We Are Irrelevant !

OMEGA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it is that ridiculous. How many times have you listened to a TV-news sports correspondent say "and that's all the sport this weekend", and thought: no, no it isn't, there have been important, well-attended rugby league games that you've completely ignored? 

Rugby league isn't the only sport that doesn't get a lot of mainstream media attention. I am a massive motorsport fan and cannot remember the last time the BBC even mentioned the BTCC despite the fact every race weekend is attended by 10s of thousands of people. Same with the British Superbike Championship. Mainstream media thinks that motorsport is literally just formula one and formula e. Rugby league isn't singled out at all. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Rugby league isn't the only sport that doesn't get a lot of mainstream media attention. I am a massive motorsport fan and cannot remember the last time the BBC even mentioned the BTCC despite the fact every race weekend is attended by 10s of thousands of people. Same with the British Superbike Championship. Mainstream media thinks that motorsport is literally just formula one and formula e. Rugby league isn't singled out at all. 

It’s basically just football (by far), plus Cricket and international Union - they couldn’t care less about anything else. 

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Other than Football, which they have to cover since it is so big, a lot of BBC sports journalists' worldview consists of a very narrow spectrum. Hence the usual panicky revision done every 4 years by many hacks when the Olympics comes around.

The person reading the BBC sports news seems to have a degree of control over what gets covered, which is why you can see certain sports/events getting regular mentions 'til that presenter's shift is finished, followed by a noticeable shift in focus when the next person takes over.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Athletics seems to get a lot of coverage as well for some reason. 

The BBC covers a lot of live Athletics. Okay, when I say "live", I mean the presenters yakking on for ages while viewers squint over their shoulders for a glimpse of the actual action on track & field.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

35 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Athletics seems to get a lot of coverage as well for some reason. 

True, and I can’t think of a single person I know that has any interest in it, outside of the Olympics when some people suddenly seem get interested in all sports. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

True, and I can’t think of a single person I know that has any interest in it, outside of the Olympics when some people suddenly seem get interested in all sports. 

I am a big fan of Track & Field, which is why the Beeb's presenting team and their incessant wittering annoys me.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I am a big fan of Track & Field, which is why the Beeb's presenting team and their incessant wittering annoys me.

Pretty much everything on the BBC annoys me, especially their news coverage, I’d love to see the licence scrapped. 

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

But once again , that is the International aspect we don't have ?

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Pretty much everything on the BBC annoys me, especially their news coverage, I’d love to see the licence scrapped. 

You, and Boris Johnson, and Jeremy Corbyn, and the seriously weird, vengeful, corrupt, treacherous and hostile people backing both of them. None of whom I'd trust with honest news reporting even 1% as much as I would the Beeb.

If there is one sporting journalism positive I should like to see come out of the coronavirus experience, it is that journalists, using both the written and spoken word, rediscover the difference between the verbs 'postpone' and 'cancel'!

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've known people who claim they love sports when the Olympics is going on and then never ever mention sport again in the 4 years between games. I remember someone once claiming they are a massive fencing fan but couldn't tell you the first thing about it. They'd just watched about 5 minutes that morning I think! 

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You, and Boris Johnson, and Jeremy Corbyn, and the seriously weird, vengeful, corrupt, treacherous and hostile people backing both of them. None of whom I'd trust with honest news reporting even 1% as much as I would the Beeb.

Weirdly I don’t go to Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn for my news either. 

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hello... I’m a huge league fan... for 50 years plus... but athletics is a close second... I love the sport 

now at least you do know someone! 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Weirdly I don’t go to Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn for my news either. 

Yes, but they'd also like the BBC to be a hopelessly spavined corpse, for their paymasters to asset-strip. Either that, or a completely docile tool of the state (as long as they were in power at the time).

The BBC are hidebound, stubborn and wilfully perverse at times, but they are still a far far better conduit to truth than a UK version of The Gospel according to Fox News.

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but they'd also like the BBC to be a hopelessly spavined corpse, for their paymasters to asset-strip. Either that, or a completely docile tool of the state (as long as they were in power at the time).

The BBC are hidebound, stubborn and wilfully perverse at times, but they are still a far far better conduit to truth than a UK version of The Gospel according to Fox News.

I just want to hear the news, not somebody else’s opinion, and sadly BBC like most news programmes seems to mainly just be opinion now. 

Just now, Eddie said:

I just want to hear the news, not somebody else’s opinion, and sadly BBC like most news programmes seems to mainly just be opinion now. 

And the other available news sources are provably pure and utterly even-handed?

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, they’re all tripe, I just don’t have to pay for the others if I don’t want to. 

I suppose that, with the others, you can research their owners and find out what their vested interests are. But still, wouldn't it be nice to have a service that was, despite its many faults, not a state or or corporate puppet? And before you mention the excellent Channel 4 news, they've been politically threatened too.

And once you knuckle under to one regime, you are far easier meat for their replacement, even if their place on the political spectrum is quite different. You've already become a whore, now the only negotiation is the price.

46 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've known people who claim they love sports when the Olympics is going on and then never ever mention sport again in the 4 years between games. I remember someone once claiming they are a massive fencing fan but couldn't tell you the first thing about it. They'd just watched about 5 minutes that morning I think! 

What would you like to know about female volleyball???

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

What would you like to know about female volleyball???

Real Volleyball (a sport) or Beach Volleyball (the viewing choice of the (quite frankly) undemanding onanist)?

8 hours ago, OMEGA said:

We’ve known for a long time that the media need no invitation to ignore Rugby League, especially down south!

In years gone by I’ve seen weekends where Rugby League has drawn the largest sporting crowd in the Northern Hemisphere and yet get little more than a 5 inch column, 4 pages in from the back of the newspapers. While a Union game with empty stands, less than 5,000 spectators which is meaningless has enjoyed full page coverage including half page sized photos.

Over the last 24 to 48 hours I’ve watched SKY Sports News, The BBC and other channels talk about the suspension of F1, All Football, 6Ns, Marathons etc. I’ve seen them attempt to fill the void by reporting on Union Down Under, Russian, Turkish and South American Football and propose that to get your sporting fix you can watch Badminton.

They’ve also stated that there are no professional sporting events taking place in the U.K. other than the Cheltenham races.

If ever there was a demonstration of how little they value Rugby League and how we are an irrelevance then their reaction to the sporting landscape during this Virus crisis has exposed and demonstrated it.

They perceive RL as a small regional sport with limited appeal, as long as that's the case what else do you expect?

Archived