Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Simply because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean that it isn't a factor, unless you know different. I would imagine that having two Champions League matches scheduled closely together either side of the date for the GF would mean that it would be a serious consideration.

Their exact wording was around SL availability and time needed to dress the stadium. Not to burst any high preconceptions you might have, but "biosecurity" is just a good clean and the restriction of access to specific personnel to specific areas.

Edited by Tommygilf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Their exact wording was around SL availability and time needed to dress the stadium. Not to burst any high preconceptions you might have, but "biosecurity" is just a good clean and the restriction of access to specific personnel to specific areas.

Exactly, even one lost premier league game or Champions league game (because of outside circumstances) is worth millions. Some football club just won't want to bend their protocols atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Biosecurity hasn't been mentioned once in this discussion (by MUFC) and we have teams sharing stadiums already. This is down to pitch availability, nothing more or less.

well if you want an iconic ground that's not been used by other teams and would be easy for the likely teams to get to how about Odsal. pitch is still in good condition as a couple of local teams played there last month. the team coaches drive down into the bowl so that's close to the changing rooms and any guests could be housed on one floor of the coral stand  .

also of course the question of rent does not apply indeed there could be a small profit from advertising ect .  it can not be denied its an iconic stadium as so many threads have mentioned it as one.

it could also be perhaps the last ever game to be played there which would make it that extra bit special .

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

well if you want an iconic ground that's not been used by other teams and would be easy for the likely teams to get to how about Odsal. pitch is still in good condition as a couple of local teams played there last month. the team coaches drive down into the bowl so that's close to the changing rooms and any guests could be housed on one floor of the coral stand  .

also of course the question of rent does not apply indeed there could be a small profit from advertising ect .  it can not be denied its an iconic stadium as so many threads have mentioned it as one.

it could also be perhaps the last ever game to be played there which would make it that extra bit special .

Not sure Odsal looks great on TV. I think ideally they’ll want a soccer ground if not a neutral rugby league stadium will be used.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Etihad with the RFL moving there and its being in Manchester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want somewhere well known that isn't 'tin pot' why don't we do something a bit different - see if we can play at Old Trafford cricket ground. If there are no crowds it doesn't matter that the stands are away from the playing surface, and if nothing else the venue will attract attention from the media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Not sure Odsal looks great on TV. I think ideally they’ll want a soccer ground if not a neutral rugby league stadium will be used.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Etihad with the RFL moving there and its being in Manchester

I'd be amazed if it was at the Etihad. Man City have never been too keen on Rugby League being played there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubai will be crying out for publicity at the moment. They’d probably fly the teams over for free too. And they have the stadium already.

Guaranteed fair weather too in November/December. Temp in the twenties and little chance of rain.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 10:40, sweaty craiq said:

Soccer pitch in season so same issues as OT imo. Leeds, Warrington, Saints - one of them wont be in.

 

Looks like it will be saints then 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 11:33, Blind side johnny said:

Salford would seem to be the obvious solution to me. After all it won't be far for either of the finalists to travel, will it?

Getting from Leeds is a nightmare on the M62.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 12:47, roughyed8 said:

Whitebank stadium would be a fitting venue for such a prestigious event🤪🤪

Once went to Whitebank with Hunslet Warriors when they played in the challenge cup, I must say it was the biggest dump I've been in. I was helping our kit man, the showers didn't work even in the home dressing room, the Oldham captain I think it was Marcus St Hiliaire asked to use ours when we had finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Not sure Odsal looks great on TV. I think ideally they’ll want a soccer ground if not a neutral rugby league stadium will be used.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Etihad with the RFL moving there and its being in Manchester

does any ground look good when playing a match in an empty stadium . at least people may recognise the stadium which is more than can be said for the boring concrete stadiums build off the same plan. These days  

Edited by paul hicks
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If they were allowed spectators, play it in France.

Sky wouldn't have it in France, they would need to transport all the equipment they need out there and everyone who went apart from the teams would need to isolate for 2 weeks on their return. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paul hicks said:

does any ground look good when playing a match in an empty stadium . at least people may recognise the stadium which is more than can be said for the boring concrete stadiums build off the same plan. These days  

There's one person on this forum fully qualified to answer this question..... 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I suggested, but not for logistical reason, for financial reasons, back in July, when I suggested it for the Cup Final. As there is no spectators going to be allowed, they could play the final almost anywhere. KC Stadium sounds a good bet, as does the John Smiths, I wouldn't play it at Headingly as Rhinos still have a chance of making it a Home final, and that would be unfair. Bolton might work, as they are struggling in League 2, and could do with the money, probably. Same goes for Blackpool. Especially as they missed out on Championships Bash weekend.

  • Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It’s at LSV, the 8 changing rooms, full HD floodlighting, brilliant media facilities and on site warm up facilities made it an easy choice when foc

If the match changes to a Wednesday night then we'll know its Leigh.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Damien said:

If the match changes to a Wednesday night then we'll know its Leigh.

Any team can win a Grand Final in sunny Manchester on a Saturday. Only the truly great teams can do it on a cold wet Wednesday night in Leigh.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

sunny Manchester

I know I’ve been out of the country for a lot of years but those are words I never expect to see in the same sentence.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Damien said:

If the match changes to a Wednesday night then we'll know its Leigh.

At 6pm. And for the first time the organisers will be able to justify it by arguing it was chosen because supporters couldn't get there by train.

  • Haha 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky have announced it'll be at the KCOM Stadium.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...