Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Top referee stood down by RFL following suspension

Leading referee Ben Thaler has been suspended by the RFL and is currently subject to an internal investigation. It’s understood Rhe RFL received a complaint...

View the full article

He's the best ref in the game and is still relatively young. We'll see what comes out but hopefully this won't see us lose him to the game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

A surprising one. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the investigation is and most importantly, if any wrong doing is proven.

Thaler may well be absent for a few weeks yet.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

He's the best ref in the game and is still relatively young. We'll see what comes out but hopefully this won't see us lose him to the game.

I agree.

Not that I really need to with this forum, but, just in case, please make sure you're not posting "my granny's hairdresser's boyfriend's gardener's auntie overheard this on a noisy bus despite her hearing aid playing up" type rumours.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I found this part interesting though:

It’s believed the alleged incident took place before the opening round of the season, but the RFL made the decision to suspend him after he had taken charge of that game.

Has he reffed since round 1? How come it took so long to announce I wonder? It's clearly an off-field incident then if it was before the season.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It's actually quite refreshing to see the number of comments on Twitter saying "Don't jump to conclusions" and refraining from judgement until the details are out.

The only "accusations" are clearly ones taking the mick that you'd hope even the most gullible of morons wouldn't take seriously!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is it because Leeds lost in the game he reffed?...

😉

Seriously though, hope it's nothing serious to get him out the game. We need all the refs we can get.

Good heavens we didnt celebrate that long after our 8th GF win 🤣

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

11 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It’s believed the alleged incident took place before the opening round of the season, but the RFL made the decision to suspend him after he had taken charge of that game.

Has he reffed since round 1? How come it took so long to announce I wonder? It's clearly an off-field incident then if it was before the season.

The incident may of took place before the first game but it doesn’t say when the RFL found out about it. 

Interesting to read of Thaler's shock at his suspension. It makes you wonder, if he is cleared to return to refereeing, whether he would do.

We have a huge lack of referees as it is, the prime example being Liam Moore, who officiated in the Super League despite only being in his mid 20's.

We could do without losing more.

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: My Favourite Game - LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/04/my-favourite-game.html

Yet again, with every such incident (Ken Dodd, Matthew Kelly, Bill Roache, etc) a story is published in the media before any guilt is proven. Yet if the person subjected to the story is eventually found not guilty (as per the three mentioned earlier) then comments will still be made about them.

ie: If Ben Thaler is found not guilty then do you honestly think not one spectator will shout anything at him about it ?

9 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yet again, with every such incident (Ken Dodd, Matthew Kelly, Bill Roache, etc) a story is published in the media before any guilt is proven. Yet if the person subjected to the story is eventually found not guilty (as per the three mentioned earlier) then comments will still be made about them.

ie: If Ben Thaler is found not guilty then do you honestly think not one spectator will shout anything at him about it ?

They haven't said what he's allegedly done yet, just that he's been suspended.

I suppose they could have said, "Taken a leave of absence" until the facts come out. People will ask questions though when in a prominent position. It's a difficult one.

The media can be awful at times though. I wouldn't say in this case they are, there just reporting what's been said by the RFL.

That wording from RFL sounds like the sort of thing said when there’s alleged betting issues. 

On 17/02/2020 at 09:53, Wellsy4HullFC said:

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

There's lots of things I'd like to know about this. He's regarded as the best ref in the game by many. It is of public interest..... and I'm a nosey bug ger.

I'd love to know the source of the complaint(s)?

We may not get to know anything. That's how we may have to leave it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They haven't said what he's allegedly done yet, just that he's been suspended.

I suppose they could have said, "Taken a leave of absence" until the facts come out. People will ask questions though when in a prominent position. It's a difficult one.

The media can be awful at times though. I wouldn't say in this case they are, there just reporting what's been said by the RFL.

They still didn't have to report it ... and nor should the RFL have told them either.

What might the reaction be of the Hull fans if it was in the media that a Hull KR player had been suspended by the club but was then ultimately found not guilty ... would they never refer to it when he plays against them ?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

There's lots of things I'd like to know about this. He's regarded as the best ref in the game by many. It is of public interest..... and I'm a nosey bug ger.

I'd love to know the source of the complaint(s)?

We may not get to know anything. That's how we may have to leave it.

That's another problem with cases like this ... the accuser is often never known. Yet if the allegation is found to be untrue then nothing is often done against that accuser for making such a false allegation.

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That's another problem with cases like this ... the accuser is often never known. Yet if the allegation is found to be untrue then nothing is often done against that accuser for making such a false allegation.

Almost everything about this is NOT in the public domain.

Some unvalidated crapola is being spread across social media etc without a shread of substance to underpin the claims.

Our game is so small. Most of us know folk within the game and its hard to keep the skeletons hidden. Some folks know the craic. Most don't.

Speculation is pointless. It'll all come out in t'wesh!😊

• Like 1