Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

If I’m being honest it’s not one to get the pulses racing but Ottawa have just signed their first player

 

I was worried that whoever is investing in Ottawa might get worried and maybe pull out given what’s happened to Toronto, but evidently not so this is good news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was worried that whoever is investing in Ottawa might get worried and maybe pull out given what’s happened to Toronto, but evidently not so this is good news. 

They are going hard on the French thing, it seems. Maybe there’s a grant in it somewhere (which would be a smart move)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was worried that whoever is investing in Ottawa might get worried and maybe pull out given what’s happened to Toronto, but evidently not so this is good news. 

I would say the October cut off in furloughing is going to play a big part for Ottawa as in recruitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If I’m being honest it’s not one to get the pulses racing but Ottawa have just signed their first player

 

It's a very good signing for the level they'll be playing at. Also strengthens the French influence.

  • Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

They are going hard on the French thing, it seems. Maybe there’s a grant in it somewhere (which would be a smart move)?

I would think that with Canada being a bilingual country and with Ottawa being close to the provincial border with Quebec that it is more to do creating an affinity with and attractiveness to the whole of the community of the surrounding area than any possible grant money. It seems a good way to proceed given one of their stated aims being to embed themselves and the sport in the community in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Hopefully it works in that regard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

I would think that with Canada being a bilingual country and with Ottawa being close to the provincial border with Quebec that it is more to do creating an affinity with and attractiveness to the whole of the community of the surrounding area than any possible grant money. It seems a good way to proceed given one of their stated aims being to embed themselves and the sport in the community in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Hopefully it works in that regard.

And a grant wouldn't hurt either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

And a grant wouldn't hurt either.

Certainly, all money helps, if such grant money exists I doubt they wouldn't try to access it I just think that creating affinity with the Francophone community as well as the Anglophone one is what will be behind the recruitment of a French coach and a French player in a prominent position for the team. Particularly as the owners of Ottawa are a group with experience of establishing sports teams in the area and what is required to succeed when doing so.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely an attempt to appeal to the large French speaking population just across the river and why not, a new team is going to have to reach out as far as it can to build a solid support base. There is also the likelihood that Eastern Ontario, with its proximity to Quebec, will be much more appealing to French players, and therefore meaning these players may be more interested in sticking it out for a longer term and not succumbing to homesickness, therefore helping build a more permanent base in Canada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wiganermike said:

I would think that with Canada being a bilingual country and with Ottawa being close to the provincial border with Quebec that it is more to do creating an affinity with and attractiveness to the whole of the community of the surrounding area than any possible grant money. It seems a good way to proceed given one of their stated aims being to embed themselves and the sport in the community in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Hopefully it works in that regard.

It's a bit more complicated than Canada being a bilingual country. Over vast swathes of it, only one language is spoken. The only bilingual province is New Brunswick, where I lived for a while. The whole province has something like 700,000 people, and most of those live in cities that are more or less monolingual (the exception being Moncton).

Quebec is officially French-speaking, and everywhere else is English. There are bilingual cities, Montreal is one and Ottawa (by virtue of being the seat of the federal government) is another.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilsontown said:

It's a bit more complicated than Canada being a bilingual country. Over vast swathes of it, only one language is spoken. The only bilingual province is New Brunswick, where I lived for a while. The whole province has something like 700,000 people, and most of those live in cities that are more or less monolingual (the exception being Moncton).

Quebec is officially French-speaking, and everywhere else is English. There are bilingual cities, Montreal is one and Ottawa (by virtue of being the seat of the federal government) is another.

You've oversimplified matters there.  Apart from the west part of the island of Montréal, the eastern townships and few other places here and there Québec is entirely French-speaking.  Les Promeades Gatineau is a big shopping mall just a short drive across the Ottawa River not even 10 km from Parliament Hill where you'll barely hear a word of English spoken.  I well remember how surprised I was by that even though I shouldn't have been having lived in the Moncton area before moving to Ottawa almost 30 years ago now.

To say that "everywhere else is English" is wrong.  I can still recall to this day when it dawned on me a month or two after moving to the Moncton area that a conversation in an adjacent office cubicle which I could hear was in French rather than English.  Among the Francophone colleagues with whom I worked in Ottawa was a Franco-Ontarian from a town a bit east of Ottawa whose English had a noticeable French accent; from him I learned to appreciate the amazing beers from Unibroue like la Fin du Monde and la Maudite, man they pack a punch.  Years earlier in southern Ontario I worked with another Franco-Ontarian from Oshawa (just east of Toronto) whose husband was a Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury in northern Ontario and when they met he didn't speak a word of English so they communicated in French at first.  So albeit below the radar of most anglophones in Canada, French is definitely more prevalent than is commonly thought.

That said, whether a Francophone coach and some Francophone players can get Canadian Francophones in the Ottawa-Gatineau region interested in a team playing in an English league against a bunch of teams from England remains to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

You've oversimplified matters there.  Apart from the west part of the island of Montréal, the eastern townships and few other places here and there Québec is entirely French-speaking.  Les Promeades Gatineau is a big shopping mall just a short drive across the Ottawa River not even 10 km from Parliament Hill where you'll barely hear a word of English spoken.  I well remember how surprised I was by that even though I shouldn't have been having lived in the Moncton area before moving to Ottawa almost 30 years ago now.

To say that "everywhere else is English" is wrong.  I can still recall to this day when it dawned on me a month or two after moving to the Moncton area that a conversation in an adjacent office cubicle which I could hear was in French rather than English.  Among the Francophone colleagues with whom I worked in Ottawa was a Franco-Ontarian from a town a bit east of Ottawa whose English had a noticeable French accent; from him I learned to appreciate the amazing beers from Unibroue like la Fin du Monde and la Maudite, man they pack a punch.  Years earlier in southern Ontario I worked with another Franco-Ontarian from Oshawa (just east of Toronto) whose husband was a Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury in northern Ontario and when they met he didn't speak a word of English so they communicated in French at first.  So albeit below the radar of most anglophones in Canada, French is definitely more prevalent than is commonly thought.

That said, whether a Francophone coach and some Francophone players can get Canadian Francophones in the Ottawa-Gatineau region interested in a team playing in an English league against a bunch of teams from England remains to be seen.

Look the Super League already has  Les Catalans on board.  So whether you speak French.English or Chalcatongo Mixtec dosen't really serve a purpose. The point is to make that league. How they do that is now the viewing point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You've oversimplified matters there.  Apart from the west part of the island of Montréal, the eastern townships and few other places here and there Québec is entirely French-speaking.  Les Promeades Gatineau is a big shopping mall just a short drive across the Ottawa River not even 10 km from Parliament Hill where you'll barely hear a word of English spoken.  I well remember how surprised I was by that even though I shouldn't have been having lived in the Moncton area before moving to Ottawa almost 30 years ago now.

To say that "everywhere else is English" is wrong.  I can still recall to this day when it dawned on me a month or two after moving to the Moncton area that a conversation in an adjacent office cubicle which I could hear was in French rather than English.  Among the Francophone colleagues with whom I worked in Ottawa was a Franco-Ontarian from a town a bit east of Ottawa whose English had a noticeable French accent; from him I learned to appreciate the amazing beers from Unibroue like la Fin du Monde and la Maudite, man they pack a punch.  Years earlier in southern Ontario I worked with another Franco-Ontarian from Oshawa (just east of Toronto) whose husband was a Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury in northern Ontario and when they met he didn't speak a word of English so they communicated in French at first.  So albeit below the radar of most anglophones in Canada, French is definitely more prevalent than is commonly thought.

That said, whether a Francophone coach and some Francophone players can get Canadian Francophones in the Ottawa-Gatineau region interested in a team playing in an English league against a bunch of teams from England remains to be seen.

Lived in Moncton eh?  I'm from Bathurst myself 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Definitely an attempt to appeal to the large French speaking population just across the river and why not, a new team is going to have to reach out as far as it can to build a solid support base. There is also the likelihood that Eastern Ontario, with its proximity to Quebec, will be much more appealing to French players, and therefore meaning these players may be more interested in sticking it out for a longer term and not succumbing to homesickness, therefore helping build a more permanent base in Canada.

Is there much affinity between France and French speaking Canadians (serious question)? I was surprised to hear you say that French players wouldn’t get homesick, any more or less than English players wouldn’t get homesick in English speaking areas of Canada - both of which are completely different to Northern England and SW France?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither team will happen under virus restrictions, abandon now, and plow the money into established clubs that need the emergency cash

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Neither team will happen under virus restrictions, abandon now, and plow the money into established clubs that need the emergency cash

What money? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Neither team will happen under virus restrictions, abandon now, and plow the money into established clubs that need the emergency cash

Imagine pitching that to the owners of Toronto and Ottawa...

"How about you give millions of your money to fading industrial town's rugby league teams with a less than zero chance of ever making it back and no way to grow their brand?"

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Imagine pitching that to the owners of Toronto and Ottawa...

"How about you give millions of your money to fading industrial town's rugby league teams with a less than zero chance of ever making it back and no way to grow their brand?"

Pretty much what they did to Argyle and we've seen how that turned out.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were do i grab one the TWP heritage shirts.before the brand gets too expensive

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is there much affinity between France and French speaking Canadians (serious question)? I was surprised to hear you say that French players wouldn’t get homesick, any more or less than English players wouldn’t get homesick in English speaking areas of Canada - both of which are completely different to Northern England and SW France?

1. Gotta be easier if people around you speak the same language.

2. I was also thinking that the French guys, being able to converse with locals, might be more resilient than most of the Brits who leave the UK for other shores, then run back home yearning for mushy peas!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

1. Gotta be easier if people around you speak the same language.

2. I was also thinking that the French guys, being able to converse with locals, might be more resilient than most of the Brits who leave the UK for other shores, then run back home yearning for mushy peas!

Rather than frogs legs ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Rather than frogs legs ? 

They move too fast for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

1. Gotta be easier if people around you speak the same language.

2. I was also thinking that the French guys, being able to converse with locals, might be more resilient than most of the Brits who leave the UK for other shores, then run back home yearning for mushy peas!

He's unlikely to have to move from West Yorkshire.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He's unlikely to have to move from West Yorkshire.......

Please say it’s not so, don’t we learn any lessons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oldbear said:

1. Gotta be easier if people around you speak the same language.

2. I was also thinking that the French guys, being able to converse with locals, might be more resilient than most of the Brits who leave the UK for other shores, then run back home yearning for mushy peas!

English people travel more than French people, not sure why but they do, so not sure why you think French RL players would be more resilient than English ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...