Sign in to follow this  
jannerboyuk

RLWC 2021 to take place at Buckingham Palace

18 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

After that draw I'm now desperate to see what games are going to to take place where and in particular what games are going to be at Kingston Park. Been thinking that they might base Scotland out of Kingston Park, although I recon that their game against Australia will probably be the game at the Riverside.

I'm hoping NZ are based at the Keepmoat. Knowing Carl Hall it's possible.

1 minute ago, Rob Nash said:

I'm hoping NZ are based at the Keepmoat. Knowing Carl Hall it's possible.

I can see NZ and Jamaica being based around Leeds and Donny.

33 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

To be honest I hope Tonga avoid Australia in the quarters or semis just to give them the best possible chance of reaching the final. Tonga getting to the world cup final would be the biggest thing to ever happen in rugby league in my opinion. Anyone want to see the greatest game of rugby league ever played? England v Tonga in the final please!

England v Australia in the final and beating them . That’s the ultimate , for me anyway! I can see it happening , although I am on a lot of tablets 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

England v Australia in the final and beating them . That’s the ultimate , for me anyway! I can see it happening , although I am on a lot of tablets 

Agreed.  England beating Australia in the World Cup final would be the 3rd greatest day of my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RP London said:

To be fair and taking a step back a little but of you are aiming for someone with "no great interest in either code" then no RL player is really going to grab the attention as, unless you like the code, our profile is so low no one is going to be "recognisable". Jason Robinson is a name that people may recognise and then look into why he is associated... but i do think you are playing this up too much. Rugby Fans of both codes will understand, someone with no knowledge of either is either not going to know/care or they are going to have a look, the odd few will think it is odd and move on but we have probably lost them anyway

Isn't aiming at someone with no great interest in our game what we do all the time by wanting RL to have more national coverage ?

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can see NZ and Jamaica being based around Leeds and Donny.

Me too. Both teams would be great in local schools in both towns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its negative for that to be your initial takeaway. Look on the bright side it'll do you some good!

There is a difference between being "negative" and being "not positive". My original comment included ....

23 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Why does it have to be a player known more for his Rugby Union exploits ?  Yes, Jason Robinson played RL but to the general public he will be best known for scoring a try when England RU won their world cup.

For example why not have Kevin Sinfield, a former England RL captain ? Yes, he played one season of RU at the end of his career but to most he will be known as a Rugby League player.

Therefore I have not said that it was wrong that Jason Robinson was doing the draw (yes, that would be negative) but I just asked why it could not be someone more well-known for his Rugby League exploits ... which, OK is not positive, but it is not negative either.

You do seem to have read into things more than what is there.

• Haha 1

Prime time USA coverage -

• Like 4

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

England Tonga would do more good for rugby league in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jannerboyuk said:

Can Samoa win that game?

Yes, if Bennett remains in charge. 

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Understandable excitement about the men's tournament but I am also really pleased about England's group for the women's tournament 

PNG is fantastic, England may only have played PNG three times but a genuine rivalry has developed. Hope they can meet again in 2020 as a prelude to one of the Ashes tests. 

Canada This may be the game that is selected for both Harry and Megan to attend. Though Archie may end up wearing the dreaded half and half scarf. 

Brazil the tournament newcomers and the most interesting story and hopefully the most photogenic fans. 

• Like 2

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Has anyone seen the Brazilian women play? Any good at all?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I haven’t , but going on the nines NZ and Aus looked in a different parish to anyone else .  I don’t know what the strength in depth will be like 

Edited by DavidM

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

ok, calm yerself down....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Isn't aiming at someone with no great interest in our game what we do all the time by wanting RL to have more national coverage ?

yes it is... and the point i am making is that to them it doesnt matter at all about the Jason Robinson thing.. it will not make them question anything and if it does they will simply google him and find out about his RL heritage.. 

you are making an everest sized mountain out of the smallest of molehills. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes it is... and the point i am making is that to them it doesnt matter at all about the Jason Robinson thing.. it will not make them question anything and if it does they will simply google him and find out about his RL heritage.. 

you are making an everest sized mountain out of the smallest of molehills. 

It's also a big positive for the tournament to be able to leverage Robinson's higher profile from his time in RU to the extent that organizers can capitalize on it.

• Like 3

What the organisers of this world cup have realised (which is obvious but our sport hasn't excelled at that) is that you need to sell the event and not just the sport.

Rugby League fans will go to the Rugby League World Cup but non RL fans will also come if they think it is a big event and we are setting that tone.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Good to see Rugby League getting  mentioned on CNN  it was mainly their interest in Prince Harry  first time the reporter said Rugby World cup ,Harry is big on Rugby ' then in next bulletin he Said Rugby League WC with an emphasis on League . Must have been a few got in touch to correct hi. 

With luck any RL highlights which they might use in reporting on this to illustrate the game for their viewers will be from matches played down under and then the gridiron-style numbered lines which we always see in those matches will subliminally convey the sport's parallels to the "football" which they already know and help get them interested in it.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

What the organisers of this world cup have realised (which is obvious but our sport hasn't excelled at that) is that you need to sell the event and not just the sport.

Rugby League fans will go to the Rugby League World Cup but non RL fans will also come if they think it is a big event and we are setting that tone.

Indeed , the organisers have done an outstanding job . You’d hope their knowledge and expertise will be kept in the game 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Prime time USA coverage -

Sadly, she isn’t missing, she didn’t make it out of Paris. 

• Haha 1

I think we have had the mother of all slices of good fortune, with the northern powerhouse new government, and now this being the moment Harry stepped back into public gaze. It has massively increased the profile of the tournament. The team running it are so professional and hard working they would get the most out of it in any case, but there was such an air of quiet self confidence about the draw that spoke volumes to its status. Having the World Cup every 4 years gives us a rhythm and a sense of history in the making now. 

A great day for the game. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

If we thought Lebanon had a lot of heritage players, you just watch how this Greek team will come together over the next 18 months or so. I'm going to put my neck on the line now and say they won't finish bottom of the group! 

Will they have any Aussies playing for them?