Players you forgot played for your club

Mr Plow

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damien said:

They were terrible and so out of shape after a couple of months in Union.

I remember when Henry Paul had a long stint at Gloucester RU, he then returned to RL with London and his first game back happened to be televised, he was a sub and came on either for the whole or a part of the second half, after the game he was interviewed and what a mess he was, bent over with his hands on his knees trying to gulp in as much air has heĀ possibly could, he could notĀ put two words together as he could hardly talkĀ he was that knackered.

And the sad thing is Gloucester where one off the top Union sides at that time and Paul had very recently played for England if I recall correctly.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I remember when Henry Paul had a long stint at Gloucester RU, he then returned to RL with London and his first game back happened to be televised, he was a sub and came on either for the whole or a part of the second half, after the game he was interviewed and what a mess he was, bent over with his hands on his knees trying to gulp in as much air has heĀ possibly could, he could notĀ put two words together as he could hardly talkĀ he was that knackered.

And the sad thing is Gloucester where one off the top Union sides at that time and Paul had very recently played for England if I recall correctly.

Whatā€™s sad about it šŸ˜‰

Wasnt Henry Paul a huge flop for England? Seem to remember Brian Moore or Stephen jones slaughtering him.

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasnt Henry Paul a huge flop for England? Seem to remember Brian Moore or Stephen jones slaughtering him.

You have the better of me Mackem, my RU knowledge is not that good, I was just relating to the fact that Henry Paul made the transition from top class Union to RL and it was 'sad' that his physical condition was so lacking.

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Seem to remember Brian Moore or Stephen jones slaughtering him.

Read all about it, Yoonion pundits criticise ex-league player!

Them what can't write, and them what can't write become yawn pundits!

Players you forgot played for your club

With my memory I'd have buy several books and have wiki permanently to hand.

Also thought this might be handy for saving a decent thread from cross sport oblivion!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol: Ā Non-Political

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have the better of me Mackem, my RU knowledge is not that good, I was just relating to the fact that Henry Paul made the transition from top class Union to RL and it was 'sad' that his physical condition was so lacking.

My mistake Harry. I thought you meant it was ā€œsadā€ that Gloucester was a top union side.

A few Wigan players who I only really associate with other clubs:

Gavin Clinch

Wayne McDonald

Nathan McAvoy

Mike Forshaw

Tim Wilby

Kurt Sorensen

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Difficult thread to contribute to this one.Ā  As soon as you remember a player that you forgot played for your club then you can't add them as you haveĀ remembered them.

That`s a similar reasoningĀ to the thought experiment of Shrodinger`s cat. At least I think it is. Something to do with quantum mechanics.Ā 

The trouble with doing this with Fulham is that Ross Strudwick in particular (although he wasn't the only guilty party!) used to play regular first teamers under assumed names in a largely futile attempt to hide his blatant rorting of the quota limit. There was one (in)famous occasion when a player apparently not only changed his name but also his colour from one Sunday to the next!!

33 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Tugga went back to RU after that lossā“

Signed for Newcastle who went bust.

Tuigamala had weight issues throughout his career. Wigan kept it more under control than anyone else, but whenever he went home, his family assumed those terrible English types were starving him and tried to make amends, so it was a permanent struggle.

He stayed on at Wigan after that match, but only 'til the end of the season. He helped win the RU premiership for Newcastle in their 1997/1998 season' along with Alan Tait and John Bentley.Ā 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/12/2020 at 14:32, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasn't that bad. 3 OK sub appearances, good against Canada, better against South Africa. Got dragged after 25 minutes against Australia (he was having one of the all time horror shows) and never picked again, but that's at least partly because Andy Robinson was (and probably still is) a d*ck.Ā 

When Wiggy Jones slags off a RL convert, you know he was playing at least well, and maybe turning in a MotM performance. The chip on that fraudulent, decrepit old nonsense's shoulder is bigger than the average galaxy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/12/2020 at 11:05, marklaspalmas said:

Brilliant.

The TRL equivalent of Trigger's broom.

Do you mean The Ship of Theseus, or maybe you had forgotten about that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Was sorting through some stuff the other day and came across some old Grand Final programmes from the early 2000s. Looking at the Bradford team I could recall them all except Daniel Gartner. I know he was an Aussie 2nd row but apart from that I canā€™t remember anything about him.

Iā€™m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived