What Do French Clubs Offer SL - an objective assessment

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Warning to anyone over 6' 00 or with an inside leg over 29" don't go to Anfield the most uncomfortable seating I have ever experienced anywhere, no leg room whatsoever, it is worse than a Ryan Air aeroplane spacing.

I concur, I was there for the NZ v Australia match and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been. People were leaving the game, very one sided which didnt help, and getting up and standing on the steps and in the entrances instead.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Warning to anyone over 6' 00 or with an inside leg over 29" don't go to Anfield the most uncomfortable seating I have ever experienced anywhere, no leg room whatsoever, it is worse than a Ryan Air aeroplane spacing.

I'm under 6ft and it crushed my knees!

On 14/11/2020 at 14:56, Robin Evans said:

Well Tex owd lad..... I'm just chuckling here that you cast your fly this morning and you're now admiring your net full.

First class prose my friend....🤣🤣

I forgot I even did this and yes, I am chuckling to myself.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

For the record this was a bit of a wind up, I think Catalan are great and a real success story for RL and Super League.

The more serious point is that the attachment is from the 'independent' and 'objective' assessment commissioned by Elstone into the strategic potential of professional RL in Canada. It would appear the consultants think that French teams offer nothing to SL, so maybe the Oscar Wilde quotes and cry reacts could be sent to them? 

The 'strategic' direction of the game seems very retractionist at the moment which I dont think bodes well for Toulouse's bid.

3736-mipm.gif

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

For the record this was a bit of a wind up, 

No sh it?🤣🤣🤣🤣

I will disagree with their comments on catalans. They bring plenty to SL as will Toulouse should they ever get there. 

Does fans enjoyment not count at all? I only know one person who has stated that their French experience was a poor one..... he did nearly lose his life after a serious assault like.....

Fev in Toulouse ..... its a blast

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

No sh it?🤣🤣🤣🤣

I will disagree with their comments on catalans. They bring plenty to SL as will Toulouse should they ever get there. 

Does fans enjoyment not count at all? I only know one person who has stated that their French experience was a poor one..... he did nearly lose his life after a serious assault like.....

Fev in Toulouse ..... its a blast

I think you were the only one who noticed Robin!

3736-mipm.gif

On 14/11/2020 at 15:51, meast said:

Have you been to Perpignan?

Or indeed the rugby league area of French Catalonia?

If you have then you'll be aware of the passion, pride and love for the game and all the local village clubs and their players who all follow and aspire to play for Les Dragons.

There is more rugby league culture in that region than in most regions of the North of England, so ask this, what do any of the clubs in the North of England offer that Catalans don't?

Thats not true at all Union is bigger than league in that region of France. In the north west of England league is the dominant code.

13 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Thats not true at all Union is bigger than league in that region of France. In the north west of England league is the dominant code.

I think TH2 he is referring to places where League is played.

I had a house near to Perpignan for around 10 years and it completely various from town/village to town/village 

Locally (Not including Perpignan itself) 

Pia LEAGUE

Palau LEAGUE

Rivesaltes UNION

Ille S/Tet LEAGUE

Vernet Le Bain/Union

Argeles/UNION

Le Bacaras/LEAGUE

St Cypriern/LEAGUE 

(1/2 hours from Perpignan)

Narbonne/UNION

Lezignan/LEAGUE

Limoux/LEAGUE

Carcassonne /LEAGUE/UNION (Used to be just LEAGUE)

Quillian/UNION

Hope this gives you an idea.

Paul

23 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

In that case you should ask the question again and mean it this time, do you think no ones got anything better to do on here? 🙂

I merely shared the objective assessment of independent consultants...

3736-mipm.gif

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like the way the charade around not wanting Toronto because we should be concentrating on French Rugby League has now been dropped by some posters. Now it is we don't want Toulouse because we should now be concentrating on London.

They don't realise that it inevitably reduces to exclude their club/area too

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I think TH2 he is referring to places where League is played.

I had a house near to Perpignan for around 10 years and it completely various from town/village to town/village 

Locally (Not including Perpignan itself) 

Pia LEAGUE

Palau LEAGUE

Rivesaltes UNION

Ille S/Tet LEAGUE

Vernet Le Bain/Union

Argeles/UNION

Le Bacaras/LEAGUE

St Cypriern/LEAGUE 

(1/2 hours from Perpignan)

Narbonne/UNION

Lezignan/LEAGUE

Limoux/LEAGUE

Carcassonne /LEAGUE/UNION (Used to be just LEAGUE)

Quillian/UNION

Hope this gives you an idea.

Paul

If you look at google search trends in that region union is dominating(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=FR-K&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F06f3l) compare that to NSW in australia(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=AU-NSW&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F01lwy5) . In Languedoc-Roussillon union dominates league and in NSW league dominates union. These trends show interest in the sports by the people who live there.

You left out Beziers which is union. Also compare USC Carcassonne crowds to AS Carcassonne crowds its Union> league in Carcassonne. Also I don't know why you saying it use be just league in carcassonne when AS carcassonne use to be a union club switched to league the clubs split into to two and USC carcassonne was formed as the union section of the club. The sport got banned in france then went back to league after the sports ban on league was lifted. There's always been union in Carcassonne.

You also left Montpellier which is also union>league. You also left out Nimes which is also union>league. So pretty much any decent sized town there is Union>league. Languedoc-Roussillon is far from a rugby league heartland but its the place where our game is strongest in France I'll give you that. But to say league is stronger in that region of france than league is in the north west of england is not true.

In the northwest of england rugby league dominates union maybe bar south yorkshire. League isn't dominating union in that region of france it's the other way around. It's only recently that we've been catching up and that's cause all the union clubs there besides Montpellier in that region are in the second division and Narbonne is in the third.

I've never heard of a league team in Nîmes in the 20 years I've been over here, I used to play for montpellier and the légionnaires used to travel from nimes to train and play with us, then to drink with us but that was a bit dangerous! 

16 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

If you look at google search trends in that region union is dominating(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=FR-K&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F06f3l) compare that to NSW in australia(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=AU-NSW&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F01lwy5) . In Languedoc-Roussillon union dominates league and in NSW league dominates union. These trends show interest in the sports by the people who live there.

You left out Beziers which is union. Also compare USC Carcassonne crowds to AS Carcassonne crowds its Union> league in Carcassonne. Also I don't know why you saying it use be just league in carcassonne when AS carcassonne use to be a union club switched to league the clubs split into to two and USC carcassonne was formed as the union section of the club. The sport got banned in france then went back to league after the sports ban on league was lifted. There's always been union in Carcassonne.

You also left Montpellier which is also union>league. You also left out Nimes which is also union>league. So pretty much any decent sized town there is Union>league. Languedoc-Roussillon is far from a rugby league heartland but its the place where our game is strongest in France I'll give you that. But to say league is stronger in that region of france than league is in the north west of england is not true.

In the northwest of england rugby league dominates union maybe bar south yorkshire. League isn't dominating union in that region of france it's the other way around. It's only recently that we've been catching up and that's cause all the union clubs there besides Montpellier in that region are in the second division and Narbonne is in the third.

TH2 I have kept it fairly local and am giving you an example based on the main towns/villages in and around Perpignan and then 1 hour away.

What I am saying is that in a place where either League or Union is played then that will be the dominant code there.

League does not exist in Nimes and is tiny in Montpelier so not even worth mentioning.

As for Carcassonne its only been the last few years that the Union club has started to attract a decent crowd due to their rise to Elite 2 prior to that they were tiny.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I do like the way the charade around not wanting Toronto because we should be concentrating on French Rugby League has now been dropped by some posters. Now it is we don't want Toulouse because we should now be concentrating on London.

Elstone doesn't want London either, they want Bradford.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Don’t want London, we should be concentrating on West Yorkshire. Tbh I’m starting to have my doubts about Wigan too, it’s 14 miles from the DW to the nearest junction of the M62 (junction 10) and that’s too far imho. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don’t want London, we should be concentrating on West Yorkshire. Tbh I’m starting to have my doubts about Wigan too, it’s 14 miles from the DW to the nearest junction of the M62 (junction 10) and that’s too far imho. 

“Look kid, I’ve travelled from one side of the M62 to the other and I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff.  But I’ve not seen anything to convince me there’s one all powerful farce controlling everything...”

-Han Solo (Star Wars)

(How wrong he was!)

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

TH2 I have kept it fairly local and am giving you an example based on the main towns/villages in and around Perpignan and then 1 hour away.

What I am saying is that in a place where either League or Union is played then that will be the dominant code there.

League does not exist in Nimes and is tiny in Montpelier so not even worth mentioning.

As for Carcassonne its only been the last few years that the Union club has started to attract a decent crowd due to their rise to Elite 2 prior to that they were tiny.

Both union and league are played in the small towns around perpignan at an amatuer level for example RC LIMOUX RAZES XV and Limoux grizzlies xiii, pia xiii and us pia xv and Rugby Club Lezignan XV and FC Lézignan XIII.And union has more players than league. Also if you looked at Limoux's google search trends(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=FR-K&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F06f3l) it was searching rugby union content 80% to leagues 20% that's actually pretty good for league in many other cities the numbers are smaller for league in comparison to union and most of the cities in Languedoc-Roussillon it was 100% union and 0%league. Saint-Cyprien in google search data was 100% union and 0%. League may be played there that doesn't mean the sport has a decent following amongst the people who live there. It isn't just league being played around the small towns in perpignan and followed there union presence is stronger than league not just grassroots but media and tv as well.

Compare that to QLD australia google search data league is dominating union in every city in Queensland( https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=AU-QLD&q=%2Fm%2F06br8,%2Fm%2F01lwy5) the more north you go the more league it becomes. North QLD is clearly  leagues strongest region in QLD. Unions best city is Brisbane which is 76% league to unions 24%. Union is still a minority rugby code in Brisbane even with a respectable grassroots presence. Queensland is a rugby league heartland. just like NSW.

USC Carcassonne have been in pro d2 for the last 10 years and have been pulling bigger crowds for a while now. Being fully pro and on tv helps. And their biggest crowds have always been against close rivals like beziers, USAP and Narbonne. Also AS carcassonne signed a samoan rugby union international that was big news in Carcassonne because he had previously played for USC carcassonne. That was clearly a publicity signing(like the wolfpack signing of SBW) for As Carcassonne because he's old as hell and hasn't played professional rugby league. I think we can agree there are some small towns around perpignan (mainly ones with elite 1 sides) that have a good rugby league presence but its amateur and semi-pro with no following unless you have a connection to the club you can't watch them on tv and the crowds in elite 1 are very very small.

Outside of people who play for the elite 1 clubs and people who go to the stadiums to watch (not in big numbers it must be said) when they turn on the tv to watch sports entertainment rugby league isn't even available to watch. The elite 1 clubs don't cut through outside the league bubble. To call it a rugby league heartland? I think it's a stretch. To say it has a respectable league presence and the game has done well to survive in the region despite systematic sporting apartheid I think that's a much more fair assessment on the state of RL in france. Union clearly dominates the region. And league is definitely stronger in the north west of England than it is in that region of france (which was my original point) we have both amatuer and pro rugby on lock can watch live rugby league week in week out on our tvs here union is basically dead in west yorkshire with leed tykes having folded(not dancing on their grave just saying).

On 15/11/2020 at 12:49, GUBRATS said:

So you are comparing SL to the NFL ? , Mmmm ok 

No you said transatlantic teams wont work

I am pointing out that NFL are doing just that

Maybe for small pit villages and outskirts of Wigan it's not viable but in the bigger world away from small time places with no train stations let alone airports it will work

Archived