coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What I see happening is the media asking about the end of lockdown and how that will work.

Yes, they are indeed asking that, time after time, despite being told time after time that it is too early to be able to say, as any easing of lockdown has to be based on a whole range of factors, trends  etc.  Things have come to something when the WHO say on TV that the UK is doing a great job but our media are hunting high and low to find bad news stories.

All reporters such as Kuenssberg are after is a statement that can be used later to trip up the govt. ( Not ALL as bad as her - never thought I'd see the day when I'd say Victoria Derbyshire was shining example of neutrality and independence) The evidence is there for all to see. The whole media tone is one of destructive negativity: a minister announces an intention, an objective, a target and the  media then present it as a promise or a commitment. Grant Shapps stated on TV for all to hear that  "all Brits on cruise ships had now been repatriated" As he was saying this, the BBC ticker said " Govt says all British holidaymakers have been repatriated". Not the same thing at all. Next up, we'll see a reporter saying, "Minister,  yesterday you promised....."  The tone of BBC News is to paint the situation badly: eg PPE. To judge by their reporters, no one has any PPE.  I spoke yesterday to the husband of a senior District Nurse in Lincolnshire, someone who does not share my politics who said that they have to change their PPE after each visit, "full" PPE" and there is absolutely no shortage.  

But that is how it is being spun to discredit any awkward questions

Well, yes, they do ask some searching questions: "Minister, will you apologise to the front line, nurses, doctors, NHS, anybody, everybody yada yada yada..for something or other...."  then follow up on the news or in print "Minister refuses to apologise...."  This is just wasting a valuable time. They would be much better off asking "why was our lockdown not as severe and not as rigorously enforced as those in France, Italy, Spain...."  or "What can we learn from the new lockdown in a Chinse city of 10 million people  to prevent the spread of coronavirus following a surge in cases." 

I've asked around my mates around the country, and not all of them by far share my political views. However, apart from one guy , all of them are fed up with the media's constant denigration of the UKs performance.

We do need an adult conversation about all this,. Pity there are not that many adults in the media. 

The media aren't giving the impression that there is no PPE at all. They regularly report that PPE has been delivered, and they were even quoting last week how many days left of each item etc. Certainly not giving any impression that there is no PPE. They are saying there are shortages, which the government has confirmed is true. 

But, tbh, none of that relates to my post. The media are not great overall, but it seems odd to me that they are the talking point here. My point was challenging the point that the media are presenting the view that everyone wants lockdown to end. No evidence has been presented to back up that allegation. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I've said before but the media over the last couple of weeks, with regards lockdown, does not reflect public opinion. There seems to be other agendas at play.  I know barely anyone that wants the lockdown to end and any poll I have seen supports that view too.

Quite enjoying the ‘lockdown’ to be honest.  Spending quality time at home with the family. The pace of life is significantly better and simpler. 

The exercise  v no sunbathing on a beach rule doesn't count in St Leonard's. Just been for my daily walk, and there were about 30 people sunbathing. I dont count the weekly sea bathing club because they are in the sea whatever the temperature. Plod are not policing Hastings & St. Leonard's  because they are all in Brighton.

13 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Quite enjoying the ‘lockdown’ to be honest.  Spending quality time at home with the family. The pace of life is significantly better and simpler. 

Exactly the same here. I posted on the fitness thread the other day about the positive effect that it has had and completely agree with what you say.

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The exercise  v no sunbathing on a beach rule doesn't count in St Leonard's. Just been for my daily walk, and there were about 30 people sunbathing. I dont count the weekly sea bathing club because they are in the sea whatever the temperature. Plod are not policing Hastings & St. Leonard's  because they are all in Brighton.

It didn't seem so busy when I was on the prom (heading towards Pelham) yesterday but it's always been notable that at the St Leonards end where the beach isn't visible from the road that people hang round there. Not in huge numbers but some.

The police are around. They were busy pointing at people in Alexanrda Park last week and I see from groups on Facebook that they have been stopping people who are driving on the roads outside Hastings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It didn't seem so busy when I was on the prom (heading towards Pelham) yesterday but it's always been notable that at the St Leonards end where the beach isn't visible from the road that people hang round there. Not in huge numbers but some.

The police are around. They were busy pointing at people in Alexanrda Park last week and I see from groups on Facebook that they have been stopping people who are driving on the roads outside Hastings.

One aspect of pubs being closed is that open areas are artificially busier.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Latest breakdown of England's hospital figures show a more even spread around the country but Yorkshire appears to be rising (whereas at last in the North West the figures appear to be dropping).  However, caveat of this being a Sunday needs to be borne in mind (even so, it's the lowest number recorded in a month or thereabouts, even for a Sunday):

Deaths in English hospitals increase by 336 - the lowest rise in April

NHS England has announced that 336 people have died from coronavirus, taking England’s total to 18,420.

This is the lowest daily rise announced by the NHS England since the end of March. Lower figures tend to be announced on Sundays when there are fewer staff to verify the numbers.

The victims were aged between 28 and 100 years old. Only 22 of the victims had no known underlying health condition.

At the start of the outbreak, deaths were concentrated in London. Now the deaths are more evenly spread across England. The NHS gave this breakdown:

• East of England 49
  • London 64
  • Midlands 57
  • North East & Yorkshire 66
  • North West 46
  • South East 43
  • South West 11

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think a positive of this is lots of people/companies will realise they can do most of their work from home. That plus despite some moaning lots of people are actually enjoying the slower pace of life and extra free time  

5 hours ago, Saintslass said:

That is how scary this virus is IMO.  Imagine if there had been no lock down.  

Fantastic though, how this virus has totally eradicated cancer, heart disease and virtually all other fatal conditions.

Gullible doesn't even begin to cover it.

Buffoonery Central.

Live on TV now. BBC reporter wastes a question by pushing for schools to open now. 

Channel,4 reporter demands transparency on SAGE. panel points out that minutes are in the public domain.

ITV reporter demands that like Scotland has,  Boris sets out  end of lockdown strategy.  I listened to Nicola Sturgeon this lunchtime and her approach is EXACTLY word for word the same as the Govts.

Guardian reporter asks if panic buying, shortages and price increases are the new normal. The correct reply should have been, "The new normal is media misrepresentation. Now off and stop wasting our time."

32 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Fantastic though, how this virus has totally eradicated cancer, heart disease and virtually all other fatal conditions.

Gullible doesn't even begin to cover it.

Life can be tough when you are confused and feel that people are lying to you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Life can be tough when you are confused and feel that people are lying to you.

Sorry to burst your little bubble Bob, but sadly you ARE all being lied to. 

(I was speaking to an acquaintance in the cadaver trade on Friday).

I'm sure it will all become public knowledge once the current censorship and suppression measures have become a thing of the past.

Joseph Goebbels would have been proud.

2 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Sorry to burst your little bubble Bob, but sadly you ARE all being lied to. 

(I was speaking to an acquaintance in the cadaver trade on Friday).

I'm sure it will all become public knowledge once the current censorship and suppression measures have become a thing of the past.

Joseph Goebbels would have been proud.

So if it’s all a hoax what exactly does virtually every government in the world gain by spending billions and trillions dealing with it. 

47 minutes ago, BryanC said:

mXTVqHk.jpg

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

So if it’s all a hoax what exactly does virtually every government in the world gain by spending billions and trillions dealing with it. 

No, it's not a hoax. When did I say it was a hoax?

The "statistics" (and I use that word as loosely as it's possible to use it) are being engineered to show the "correct" outcome.

1 minute ago, BryanC said:

The "statistics" (and I use that word as loosely as it's possible to use it) are being engineered to show the "correct" outcome.

Again for what purpose that would justify what it’s costing. 

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Channel,4 reporter demands transparency on SAGE. panel points out that minutes are in the public domain.

They are not, and they won't be for a while yet.  The current policy is to publish them after the epidemic.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, BryanC said:

So there are no more deaths than usual?

1 minute ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

We can agree then that currently the govt are significantly under reporting the total number of deaths.

I think he is saying the opposite.  That other 'normal' deaths are being counted as covid to bump up the numbers to make it look worse that it is.

Archived