Sign in to follow this  
Themusician_2

Why are Salford’s attendances always so poor?

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I don’t get where this thread has come from, if I’m honest. 

Salford played Huddersfield on Friday night. It happened to be Valentines Day, the game was televised for Sky Sports and Storm Dennis was starting to take full swing. The crowd was 3,350. 

Rewind six months ago, almost to the day and Salford hosted Huddersfield at the AJ Bell. It was a 3pm kick-off on a Sunday, the weather was good and Salford were on a good run. They attendance was 2,750. 

Salford have shown a 22% increase on last year’s game against the same opposition. Rather than slag them off because they might not have a five figure crowd, let’s congratulate them as a club for such an increase in such a short time and long may it continue for them. 

I'll continue to monitor the as the season goes on. Some good positives there though.

7 hours ago, Celt said:

see my post above.  Stuff like this just sounds like excuses i'm afraid.  The union people get a lot more than 2.5k FFS.

I've also been monitoring the Sale Sharks attendances they are better than Salfords but the real question is why? On the field Salford are clearly delivering the superior product.

53 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

At the willows they were averaging 5k or so 

Maybe their crowds have risen from lows but they have been falling for ages 

Now without koucash support they will fall back down the table after one excellent year off Jackson Hastings back 

It's why super league is stagnant

Clubs like wakey hull kr or Salford have one breakout year then sink back to mediocrity.

willows definitely wasn't averaging 5.5k, maybe in the last season because of the very reason that it was their last season there. 

Koukash leaving has actually increased crowds quite a lot, he alienated the vast majority of the fans with the constant musings of wanting to relocate the team to Manchester, looking to take gems to be played at the ground next to the Etihad, breaking the rules and just basically constantly moaning about the fans. Scrapping the Academy was probably the last straw for many!

As for transport to the AJ Bell, i would hardly say that its a pain to get to, parking at the stadium is available, parking at Barton airport is available and a 5 minute walk to the stadium. parking is available at the Ski slope, places to grab somethign to eat there and then its a 10 min walk to the stadium.

The crowds at Salford have always been on the low side but witht he guys who are currently in charge of the club and the engagement with the community they are slowly increasing.  

I do hate that phrase minority sport, I've had football fans use that as an insult when they've been arguing with me about rugby league v football (you get that debate quite a lot in hull). I do know at least that people on the board here are using it in its accurate sense simply to mean our sport is small compared to others but yeah, as I say I've heard that phrase used so much as a put down. 

14 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Is it stadium location? Is it lack of game day experience? Is it unfriendly kick off times for family’s? Or is RL just a minority sport in the greater Manchester area?

Wigan is in Greater Manchester

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Shouldn't really compare Salford and Sale attendances when Sale are effectively a regional team for the North West (so should get bigger attendances) but having been to watch both I always get the impression that there are more away fans at Sale games than Salford, which, seeing as the nearest club is approximately 100 miles away (Leicester or Wasps or Worcester) compared to 12 miles for Warrington is a concern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Fisher said:

Shouldn't really compare Salford and Sale attendances when Sale are effectively a regional team for the North West (so should get bigger attendances) but having been to watch both I always get the impression that there are more away fans at Sale games than Salford, which, seeing as the nearest club is approximately 100 miles away (Leicester or Wasps or Worcester) compared to 12 miles for Warrington is a concern.

Good point.

31 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Wigan is in Greater Manchester

Not forgetting Leigh Centurions,  Rochdale Hornets, Swinton Lions and Oldham,, in addition to the two Super League clubs.

2 home games in against Toronto and Huddersfield is a bit early to start looking at average crowd figures

Home games against Saints, Warrington and Wigan should up the overall average

The like with like comparisons at least show an increase and the storm over the week end will have put off some.

Saying that a club with 4k average crowds is not ideal for SL. There were plenty more than that at Old Traffford last October. Is anyone talking to them to see what the barriers are to attending

What are acceptable average attendances in RL anyway? . I think the thing with Salford are similar to Huddersfield.  Both clubs used to have good fan bases and used to win things ,but then we t through too long a time out of the limelight and lost a generation of fans 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

What are acceptable average attendances in RL anyway? . I think the thing with Salford are similar to Huddersfield.  Both clubs used to have good fan bases and used to win things ,but then we t through too long a time out of the limelight and lost a generation of fans 

I would say 8k minimum

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Not forgetting Leigh Centurions,  Rochdale Hornets, Swinton Lions and Oldham,, in addition to the two Super League clubs.

I'm not forgetting them, or any of the amateur clubs in GM, God forbid I ever forget Swinton Lions, maybe after dementia has kicked in.

Edited by Bleep1673

The last game at the Willows drew a near 10k attendance, and that was because it was pushed in the media, Salford have a very low social media thread, if they pushed themselves harder, they might get more awareness, even the Manchester Evening News doesn't cover their games on the website.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

I would say 8k minimum

But last year's average was only 8.5k. Does that mean half our attendances aren't acceptable?

1 hour ago, John Fisher said:

They are comparable with both drawing about 45% of their leagues average.

10 hours ago, clogdance said:

Maybe Salford should hand out free tickets like your beloved Toronto do, eh Kev ! Also, why do Toronto never bring more than 30 fans to games over here, when little clubs like Leigh (you'll like that) took nearly 400 over there in 2018. Answers on a postcard to.....Sir Kev !

Toronto played at Headingley in Round 1 the attendance was 20,000

Hull kr played at Headingley in Round 3 the attendance was 11,000

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The club got over 4,500 the week before against Toronto and are currently averaging 3,971 for the season.

Last year they averaged 3,676, the year before was a record low of 2,748.   Sure they've had some bigger years, but if you look at Salford's crowds in the SL era they have only averaged 4,206, so they are not far off where they were pre their current ground.

@clogdance see the figures above, Toronto are a big draw, although it is not their responsibility to fill stadiums along the M62 corridor.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto played at Headingley in Round 1 the attendance was 20,000

Hull kr played at Headingley in Round 3 the attendance was 11,000

Silly comparison …. as you know! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

There are many teams around the country that have lost a generation of fans. Lots of half empty football stadia around outside of the prem (many of them former big clubs)

I have 3 kids and I must admit that I am struggling to generate the same amount of enthusiasm for RL as I had when their age. Just far too much choice now and football dominates local discussions. None of their mates know what RL is so all discussion revolves around the Prem or Fifa. It is a big issue for our game

Also we need to look at pricing. I was at a loose end yesterday and thought about taking the kids to watch Widnes v London. I support Saints so this was very much a spur of the moment lets just go and watch a game somewhere. The pricing though was off putting £20 for me and about another £25 for 2 young kids. 

If we are going to get a generation back we need to look at pricing more. Season tickets are great value but to get them hooked we need to get them in first. Need an across the league push to get families back before it is too late. Kids should pretty much be free if with a paying adult. Clubs won't lose out on this that that much. If entry free parents will be much more likely to buy programme, burger, scarf etc 

I cant be the only one getting put off. Only 3k at Widnes yesterday for a top of the table clash

• Like 1

I think Super League as a whole could average over 10,000 for the first time since 2015. I was looking at the stats for the last 20 years or so and attendances have been pretty much unchanged, always between 8,000 - 10,000 but no particular pattern of rising or declining. The other code on the other hand has been rising from around the same as Super League to closer to 15,000.

It's not that complicated really and a few posters have touched on it: We've been dire for too long and rugby league is far too unfashionable in such a big metropolitan area to support a continually unsuccessful team. Big city kids don't care about rugby league.

Now we've actually brought about some success we have no money to maintain it. The one star player we had who was a big draw for younger fans and a hit on social media actually wanted to stay but we couldn't even afford a relatively modest £250k (we probably could have if we'd know we'd make the Grand Final but nobody predicted that mid season). We haven't got anyone anywhere near the same level fan engagement wise.

So the club could do all sorts with the community and transport (which it is within budget) but that isn't really going to do more than bring in a handful of extra fans. Now we have a solid set up, what we need is money and sustained success - either that or for rugby league to suddenly become the next big thing with the kids. I won't hold my breath on the latter.

4 minutes ago, LR23 said:

It's not that complicated really and a few posters have touched on it: We've been dire for too long and rugby league is far too unfashionable in such a big metropolitan area to support a continually unsuccessful team. Big city kids don't care about rugby league.

Now we've actually brought about some success we have no money to maintain it. The one star player we had who was a big draw for younger fans and a hit on social media actually wanted to stay but we couldn't even afford a relatively modest £250k (we probably could have if we'd know we'd make the Grand Final but nobody predicted that mid season). We haven't got anyone anywhere near the same level fan engagement wise.

So the club could do all sorts with the community and transport (which it is within budget) but that isn't really going to do more than bring in a handful of extra fans. Now we have a solid set up, what we need is money and sustained success - either that or for rugby league to suddenly become the next big thing with the kids. I won't hold my breath on the latter.

Maybe Salford should have signed Israel Folau - that would have boosted crowds and social media hits ! :-)

Seriously though you are right about big city kids. They have loads of choice what to do at a weekend and a RL club is not the same draw or focus of attention for them

Unfortunately most kids given a choice would rather play X box for a few hours than step onto a terrace and watch real live sport. Sad times but not sure how can reverse that trend 

2 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Maybe Salford should have signed Israel Folau - that would have boosted crowds and social media hits ! 🙂

Seriously though you are right about big city kids. They have loads of choice what to do at a weekend and a RL club is not the same draw or focus of attention for them

Unfortunately most kids given a choice would rather play X box for a few hours than step onto a terrace and watch real live sport. Sad times but not sure how can reverse that trend 

It's definately not an issue that's exclusive to Salford but we've felt it more than most because we've been rubbish for so long so I'm not making any excuses there. That also makes reversing the trend much harder - it probably needs the sport to capture the imagination of the 'youth' as a whole. I think they have done better at that this season - marketing and use of social media is much improved but there is a long way to go. We've got a sport that is perfect for short videos/GIFs but we've not tapped into other areas like football, NBA and NFL have. Football has it's celebrities, NBA has it's streetwear, NFL has everything and all three have a massive social media presence. We don't have many players who break out of the stereotypical rugby league player mould which is why SBW was a bit of a big deal but he's no spring chicken and can't do it alone. I've gone a bit off topic here!

12 hours ago, clogdance said:

Maybe Salford should hand out free tickets like your beloved Toronto do, eh Kev ! Also, why do Toronto never bring more than 30 fans to games over here, when little clubs like Leigh (you'll like that) took nearly 400 over there in 2018. Answers on a postcard to.....Sir Kev !

??   One club sending 300 for one fixture across the Atlantic is one thing, but one club sending 300 across the Atlantic 11+ times is surely another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1