Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Not buying that level of doom and gloom.

I think he may be right when we says there could be cutbacks in terms of sponsorship and TV money but that is more likely to result in commensurate cutting of cloth, rather than destruction or part-time etc.

Super League’s low salary cap and indebtedness may actually put it in stronger position relative to other sports when life returns to normal. And when it does many grounds will be rammed, as they were after the war. 

2 hours ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

No according to many people on this forum, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the NRL’s business model. All is fine and dandy. They have supposedly been operating within their means and haven’t been operating at breakeven. Give me a break. This article just reinforces what I’ve been saying all this time but it’s hard to get your point across when you’re shouted down by people who live in lala land. 

Also now that the AFL have suspended the season, it won’t be long until the NRL is suspended too. 

All this time? You've only made 24 posts...... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, meast said:

To my knowledge there has been a total lockdown and martial law introduced in Wuhan, here, people are, or were still going about their business, going to pubs, restaurants etc regardless of official guidance and advice.

I fear because of the selfishness of a number of British people, this thing will last a lot longer than people may envisage.

Like I alluded to earlier, Brits have to adopt their own hygiene practice meticulously.  Just accept it and get into the habit. Don’t question it.

Waiting for british politicians to come up with an answer is unacceptable. They are, on the whole, incompetent. They prove it time and again.

We are on total lockdown here tonight between 1700 and 0400 hours.  Fail to do it and it’s 3 years in jail.  

Unless we all bite the bullet and isolate it’ll just keep spreading.  Sure, it will not affect everyone the same way or with the same tenacity, but why take a chance. 

21 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

They dont need to.

Pass on your knowledge to the Chief Medical Officer.

How the Virus works? You expect me to know more than the NHS. 

How coronavirus is spread

Because it's a new illness, we do not know exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.

Well said. Anyone quoting a strong statement is wrong. For context, we have very limited idea of flu transmission. We certainly will not have any understanding of this.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Lisa Nandy piece on RL in the New Statesman. 
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/03/if-government-committed-our-towns-it-will-save-rugby-league

As an aside, Nandy seems exactly the sort of person Labour needs to win back its heartland 

Not too sure. Lisa also thinks that a man who says he`s a woman should be allowed, even by force of law, to play in and against women`s sports teams.

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not too sure. Lisa also thinks that a man who says he`s a woman should be allowed, even by force of law, to play in and against women`s sports teams.

And that's the sort of non-issue upon which you decide where to place your vote? The mind boggles.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

And that's the sort of non-issue upon which you decide where to place your vote? The mind boggles.

The minds of many feminist women are currently boggling quite a lot on this non-issue, which is a very real one for them.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Odd that would bother you so much. Are trans people a big part of your life?

John Bercow could lock this thread if it continues like this, however, for the record, the answer to the question is no. What bothers me on this is safety and fairness.

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

What bothers me on this is safety and fairness.

Sure it does, sure it does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

That wasnt what I thought was wierd. 

Okay, I admit it. I was once cruelly deceived by a member of the trans community. We appeared on a Jerry Springer show with the title "Honey, Guess what?". The whole thing caused a lot of anger and bitterness. I don`t want to see that kind of aggro in Rugby League.

18 hours ago, RMBJ said:

"So where has all the money gone?

Executive salaries spiralled out of control under previous NRL chief executive Dave Smith. Shane Richardson, Suzanne Young, Lewis Pullen, Michael Brown and Sandy Olsen were hired on big money, yet made little impression during their time at Rugby League Central.

Several commercial decisions also remain baffling. Like appointing Sportsbet as the NRL’s official wagering partner without going through a proper tender process. A rival operator, that never got the opportunity to pitch for the deal, claims his firm was willing to pay up to $40 million more to secure the rights.

All this has come at a time when rugby league is a difficult sell to corporate Australia. The players – on an average income of more than $300,000 – dazzle with their skill on the field, yet are stereotyped for acts of stupidity off it. The NRL claimed it lost more than $10 million of sponsorship revenue due to off-field incidents during the "summer of hell" that was the 2019 pre-season. Further, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg claimed "hundreds of millions of dollars" of broadcast revenue would be lost if not for the introduction of the no-fault stand-down rule.

Some players still don't get it. The Bulldogs Port Macquarie scandal cost the club a $2 million major sponsorship deal with family restaurant chain Rashays."

Most of the money went to the clubs and to a lesser extent players, whom demanded more and more of the money, and did everything in their power to get it even when they knew that the NRL couldn't afford it.

Now many of those same club officials and media personalities that were bagging the ARLC and NRL for investments like the future fund and demanded that money be spent on them, are the same people who are bagging the NRL for having "wasted" it all.

Frankly, COVID-19 is quickly turning into the disaster that the NRL had to have. At least a couple clubs are going to die, and it's going to hurt in the short term, but it's going to be a massive reality check for a lot of people, and it'll cut a lot of the dead weight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

All this time? You've only made 24 posts...... 

I think that he is inadvertently including in his calculation his time on RLFans, from where, it has been alleged, he was recently banned for life.

He may be getting a bit confused in his senior years. I do hope that his lovely wife, who is more on the ball, can help him in his businesses during these very difficult times.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Depending how long this lasts a whole load of sports may be forced to start again

if clubs fold or end up in severe financial crisis could see a situation where we leave insolvent businesses behind and have brand new franchises an auction for player contracts and a new competition format

could easily see Union and cricket going the same way

At this time shouldn't we be more concerned about getting as many people through this alive.Sports clubs can be restarted, people can't. I love the game just as much as any rugby league fan but this situation is becoming worrying to say the least. With people not adhereing to government advice with social distancing. Some individuals in society need to get a grip. But that's just my take on it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

At this time shouldn't we be more concerned about getting as many people through this alive.Sports clubs can be restarted, people can't. I love the game just as much as any rugby league fan but this situation is becoming worrying to say the least. With people not adhereing to government advice with social distancing. Some individuals in society need to get a grip. But that's just my take on it. 

This. The talk of clubs survival, what’s on TV, what structure we should have, how we end the season etc is futile. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I get your point but this is a rugby league forum and a thread specifically focussing on the impact of the virus on rugby league. 

43 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

This. The talk of clubs survival, what’s on TV, what structure we should have, how we end the season etc is futile. 

So we all either become depressed or bored then?

Of course our mutual sporting interests aren't the most important thing, but helps keep things interesting and our minds off the current situation.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

So we all either become depressed or bored then?

Of course our mutual sporting interests aren't the most important thing, but helps keep things interesting and our minds off the current situation.

There’s a lot more things that can be talked about regarding Rugby League (as proven by Rugby League clips, for example) than depressing yourself regarding the future of the game. 

2 hours ago, LR23 said:

I get your point but this is a rugby league forum and a thread specifically focussing on the impact of the virus on rugby league. 

Rugby league isn't the be all and end all, life is. Without life there's nothing, not even rugby league. There's a few people that agree with me as there's a few likes on my post. 

Edited by moorside roughyed
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Rugby league isn't the be all and end all, life is. Without life there's nothing, not even rugby league. There's a few people that agree with me as there's a few likes on my post. 

Congratulations. I didn’t disagree with you in principle but if you want to focus on Coronavirus impact on society and life in general and avoid discussing rugby league maybe don’t come on a thread titled ‘Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League’.

As someone else mentioned, there are some people looking to rugby league and these boards as a diversion from the awful current state of the world. Nothing wrong with that in my view.

• Like 5