Jump to content

Boxing Day Fixtures


Recommended Posts


Is it me or do these Yorkshire matches kick off earlier every year? Saves sixpence on t'lecky?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Is it me or do these Yorkshire matches kick off earlier every year? Saves sixpence on t'lecky?

It's you.  The Leeds v Wakey Boxing Day fixture has been 11.30 K.O. right back from when it was a winter period League fixture.  2nd half was always televised by the Beeb.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

 2nd half was always televised by the Beeb.

imagine that these days, its not even on the bbc website or text service as existing as a fixture of any kind.

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough day for Trinity at Leeds, lost King with a broken ankle and Crowther with multiple fractures to his face.

Apart from that Wakefield were awful, even allowing for this being a pre season, festive friendly, Trinity were a shambles! Agar outcoached Chester as well which doesn’t say much for Chester’s nouse.

Granted Wakefield weren’t at full strength and have some players to come in, namely Fifita, Tupou & Johnstone. Leeds weren’t at full strength either but looked like a team from 3 Divisions higher than Wakey.

It was shades of last year for Wakefield which doesn’t bode well, we seem to have fallen for our own spin that it was just injuries that caused our horrible form last season and we’ve learned nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a serious note. Does anyone know why these fixtures survived in Yorkshire, but died out elsewhere.

2 serious possible season wrecking fractures for Trinity doesn't suggest they are wise. The fact that plenty manage without suggests they aren't entirely necessary?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dixiedean said:

On a serious note. Does anyone know why these fixtures survived in Yorkshire, but died out elsewhere.

2 serious possible season wrecking fractures for Trinity doesn't suggest they are wise. The fact that plenty manage without suggests they aren't entirely necessary?

Its a preseason friendly? Wakefield I know are very happy to have this game as part of their preseason for financial as well as to have a hit out. Injuries can happen at any time, especially the two described, so I don't put stock into that argument. 

Are any preseason games necessary? On their own no probably not, but choosing who and when to play probably is. Leeds have got 2 against Super League opposition (Wakey and Wigan), 2 against Championship (Bradford and Fev) and 2 against League 1 (Hunslet and Newcastle) - should provide the whole squad a hit out and a bit of an early season bonus for those clubs that are hosting/testimonials. Overall I don't think you can read too much into preseason, unless its really bad. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dixiedean said:

On a serious note. Does anyone know why these fixtures survived in Yorkshire, but died out elsewhere.

2 serious possible season wrecking fractures for Trinity doesn't suggest they are wise. The fact that plenty manage without suggests they aren't entirely necessary?

I remember Wigan had a pre-season game over the Christmas period scheduled at St Helens a few years ago although that was called off due to icy conditions around the ground (at Knowsley Road), and if I remember correctly hasn't been scheduled similarly since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think trial games are an important part of the pre-season ritual. Not to mention an important 'hit out' for players who have been busy with the hard graft of weights etc and are, in truth, busting a gut to get out onto the paddock. Results don't really matter a jot, to be honest but it's a good way of trying out new moves or players in different positions etc. Generally, how players perform is a good marker for coaches in how well the pre-season has gone. Other than that they're probably no indication anything at all!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

I think trial games are an important part of the pre-season ritual. Not to mention an important 'hit out' for players who have been busy with the hard graft of weights etc and are, in truth, busting a gut to get out onto the paddock. Results don't really matter a jot, to be honest but it's a good way of trying out new moves or players in different positions etc. Generally, how players perform is a good marker for coaches in how well the pre-season has gone. Other than that they're probably no indication anything at all!

I agree they have value but a five game pre-season listed by @Tommygilf seems far too many. My club will have just two, I think the Roosters will have just one after the WCC which will be their first 13 a-side hit out for the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...