I had some intruders in my garden last week when I was out. They left the garden gate open and some pop bottles and a coffee cup in my empty dustbin. No damage or sign of attempted burglary. Mind you, I have a visible handle-clamp on my patio doors.

Maybe they were after my cache of toilet rolls and tissues.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

As well as observing social distancing don't forget to stop touching your face, otherwise.....

90617012_2692316367646572_3137837324738494464_o.jpg

And stop touching your computer an phone.

Where were you last Thursday?

Because sport has been cancelled in Europe, Sky have a lot of time to fill, but glancing through the schedules, there doesn't seem to be much Rugby League, despite Sky's back catalogue.

Where were you last Thursday?

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

Sister company just been told they are all dropping to 4 day weeks (and 4 days a week pay) plus the new people in probation are being ended with immediate effect and the accountant who is self employed is having his hours cut by 50%

just been told the same - go home work remote just get paid for 4 days a week and lets revisit in a month or 2's time

So a shiny 20% paycut but better than no job (and a bit less than that taking into account tax)

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Because sport has been cancelled in Europe, Sky have a lot of time to fill, but glancing through the schedules, there doesn't seem to be much Rugby League, despite Sky's back catalogue.

I think one day next weekend has a full day. Including the first SL game being shown as live in the evening 

And yet I have just listened to a virologist on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 programme telling people to get themselves out for a walk.Go somewhere quiet and make sure you stay 2 metres away from any other people.I would love him to find somewhere quiet in the U.K. to walk and to walk 2 metres away from me telling everybody who has turned up at this quiet place to keep away from me.That should work should it not, make sure people stay 2 metres away from me instead of me staying 2 metres away from anybody else.

Just now, fairfolly said:

And yet I have just listened to a virologist on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 programme telling people to get themselves out for a walk.Go somewhere quiet and make sure you stay 2 metres away from any other people.I would love him to find somewhere quiet in the U.K. to walk and to walk 2 metres away from me telling everybody who has turned up at this quiet place to keep away from me.That should work should it not, make sure people stay 2 metres away from me instead of me staying 2 metres away from anybody else.

It was a doddle to stay 2m away from everyone on the Hastings seafront earlier. Even easier taking the dog for a walk around the block. Didn't touch anything (other than the dog lead) at any time.

Had it not been a doddle to do I'd have come back at a time when it was.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

Generally, fresh air and sunlight are typically good for teckling viruses. It is not known why, though many theories go around.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It was a doddle to stay 2m away from everyone on the Hastings seafront earlier. Even easier taking the dog for a walk around the block. Didn't touch anything (other than the dog lead) at any time.

Had it not been a doddle to do I'd have come back at a time when it was.

Same here, I went for a lovely walk on the beach yesterday with the family which allowed the kids to burn off a bit of energy. A big wide beach with plenty of space between people. As always a bit of common sense is required and if the location you go to is packed and full of cars then it is better to keep driving and go somewhere else.

• Like 1

Gingerjohn,

I guess you was not out yesterday, and Bob,fresh air and sunlight may be good for tackling viruses. That is not the argument,everybody is supposed to stay 2 metres away from other people. What if other people do not want to stay 2 metres away from you. What are you going to do? spend all your leisurely walk pushing people away from you.

Having been on Universal Credit for a while until a couple of years ago, working from home is oddly familiar. Only now I'm actually doing useful work instead of looking for it.

My company has spent the last year or so migrating everything to a cloud-based system, so it is as if we prepared for this crisis in advance. We're having video meetings/chat (work and social) on Microsoft Teams, so I still see and talk to people.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

I guess you was not out yesterday

Correct. I saw how bad it was on Saturday and so stayed in yesterday.

If people are coming hurling at me there's not much I can do. But I'm trying to avoid going out particularly often (only for exercise, dog-walking and essential shopping) and I'm trying to make sure that where I go is as quiet as possible.

It's not perfect but it's about as risk free as I can manage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Damien,

A friend of mine from Liverpool rang me last night to see how we were getting on. He said him and his wife were fine and went for a walk yesterday afternoon on Formby beach. He said the place was absolutely packed as if half of Liverpool had decided to find a quiet place.I asked him how he managed to stay 2 metres away from other people,he said you was lucky to be able to keep 1 foot away never mind 2 metres. He did however say everybody was in good spirits with no sign of any trouble. I wonder if it would have stayed that way if somebody had decided they did not anybody so close to them and pushed people away. A perfect reason why there should be a complete lockdown. You may be sensible but there is a hell of a lot that are not.

• Like 1

I walked through Leeds city centre to get to St James Hospital this morning, much more sensible than taking the bus I thought. I have to say I had no trouble at all from staying two meters away from everyone as there was hardly anyone about. They must all have been in the parks and beaches instead.

Edited by fevtom
31 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Gingerjohn,

I guess you was not out yesterday, and Bob,fresh air and sunlight may be good for tackling viruses. That is not the argument,everybody is supposed to stay 2 metres away from other people. What if other people do not want to stay 2 metres away from you. What are you going to do? spend all your leisurely walk pushing people away from you.

My experience is that once legal restrictions come in, people take the whole thing more seriously. Until then, it is impossible for many people to be responsible. And others just won’t be. 

• Like 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Fevtom, I s that because most of the stores have decided to take matters into their own hands and closed up,or has that not taken effect yet.Here in Spain Fev. I live with lots of open space in front of me a large playing area at the bottom of my road with a basketball court and lots of room for the kids to play football,skate or ride their boards etc. Since lockdown was applied here 9 days ago I have notseen one single child or teenager on either the open spaces or the playing area. In actual fact the only odd person you do see is the few dog walkers breaking the law by doing what they want. as yet nobody has been caught and fined around here yet but wait until they do and get their 600 euro fine and that will be nobody on the streets.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Fevtom, I s that because most of the stores have decided to take matters into their own hands and closed up,or has that not taken effect yet.Here in Spain Fev. I live with lots of open space in front of me a large playing area at the bottom of my road with a basketball court and lots of room for the kids to play football,skate or ride their boards etc. Since lockdown was applied here 9 days ago I have notseen one single child or teenager on either the open spaces or the playing area. In actual fact the only odd person you do see is the few dog walkers breaking the law by doing what they want. as yet nobody has been caught and fined around here yet but wait until they do and get their 600 euro fine and that will be nobody on the streets.

Some are closing by their own decision now. I believe the biggest clothes shops such as Primark and H&M decided to close even though they aren't required to yet. Restaurants that were still being allowed to remain open for take away such as McDonalds and many coffee shops are now closing through their own choice too.

It does seem like some businesses are in front of the government here. Even from the start when the government announced sports events would still go ahead it was only a few hours later the Premier League announced their postponements. Some school were already being forced to shut through lack of staff before the government told them to close.

From what I've seen we don't seem to be social distancing as much as other European countries. It's interesting what you say about the kids in Spain. There's a park near me and it was busier than ever with kids over the weekend and some of our national parks saw record levels of visitors.

Edited by fevtom
1 hour ago, Damien said:

Same here, I went for a lovely walk on the beach yesterday with the family which allowed the kids to burn off a bit of energy. A big wide beach with plenty of space between people. As always a bit of common sense is required and if the location you go to is packed and full of cars then it is better to keep driving and go somewhere else.

The flaw with a number of people

• Like 1