Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

9 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Australasia is not a continent. Nor is Oceania.

The continent is Australia.

Anyway, I’m off to work. Enjoy your SL with Leigh guys. I’m sure it will be a hoot.

Well I am learning something here - long time since school days when Australasia was one of the continents - but when I google it says Australia is part of Oceania. Confused and apologetic, ish

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Thanks. Found that eventually. It seems to be a NZ assertion of independence. In some ways technically it's a different land mass as the biggest microcontinent but on the same tectonic plate as Australia so for all practical purposes, part of the continent of Australia.    

Obviously as an RL fan living in Canada, albeit the Western part, I would have loved TWP to have come in and been successful, but the reality is that they had money issues, even before COVID, and certainly had Major off field organization issues (visa problems, poor salary cap management leading to a small squad, plus a multitude of unpaid or late paid suppliers) so they were just not up to the task. I also echo Dave T’s comment that the failure in South Wales was a bigger setback for the game than TWP, especially given the areas ability to produce players. The Gateshead fiasco was at least eventually resurrected and as a Thunder fan I really hope we can survive in the Championship and take steady steps to the top, with no quick fixes please. Now SL is back to 12 everyone of the lower league clubs fans should be hoping that Leigh can compete and survive, as I would hate to have the incumbents say that the door should be permanently closed arguing that no one at the lower level has the capability to step up.

I'm still in the poisoned chalice camp. It's really set up to fail with reduced funding and no time to build a squad. If it had been Toulouse (or maybe London) I was suspicious that the RFL would somehow find the finance to extend to 14 teams.

Good luck to Leigh, they'll need it. Hopefully they've learnt from previous experience how difficult it is to compete at SL level over a whole season rather than in one-off games. I'm not sure they can do anything but make up the numbers. 

Some fans think Wakefield should be worried, but the reality is Trinity's squad is way stronger than anything Leigh can cobble together under these circumstances. The bottom half of SL has improved significantly since last time they were there.

4 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I'm still in the poisoned chalice camp. It's really set up to fail with reduced funding and no time to build a squad. If it had been Toulouse (or maybe London) I was suspicious that the RFL would somehow find the finance to extend to 14 teams.

Good luck to Leigh, they'll need it. Hopefully they've learnt from previous experience how difficult it is to compete at SL level over a whole season rather than in one-off games. I'm not sure they can do anything but make up the numbers. 

Some fans think Wakefield should be worried, but the reality is Trinity's squad is way stronger than anything Leigh can cobble together under these circumstances. The bottom half of SL has improved significantly since last time they were there.

Has it? London did better than expected..

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, Celt said:

So.... Elstone said only last month on BBC 5 Live that he was most interested in what would the new club bring in terms of commercial value.

"Is it going to get broadcasters interested, is it going to get sponsors interested?" were pretty much his exact words.

Good to know. And great to know that Leigh is the best option in terms of adding value among broadcasters and sponsors. Which broadcasters did he mean? Wire FM? BBC Radio Manchester?  

I'm convinced Elstone is simply making it up as he goes along. 

39 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Has it? London did better than expected..

Better than expected? They were still relegated having full funding and longer to prepare - we'll see.

No doubt they'll pick up a couple of wins at the start, (probably at home against Wakefield in the first game) but it's a long hard season that tests your squad, often to the extreme.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are we all just making continents up now? :kolobok_biggrin:

It's where all debates on rugby league end up after midnight. Didn't you know?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

No doubt they'll pick up a couple of wins at the start, (probably at home against Wakefield in the first game) but it's a long hard season that tests your squad, often to the extreme.

Beaumont will get out the chequebook.

Wakefield, Salford and Hull KR fans should be looking over their shoulders.

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Completely agree WT , both me and the other Leigh fans on here have stated as such , it will be very difficult , we are favourites for relegation , but we're in , so we'll give it our best shot , if we come back down well deserve it simple as 

Congratualations to Leigh but I must say I am very disappointed (no offence).

Another team in Wigan, with a hstory of not really competing when in SL, is pretty uninspiring but good luck to them.  Whoever joined this year was always going to be massively up against it so I wish them well but suspect they will finish bottom by a distance.

If we are bringing in a team and accepting that they will more than likely finish bottom I'd rather it was TO.

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Better than expected? They were still relegated having full funding and longer to prepare - we'll see.

Pretty much what happened last time , we had wins against Saints and Warrington , but struggled as injuries mounted up , then the players we brought in to bolster us , Daniel Mortimer and Samisoni Llangi got injured after 2 games , but SL wanted somebody , we are probably as best placed as anybody else to give it a shot , so we will see , maybe 3rd time lucky 

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Congratualations to Leigh but I must say I am very disappointed (no offence).

Another team in Wigan, with a hstory of not really competing when in SL, is pretty uninspiring but good luck to them.  Whoever joined this year was always going to be massively up against it so I wish them well but suspect they will finish bottom by a distance.

If we are bringing in a team and accepting that they will more than likely finish bottom I'd rather it was TO.

In what way would that help Toulouse ? , They would now be considered favourites to win promotion and will have the time and money to prepare if they win the Championship GF 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

In what way would that help Toulouse ? , They would now be considered favourites to win promotion and will have the time and money to prepare if they win the Championship GF 

In what way does this help Leigh?

I agree there is a benefit in being able to prepare better but they could equally have three seasons blighted by injuries and not get close.

8 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

The honest answer is none and i'm hoping that will change in future. The only way Leigh are going to get a meaningful academy is by putting a few years together in SL. We have a Cat 3 academy at the moment which is linked to the college at the LSV but it is more of a support tool for the local amateur teams and college team rather than a serious star making machine. I'm happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than me, but the way i understand it is that cat 1 academies are given on a license basis, with preference to SL clubs and those beyond the heartlands like Newcastle and London. The only heartland teams with cat 1 academies outside SL are the ones recently relegated - Widnes and Bradford.

Thanks for the honest answer. I completely understand as that is the way of professional sport.

Its just a pity all those Leigh fans weren't as understanding when it came to a stick to beat Toronto with. Stealing from the pool doesn't seem to count if its your own club doing it. Those famed double standards again.

This Elstone chap must be pretty powerful and persuasive if he can choose seven of the great and good of the game and get them to bend to his evil will and agree unanimously to choose Leigh to fill the vacant SL place. As we all know from reading this thread from start to finish,  Elstone is useless, incompetent, a waste of space,  overpaid and worse.

77 pages on Superleague Promotion? ############.

Archived