Keep hearing a lot about Bennett's 'successful' World Cup in 2017. 

As I recall we lost comfortably to Australia first up, underwhelmed in beating Lebanon and looked ordinary against a very weak France, before beating PNG in the quarters and just about resisting a late fight back to beat Tonga in the semis.

Hardly inspiring stuff.

Is it just that we're relieved that we weren't embarrassed in the final?  Is that the limit of our ambition now? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

The Kangaroos taking the 2 with 5 minutes to go and 20 points up versus the Kiwis is a prime example. We used to mock RU for that.

I'm not that bothered about teams trying to wind a game down 20 points up and taking the 2 with 5 to go.

Its teams taking the 2 when 0-0 with 15 gone that I don't like (and something we definitely mocked Union for).  We.used to attack at every opportunity... I am also pretty sure that the teams taking the 2 aren't necessarily grinding out a result. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not that bothered about teams trying to wind a game down 20 points up and taking the 2 with 5 to go.

Its teams taking the 2 when 0-0 with 15 gone that I don't like (and something we definitely mocked Union for).  We.used to attack at every opportunity... I am also pretty sure that the teams taking the 2 aren't necessarily grinding out a result. 

Aye I've made my feelings known on taking the 2 earlier in the game too. 

My point about the Aussies decision is that it wouldn't have happened until pretty recently. It was highlighted even more as the commentators were highlighting how average the game and performances had been, and that the crowd hadn't really been entertained.

Why on earth wouldn't they look to score again and entertain the crowd? There was no chance of losing, literally no risk, no benefit to getting the extra 2pts, it was literally a 'we cant be bothered any more' play.

At Wire this year I got frustrated when we would march down the pitch as the forwards were dominant, and then from 30m out on the last we would grubber it into touch - and it was Blake Austin, probably our most attacking talent doing this. So I had a wry smile yesterday when it spectacularly backfired on GB yesterday when Jackson Hastings (probably GBs most attacking player) did it.

Negative play is becoming more the norm, I think that is really dangerous for a sport that prides itself on entertainment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm sick to death of hearing coaches and players talk about process and percentages. That wont sell tickets. Keep that on the training field. I want to hear about skill, flair, inventiveness, passion etc. Not effing process - this is worse than being at work.

It is genuinely challenging my love for RL at the moment.

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm sick to death of hearing coaches and players talk about process and percentages. That wont sell tickets. Keep that on the training field. I want to hear about skill, flair, inventiveness, passion etc. Not effing process - this is worse than being at work.

The is no chance of getting a high completion rate from you at work!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

You play with the players you have got, and facing a fast organised defence then attacking players have to complete with speed. We are not completing, we are making more errors and this is just regularly putting ourselves back defending on our own 20m line. 

With a 10m defence gap then it's always going to put you back on your own sticks.  Because of our inability to complete efficiently or at all we will always lose.

The players, brought up in our game, are passing by the basics.

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye I've made my feelings known on taking the 2 earlier in the game too. 

My point about the Aussies decision is that it wouldn't have happened until pretty recently. It was highlighted even more as the commentators were highlighting how average the game and performances had been, and that the crowd hadn't really been entertained.

Why on earth wouldn't they look to score again and entertain the crowd? There was no chance of losing, literally no risk, no benefit to getting the extra 2pts, it was literally a 'we cant be bothered any more' play.

At Wire this year I got frustrated when we would march down the pitch as the forwards were dominant, and then from 30m out on the last we would grubber it into touch - and it was Blake Austin, probably our most attacking talent doing this. So I had a wry smile yesterday when it spectacularly backfired on GB yesterday when Jackson Hastings (probably GBs most attacking player) did it.

Negative play is becoming more the norm, I think that is really dangerous for a sport that prides itself on entertainment.

You are way off tbe point.

Your own team destroyed Hull in the Cup semi with Austin to the fore with his kicking game.

And you destroyed Saints in the final with Jack Hughes at stand off!!

So go figure.  

42 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are way off tbe point.

Your own team destroyed Hull in the Cup semi with Austin to the fore with his kicking game.

And you destroyed Saints in the final with Jack Hughes at stand off!!

So go figure.  

Thanks for supporting my point. 

I enjoyed those wins very much, but let's not kid ourselves that they were vintage entertaining RL performances. 

The semi final was absorbing as a contest in terrible conditions with fierce defences. Wire scored 4 tries - two from Hull drops where we picked it up and scored and two from cross-field kicks. Our negative play kept Hull in the game when we were dominant. But it was enjoyable due to the occasion and fact it was a 2 point game with 60secs to go.

And it should be added that maybe Hull let Wire off by taking the 2pts on a couple of occasions.

The Final was great because of the occasion and the fact that the massive favourites were humbled. Wire played in a way that they had to based on the circumstances and it paid off.

Neither of those wins contradict my viewpoint that negative play is winning through at the moment. It supports my point.

Those wins were great, but the other 15 games wrapped around that where Wire looked even worse than this GB team was just not entertainment.

Nowadays it genuinely appears to be a surprise when a team attacks, look at the plaudits Cas and Salford have had in recent years. 

Look at how Wigan have managed to reduce their crowds with their dour style over the Wane era despite having a lot of success. That should be a worry for the game.

But, if you enjoy the way it is going, great it's all personal opinion and choice, plenty pay money to ho and watch Union.

Thankfully at my club our CEO has publicly disagreed with Price. Price reckons this season wasnt a failure - Fitzpatrick was very vocal in telling him it was and that we will be playing a more attractive brand next year. I'm glad he gets it.

Edited by Dave T

Dear DaveT...

I think crowds are not linked to dour play.  Wigan as with other teams play the best they can with the players they have got.

Wigans play had been amazingly variable, not least because they have had lots of injuries.   But also lets be clear, their performances are variable because they regularly make easy errors. 

It's possible that with no relegation then players would play with less fear.  Certainly our international players need to play with less fear and more execution.  But at international level I suggest we need to both execute and do it with quality and speed (ie action and mind). Currently we are both slow and cannot execute.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Dear DaveT...

I think crowds are not linked to dour play.  Wigan as with other teams play the best they can with the players they have got.

Wigans play had been amazingly variable, not least because they have had lots of injuries.   But also lets be clear, their performances are variable because they regularly make easy errors. 

It's possible that with no relegation then players would play with less fear.  Certainly our international players need to play with less fear and more execution.  But at international level I suggest we need to both execute and do it with quality and speed (ie action and mind). Currently we are both slow and cannot execute.

Fair comments. My point about Wigans lack of entertainment has  been based on some Wigan fans views here and elsewhere plus from watching them myself, but it is all subjective. But despite winning crowds have dropped, I wouldn't say errors drop crowds if they are winning. But as I say, subjective.

That try by PNG's bench player Edwin Ipape, when he completely outpaced Blake Austin just before half time, was a beauty though.

Edwin Ipape and Edene Gebbie are the two rising sensations of the PNG team.

Full back or winger Gebbie has joined South Sydney for the 2020 season.

Five eighth Ipape who is only 20, is with the Intrust Queensland Cup team Wynnum Manly for the moment, but I expect him to find an NRL team before too long.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Most disappointing thing of the whole tour was the total lack of creativity from the halves , the total lack of ideas to open up the opposition defence , and the fact we hardly made a clean break in any of the Tests .It seemed as if the whole thing was cobbled together with an unbalanced squad and an assumption that no one would get injured .

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Plenty of fans thought Austin was one of the better  "British" players.

In his defence he wasn't afraid to take some much needed hit ups to give the forwards a rest.

He was thrown in the deep end and did about as well as anyone thought he would.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg