Boxing Day Fixtures

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I agree they have value but a five game pre-season listed by @Tommygilf seems far too many. My club will have just two, I think the Roosters will have just one after the WCC which will be their first 13 a-side hit out for the year.

They won’t all play them - the league 1 matches will feature the academy players. 

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I agree they have value but a five game pre-season listed by @Tommygilf seems far too many. My club will have just two, I think the Roosters will have just one after the WCC which will be their first 13 a-side hit out for the year.

Sevens then Locker Cup v Wire used to be traditional. A warm up 5 weeks out from the first game seems rather like stretching for the Olympic 1500m a week before the final.

The reason that clubs go for Boxing Day fixtures is because they are popular with fans and therefore they can make a bit  of money. But I agree they have the effect of stretching out the pre-season friendlies

We (the Bulls) have got another four pre-season games still to come! And that despite John Kear bemoaninglast pre-season, when we also had five, due to potential for injuries.

A lot of the time they seem to be either testimonials of some sort, or part of 'a deal' that allowed a player to move between the clubs. So we end up with more than is actually healthy and prudent!

On 27/12/2019 at 17:35, Sports Prophet said:

Five is too many - agree absolutely.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

On 27/12/2019 at 09:10, cookey said:

Just over 10,000 at Headingley. A very good effort for what is really an Xmas,pre season friendly.

For a supposed friendly, both teams have always put out pretty decent squads but the fixture also has a tradition way before the advent of Summer Rugby. 

It's a superb venue.  The greater part of the ground is nowadays fantastic but I still enjoy the "timelocked" Western Terrace.  Long may it continue.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived