Shaun Wane and the NRL

Shaun Wane is reported to be on the very shortest part of the short list for new coach of the North Queensland Cowboys. His rival is current New Zealand Warriors interim coach Todd Payten, who has done an excellent job with his team in the past month. I hope that both can get head coach appointments at an NRL club. They both deserve it. 

I think it would be great for the British game, our coaches going down there and giving it a crack, putting the UK on the coaching map and perhaps learning new techniques that can ultimately benefit England or the Superleague should he return.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Hmmm.... Can he do both this and England? 

Yeah, definitely. There isn't enough of an international calendar to distract him, even with a world cup next year. Bennett did a decent job (initially at least) and he barely left Oz 

1 minute ago, Hughsehhh said:

I think it would be great for the British game, our coaches going down there and giving it a crack, putting the UK on the coaching map and perhaps learning new techniques that can ultimately benefit England or the Superleague should he return.

Steve McNamara seems to have come back from Australia a far better coach.

SL/RFL should be placing young British coaches within top Australian clubs for a season or so to learn new techniques.

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

SL/RFL should be placing young British coaches within top Australian clubs for a season or so to learn new techniques.

McNamara went to the NRL as a pretty inexperienced coach. Getting the Bradford job was almost certainly too soon for him, especially when that club was in crisis.

Wane coached his way up from the youth sides to the first team at Wigan, so he's a different prospect. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

McNamara went to the NRL as a pretty inexperienced coach. Getting the Bradford job was almost certainly too soon for him, especially when that club was in crisis.

Wane coached his way up from the youth sides to the first team at Wigan, so he's a different prospect. 

Yeah Wane is, I was referring more generally to younger assistant coaches - a gap year in the NRL would do them a lot of good.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Yeah Wane is, I was referring more generally to younger assistant coaches - a gap year in the NRL would do them a lot of good.

I have doubts Wane will get a job as the head coach.  I hope he does, but he will have to jump a hell of a lot of other coaches and that, imo, would be a gamble for NRL clubs.  Some of these clubs will have 7 or 8 coaches coming up the ladder and several of those with high aspirations.  Its a bit different to our Head Coach and an assistant.

I absolutely agree with your point though.  Agar went to St.George (i think) in some form of development role, but his example aside, it might be a case of our young coaches going and never returning.  

NRL clubs seem weary of English coaches, probably for the same reasons they were always a bit weary of English players, but guess the temptation is always there of finding another Mal Reilly.

He'd probably get an assistants role in a heart beat.

Hope Wane does get a shot over there. With the talent available to him i think he'd do well. He was always very good at getting ordinary players playing above and beyond. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I don’t think he’d go before the World Cup. Yeah, I know he could do both jobs but I feel like he would rather put all of his efforts towards the World Cup right now rather than juggling two jobs, one which would be on the opposite side of the world. That said, if there’s a very good opportunity at a club and he was offered it, he would be mad to turn it down. 

Jeez! and the Aussies take the mick out of Bateman and Williams accent - good luck with big Waney! 

But seriously this would be great if he went down there and was a success - my only slight concern is the team and the time he'd be given to get results. NQ Cowboys still have some great players but are without a doubt still rebuilding after the legacy of JT. 

Go for it . I hope he gets it . He has the CV ,  maybe he’s just what the Cowboys need to get them sorted . He takes no nonsense . You look at the candidates and he loses nothing alongside any of them 

Looks like Todd Payten has got the nod for the North Queensland job.

Maybe Wane will go for the Dragons coaching role, though don't think he's been linked so far.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

12 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Looks like Todd Payten has got the nod for the North Queensland job.

Maybe Wane will go for the Dragons coaching role, though don't think he's been linked so far.

The NZ Warriors are still looking for a full-time coach, and maybe Wane's no-nonsense attitude is what the club needs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/08/2020 at 21:24, Whippet13 said:

Or maybe they should come up with their own new techniques ? 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Or maybe they should come up with their own new techniques ? 

I think it’s a matter of understanding the difference in attitude and aptitude of being a professional rugby league player between the two hemispheres. 

I don’t expect him to get any head coaching role in the NRL without starting as an assistant.

With all due respect, it is difficult for NRL club bosses to take a punt on a coach that has never experienced the increased standards of training, conditioning and coaching that is expected in the NRL compared to SL.

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t expect him to get any head coaching role in the NRL without starting as an assistant.

With all due respect, it is difficult for NRL club bosses to take a punt on a coach that has never experienced the increased standards of training, conditioning and coaching that is expected in the NRL compared to SL.

Or maybe they should come up with their own new techniques and better standards of training , conditioning and coaching ?

Indeed , isn't that a funny suggestion Hela ? , That a British coach could actually coach better than an Australian ? , 

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Or maybe they should come up with their own new techniques and better standards of training , conditioning and coaching ?

Well, when that can be successfully  demonstrated at a SL club then you might see NRL clubs consider taking a punt.

Until then, right or wrong, don’t expect NRL clubs to roll the dice hoping anytime soon. 

Personally, I think Wane could handle a head coaching role in Aus and succeed, I just don’t expect he will get the chance without being an assistant first... or guiding England to the WC in 2021.

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

That's an excellent suggestion. Your ten bob a week salary will leave me with enough spare cash to fund my expansion ideas.

I genuinely doubt I'd be doing ten bobs worth of work right now ? 😂

Archived