Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose with Hull its a huge poison chalice. Persistent under performers, massive fan expectation/pressure and then there's the owner!

Huddersfield on the other hand, step up from Salford, bigger budget, better squad depth, an academy, far less fan/owner pressure.

20 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

He can travel from Salford to Huddersfield unlike Hull. I am worried he will also strip the backroom staff.

Every year there is drama with Salford, never seem to have stability. It was just players now coaches as well

I suppose if it is Huddersfield you'd imagine they'd keep Robinson on as assistant, though I agree I'd expect to see some of his team move with him as well.

Just now, meast said:

Huddersfield have agreed a compensation package with Salford.

It seems really sad that a club like Salford seem to get by on compensation packages, while I'm happy we've seemingly got him, I feel a bit sad for Salford that he hasn't stayed to build them even further.

Without top level investment its always going to be a difficult job. A bit like people have said about Powell for a few years it'll be nice to see him with some money to play around with.

18 minutes ago, M j M said:

Is this Huddersfield thing right? Doesn't make any sense when he could have the pick of the Saints, Wigan or Warrington jobs next time they come up (and one will within the year).

Would any of those three actually go for a home based coach outside of anyone who is already in their system?

5 minutes ago, meast said:

Huddersfield have agreed a compensation package with Salford.

It seems really sad that a club like Salford seem to get by on compensation packages, while I'm happy we've seemingly got him, I feel a bit sad for Salford that he hasn't stayed to build them even further.

Seem to get by with Compensation? We hardly ever get a package, last one was probably O'Brien, maybe a small amount of  cash for Lui

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Would any of those three actually go for a home based coach outside of anyone who is already in their system?

Maybe if he does a good job at Huddersfield too, imagine if he could get them to a GF, he’d have his pick of any job. 

As a side note, Huddersfield Barracudas was a much better name than Giants. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe if he does a good job at Huddersfield too, imagine if he could get them to a GF, he’d have his pick of any job. 

He should have the pick but my comments about the 3 named clubs still remain applicable 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

V sad for Salford.  That great momentum gutted by Covid.  Really fear for them if they go down. 

I don't think they'd collapse if relegated, they're very well ran now, but I don't see them coming back up either.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is it confirmed he’s gone to Huddersfield? If so, that is a coup for them. And just what they need to kick on. 

The sounds of cowbells ringing around the district gave the game away.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I thought when Watson turned down Hull that maybe he’s more comfortable being a just being a big fish in a small pond and going to Huddersfield confirms that.  No disrespect to Huddersfield, but Huddersfield is a risky move as he will have to go one better and win something there, if he is to achieve his ambition of coaching in the NRL.  

Maybe he’s not as astute as we all thought at Salford, or he’s skint.

Heigh ho!

Archived