Did You Used To Love The Christmas Schedule?

Scubby

This is not a summer or winter debate. Summer rugby is here to stay and the game is doing okay.

But did you used to get pumped up over those big Boxing Day fixtures back in the day? Was it a key part of your Christmas plans? I have amazing memories of freezing on the terraces as a kid. It was usually Wakefield v Fev where I grew up - occasionally Fev v Cas. Also, the atmosphere at these games used to be quite unique as they were derbies and people were mostly in a good mood (even RL fans ? ) 

It may be rose tinted views of my teenage years but I do miss those particular occasions. The fact it was a crucial part of the season was also important I think. Am I alone or did you guys used to love those occasions too? We can all be nostalgic without demanding a return to winter rugby can't we?!!

Often used to go to Headingley for the morning game, all sheepskin coats and the smell of cigars in the South Stand, then to either Odsal or Thrum Hall, the smell of Webster's ? drifting through the crowd, on Boxing Day. Alas, I'm old enough to remember Christmas day game's at Fartown too.

28 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This is not a summer or winter debate. Summer rugby is here to stay and the game is doing okay.

But did you used to get pumped up over those big Boxing Day fixtures back in the day? Was it a key part of your Christmas plans? I have amazing memories of freezing on the terraces as a kid. It was usually Wakefield v Fev where I grew up - occasionally Fev v Cas. Also, the atmosphere at these games used to be quite unique as they were derbies and people were mostly in a good mood (even RL fans ? ) 

It may be rose tinted views of my teenage years but I do miss those particular occasions. The fact it was a crucial part of the season was also important I think. Am I alone or did you guys used to love those occasions too? We can all be nostalgic without demanding a return to winter rugby can't we?!!

I remember the last Featherstone - Castleford derby before summer rugby. It was packed out, great atmosphere which carried on into the Pubs and Clubs after the game. Then it was usually Wakefield away on New Year's Day.

56 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We wouldnt need a return to winter rugby.

Either a reformatted challenge cup or new cup competition (preferably reformated cc) starting boxing day would imo be very successful.

Have one or two live games every day for that hazy period between boxing day and new year, encourage people to buy season tickets or mini season tickets as christmas presents, create a tradition.

People argue that year round rugby is a bad thing, it isnt really, year round rugby for the same players is a bad thing.

Start on boxing day play the CC to march, clubs 9s, start 23 round SL in March, build in international weekends and an UK international 9s weekend, GF beginning of october, NH international weekend, Autumn internationals october november, international 9s series november/december and start all over again.

Player safety clearly not an issue for you at all then.... ? 

Wire on Boxing day at home and Saints away New year's day. Wrapped up in four layers, scarfs, gloves, coffee, hot meat n tater pie. Great days out. Though don't think I want to go back to them now!

Saw Oldham v Halifax in the snow. Remember Paul Moriarty diving to score from 3 or 4 yards out. Daft ######!? Now that was cold. Working in Oldham we always referred to it as Ice Station Zebra.

Just now, Adelaide Tiger said:

On quite a few occasions the fixtures on either Boxing Day or New Years Day would pan out so that I could go watch Cas kick off at 11.30 then after the match shoot off to Elland Road to watch Leeds United.  Happy days.

Remember going to the Heavy Woolen derby, noon ko, before going on to the Widnes game. Like you say, happy days!??

Was great going to the Mount on Christmas day to watch the derby game.Seem to recall they also played on Boxing day.Don't know how these guys playing today would handle that.Also played about 40 games i a season in terrible conditions at times.

My personal preference certainly stems from the NFP days. Leigh v Widnes on Boxing Day and Good Friday, with the Grand Final at the end of July. Was a bit weird when Widnes had 7 months without a game ahead of Super League, but it didn’t seem to do them any harm.  

That said, it was an annual nervous moment as to whether or not Bolton had a home game on Boxing Day so I’d rather not return to that where possible!

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

As i say, year round rugby isnt the problem, year round for the same players is.

If we shared the workload a bit more then it wouldnt  be an issue

But as a general rule, without more money, the quality to support that simply isn't there at the moment

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

none of Walker, Handley, Newman, Lynne, Sneyd, Sutcliffe, Taylor, McIlorum, Ashurst, Ward, Westerman, Johnstone, McIntosh, Lawrence, Mellor, Mulhern played top class RL after the 13th September last year.

They are unlikely to play again until the very end of January. There is no reason to assume that a 6 week or so 9s series for them would overload them physically or not be entertaining and attractive.

That would largely be everything added in for them. There wouldnt be too many additional games, only really the internationals.

So when would their off season/pre-season period be? Your initial suggestion was an international 9s in Nov/Dec. If they finished their season mid Sept, that gives 6weeks for rest & pre-season to start the 9s in November. 

As Scubby quite rightly said at the start RL is now a summer sport and that isn't going to change anytime soon, but to my mind I preferred the winter season and all it's problems, it provided adversity that a team had to overcome to be the best of the bunch but like life things change and you just have to accept it.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

As Scubby quite rightly said at the start RL is now a summer sport and that isn't going to change anytime soon, but to my mind I preferred the winter season and all it's problems, it provided adversity that a team had to overcome to be the best of the bunch but like life things change and you just have to accept it.

What month does this season start?

Yes I do miss the Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures. Playing Wigan and Widnes in front of massive crowds was part of Christmas and our family gatherings are still around Boxing Day even though the rugby is no more.

There was definately a certain aroma in the air for those games. A heady mix of beer, scotch, tobacco and brut.

Boxing Day is not the same any more. I find myself getting restless and watching racing and football on TV doesnt quite fill the gap   

On 21/12/2019 at 11:58, Scubby said:

It was great when I was 16. Could get a bus from anywhere in Leeds to the match and the atmosphere was brilliant. 

It's too cold for my old bones now, the traffic is horrendous and I'm much happier with the memories and watching in a tee shirt these days 

4 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What month does this season start?

Be it January or February it's not really comparable, the pitches should be in far better condition due to little or no use and with it being the third week of December with only the slightest scattering of snow and only a couple of nights of frost winter nowadays is just slightly wetter than the rest of the year.

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Don`t miss the Boxing Day fixtures one bit , means i can watch the King George at Kempton in peace .Used to record it but back in the day some clown on the terrace would always blurt out the result.

Back in the day you already knew the result ................. Desert Orchid

Changing times again, am not sure as many people have an interest in the racing either

Too young for Boxing Day league fixtures so I suppose it’s a case of you don’t miss what you never had, for me. I don’t live close enough to Saints to want us to play friendlies either.

I do remember the Challenge Cup “starting” (for Super League clubs at least) early in the calendar year and you could be out of the hunt for a Wembley appearance before the Super League season started and I seem to remember Saints being pitted against Wigan and Leeds in the early stages of the Cup in the late 90’s/early 00’s. These days it feels like you win one game and you’re basically in the semi-final already. I wouldn’t mind more jeopardy in the Cup, though only after we’ve won it for the first time in forever. 

On 21/12/2019 at 17:46, doc said:

Wire on Boxing day at home and Saints away New year's day. Wrapped up in four layers, scarfs, gloves, coffee, hot meat n tater pie. Great days out. Though don't think I want to go back to them now!

Remember one game at Knowsley Road on New Years day played in an absolute pea souper.

I believe we lost.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Certainly do miss the festive season league fixtures. Our choice was usually either Fartown or Thrum Hall (or Odsal, if Halifax were playing there, and very occasionally Elland Road's heated pitch, if frost was an issue).

I remember one year we made the foolish mistake of imagining the Boxing Day kick-off times in the Yorkshire Post were correct. We walked up the drive at Fartown just as everybody was streaming out of the ground, heading in the opposite direction. The game had started at 12.30!

Football is now my only festive sporting option.

Archived