Sign in to follow this  
jannerboyuk

RLWC 2021 to take place at Buckingham Palace

8 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

¬†Nope, they'll have heritage qualifying Greeks - come on Harry you know that ūüėŹ

Jason Demetriou, Korkidas, Anasta all pulling their boots on i've heard.....

I jest but yeah with over 400,000 Australian-Greeks I'm sure it'll be some side they put together. 

most australian greeks are in melbourne so wont get much of a help from australia.  they are all mostly soccer fans.  many in sydney like league but not that it would make a huge difference in the world cup.

lebanon is a different story.  most are in sydney and league is their favourite sport.

Edited by aj1908

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I like about what the organisers are doing (among many things) is that they are building momentum. Each step of the process, like the announcement of the stadia and the draw, has been an event in its own right and in between they are backing this up with high quality and innovative social media updates. 

If this is anything to go by, I would say that the interest in the competition will absolutely stay.

It‚Äôs the none rl fans that we can catch right now. Hope you are right and they do the same quality ‚Äúlaunch‚ÄĚ when they announce which matches are at which grounds and the tickets etc as that can grab them again. Had quite a few none League fans asking when Sheffield was announced, more now so its building nicely. (Also make it simple to buy as I really don‚Äôt want to be having to get that many tickets for people!)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

most australian greeks are in melbourne so wont get much of a help from australia.  they are all mostly soccer fans.  many in sydney like league but not that it would make a huge difference in the world cup.

lebanon is a different story.  most are in sydney and league is their favourite sport.

I'll predict now that at least half of the Greek team will be Australian born heritage players. 

45 minutes ago, ckn said:

It seems the only negative folk are some rugby league fans. 

I will look forward to watching it on telly,  because it is rugby league, but if I have a negativity it is as I have dubbed it before as an annexation of the NRL, I would wager there are over 50% of those taking to the field in the comp Australian born and would choose to represent Australia if they had the opportunity (some Tongans excepted) and most probably a good number of those have never been to the country they are representing.

Now I know that I may be in the minority as far as this "globalization/smaller planet" I keep being informed I should be accepting but I don't like it in any sport, as in my other love being Cricket  and what a joke it was in the recent kick and clap WC with all those 6'-8"+ caucasian Japs running around.

International sport is no longer the best a country can put out, it is a contrived fabrication, my opinion of course.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will look forward to watching it on telly,  because it is rugby league, but if I have a negativity it is as I have dubbed it before as an annexation of the NRL, I would wager there are over 50% of those taking to the field in the comp Australian born and would choose to represent Australia if they had the opportunity (some Tongans excepted) and most probably a good number of those have never been to the country they are representing.

Now I know that I may be in the minority as far as this "globalization/smaller planet" I keep being informed I should be accepting but I don't like it in any sport, as in my other love being Cricket  and what a joke it was in the recent kick and clap WC with all those 6'-8"+ caucasian Japs running around.

International sport is no longer the best a country can put out, it is a contrived fabrication, my opinion of course.

International sport is entertainment first. For me, does the player meet the rules to get in? If so, I don't see a problem.

Everyone's entitled to their own views though on this controversial subject!

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

47 minutes ago, ckn said:

Quite a bit of stuff like this in my Twitter timeline today. Relentless positivity, and not a single negative word.

It seems the only negative folk are some rugby league fans. 

Those Maori blokes must be a nightmare to get suits to fit... 

It did make me chuckle seeing Konrad Hurrell wearing his flip flops to the Palace :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Each to their own Harry, I can understand your stance, even if mine is the same as CKN's.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

International sport is entertainment first. For me, does the player meet the rules to get in? If so, I don't see a problem.

Everyone's entitled to their own views though on this controversial subject!

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It did make me chuckle seeing Konrad Hurrell wearing his flip flops to the Palace :kolobok_biggrin:

As you both say each to their own, but those rules the player's are required to meet, is the basis of the contrived fabrication I mentioned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So I learnt a new word for them yesterday looking at Konnie's Instagram. Always known the Aussies call then thongs but it appears pacific islanders refer to this glorious footwear as.......jandals. You are all welcome ūüėä

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think of Robinson as a league player and always will. 

Also in London the evening standard sort of covered it using the Prince Harry angle but nothing in the Sports section. The good news was that some lads at work asked me about it and once I also told them about the Australia game at White Heart Lane this November they actually booked some tickets under the guise of why not...... interestingly these Southern lads never mentioned ticket prices.......

Are tickets available? I've not been able to find any nor the dates (apart from the openers announced yesterday), ko times and venues yet. Thought that was all to come......

1 minute ago, shaun mc said:

Are tickets available? I've not been able to find any nor the dates (apart from the openers announced yesterday), ko times and venues yet. Thought that was all to come......

He's talking about the Ashes test at Spurs this Nov...

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

He's talking about the Ashes test at Spurs this Nov...

Cheers...missed the 'This Nov'.....which reminds me to get those ones organised

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So I learnt a new word for them yesterday looking at Konnie's Instagram. Always known the Aussies call then thongs but it appears pacific islanders refer to this glorious footwear as.......jandals. You are all welcome ūüėä

Yeh kiwis have loads of funny terms 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Actually I believe the japs have quite a different view than international teams and you have to be a citizen. Many went over there for uni or school and have stayed, the6 didn’t go over for international rugby. 

I may be wrong but I’m sure I read it somewhere. It’s quite a nice rule the6 use and wouldn’t be averse to it being used across the board (citizenship, age going to country etc) of course there is still heritage I believe just not mercenary stuff.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'll predict now that at least half of the Greek team will be Australian born heritage players. 

Why  get worked up about it.The Jap team at the last  RU world cup had  over 50% ring ins and not a murmur about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frank said:

Why  get worked up about it.The Jap team at the last  RU world cup had  over 50% ring ins and not a murmur about it.

Who's getting worked up about it? You clearly don't know my stance on heritage players - so go take yourself for a time out, Frank. 

Also, as a point of fact - your above statement is untrue. 

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

They booked tickets for the Ashes games as I told them they didnt have to wait for the WC to watch England.

The best thing about the World Cup is that Prince Harry will be pushing his involvemement to emphasise that he is still part of the British establishment and has a commitment to the Commonwealth .

And the world's press will be goggle eyed to catch up with his movements and comments before, during and after the tournament.

It's an ill wind ...

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Infact there is one key member of their squad from Melbourne, plays for Sunbury Tigers, learnt the game at a Melbourne Catholic College.

https://neoskosmos.com/en/119600/aussie-heritage-players-team-up-with-greek-rugby-locals-for-world-cup-qualifying-campaign/

Couldn’t see any of this due to work. I’ve noticed several headlines though, much more than I remember for equivalent occasions in the past. 

Can’t knock the ambition of this tournament, that’s for sure. Good work 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aj1908 said:

its clear there is so much more demand for international rugby league in england than australia.  perhaps this will help the game in england a lot as more nations move from tier 2 to tier one.

i dont know why tonga and samoa dont tour england for example.  id have a tri nations type event with them and england.

JT is imo more of a draw than any australian player.

the nrl really needs to work on png, samoa, fiji and the cook islands.

i dont know why the players association negotiated for kangaroos players to get 20k per test match and not other nrl players.  the nrl should pay all test players the same, and provide enough monetary support for a proper coaching set up including backroom.

for a small outlay in the scheme of things these nations could mean we have close to 8 tier one nations.

The sort of event which you mentioned was played in 2006, the Federation Shield was a 4 team tournament with England, Tonga, Samoa and France.  As you can see from those crowd figures it didn't exactly catch the imagination.

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The sort of event which you mentioned was played in 2006, the Federation Shield was a 4 team tournament with England, Tonga, Samoa and France.  As you can see from those crowd figures it didn't exactly catch the imagination.

I think this evidences just how far the international game has come in the last 15 years and what the opportunity is moving forward.

A second string England defeating Tonga and Samoa in front of 2k and 6k while today England Samoa would be a big game in it's own right and England Tonga would be a blockbuster. 

As a sport, we have a huge opportunity over the next two years, we must not blow it.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RP London said:

No you are...  

Childishness aside... it's not just me that's saying this.. you're picking holes in something that doesn't need to be picked... he is a good face for it and he did a good job.. you were being negative because the first thing mentioned is "couldn't hey have found someone else" it's the typical knee jerk reaction to this sort of thing. He is an ex RL player who has been a great of the game.. 

look at all the positivity coming from this and no mention of "ex rugby union great" it's all about his league exploits from what I have seen... he could easily have said, when asked by dave woods about getting so close to lifting the world cup, "I did get ome on the other code though" but hes not an idiot so all is fine and he knows why he is there.  

Anyway I'm fed up of utter negativity around the world cup and rugby league as a whole.. not far off quitting the forum again as its depressing that anything positive is twisted every single time to either negative or your brand new "not negative" not positive loop hole ..  so I shall leave this here.

Difference of opinion ... and I will leave it there too.

someone told me today that Jason robinson never scored a single point at international level in rl but scored about 150 points in international ru, don't know how true this is

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

someone told me today that Jason robinson never scored a single point at international level in rl but scored about 150 points in international ru, don't know how true this is

It ain't true.