Season ticket sales? very low?

Col81

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s the price for a full season of home games. People will be entitled to a partial refund at the end of the season, how much will depend how many games are behind closed doors. Some will choose to donate the refund to the club, but it’ll be down to individual season ticket holders to decide whether or not they want to do that.

Will they be entitled? Will that actually be the case?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Will they be entitled? Will that actually be the case?

I've been intermittently trying to locate some actual proper information about this. There was a lot written about 2020 season tickets (mainly in football) as, obviously, people had bought those season tickets before knowing that behind closed door matches would be a thing.

For those it seems very clear. Refunds, or at least the offer of a refund, should be made. There's a good few legal bods who regard that as pretty straightforward.

The however is that when looking for stuff about season ticket refunds in general then it becomes less clear. (I'm sure other people will know more than me about the technicalities here). What I can find seems to suggest that a season ticket acts as a contract and you, the customer, agree to be bound by its terms and conditions when you buy it. If one of those terms is, "This ticket is non refundable" then by buying the ticket you've agreed to it.

That said, obviously there's an argument that that is unfair. But it's not clear cut, especially if an alternative service (streaming for free of all home matches for example) is being made available.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Yes 

Judging by the below, which was my assumption too, this seems entirely possible.

22 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I've been intermittently trying to locate some actual proper information about this. There was a lot written about 2020 season tickets (mainly in football) as, obviously, people had bought those season tickets before knowing that behind closed door matches would be a thing.

For those it seems very clear. Refunds, or at least the offer of a refund, should be made. There's a good few legal bods who regard that as pretty straightforward.

The however is that when looking for stuff about season ticket refunds in general then it becomes less clear. (I'm sure other people will know more than me about the technicalities here). What I can find seems to suggest that a season ticket acts as a contract and you, the customer, agree to be bound by its terms and conditions when you buy it. If one of those terms is, "This ticket is non refundable" then by buying the ticket you've agreed to it.

That said, obviously there's an argument that that is unfair. But it's not clear cut, especially if an alternative service (streaming for free of all home matches for example) is being made available.

As it stands, given the home games we have available I think I'll be buying 3 or 4 individual match tickets for around £100 rather than forking out nearer to £250 for a few games I'm not really bothered about - and still having to buy magic plus any play off and cup games separately.

Rugby League appears to be bucking the trend regarding selling season tickets that are non-refundable as other sports are selling on the basis of a refund or proportionate refund depending upon the number of games the buyer will be allowed to attend.

The reason why RL clubs are stating at the time that if you purchase a season ticket it is not refundable, is the basic law of contract - offer and acceptance - You are buying on the terms the seller has outlined and if I say no refund then you have accepted my terms by purchasing the ticket

An example in point, would be if you bought a ticket for international cricket or a T20 game. It is part of the terms and conditions of sale that in the event of rain or bad light that if a minimum number of overs that have been bowled in the day you cannot claim a  refund.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Judging by the below, which was my assumption too, this seems entirely possible.

As it stands, given the home games we have available I think I'll be buying 3 or 4 individual match tickets for around £100 rather than forking out nearer to £250 for a few games I'm not really bothered about - and still having to buy magic plus any play off and cup games separately.

I bought my tickets/passes regardless of whether they are allowed fans in, I hope to get to see live games especially now the vaccine rollout is picking up pace, I know its down to personal finance for lots of fans but even though we don't have Premier league numbers league fans are incredibly loyal. 

I bought my Season Ticket just before the third lockdown and i paid it off in one go (cash). I think Saints are refunding fan’s for the first couple of home game’s with them being behind closed doors. If everything goes ######’s up again i wouldn’t ask for a refund. I bought my season ticket out of loyalty to the club, plus we’ve won the GF two year’s running. I couldn’t imagine my life without RL, it keeps me sane. 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I bought my tickets/passes regardless of whether they are allowed fans in, I hope to get to see live games especially now the vaccine rollout is picking up pace, I know its down to personal finance for lots of fans but even though we don't have Premier league numbers league fans are incredibly loyal. 

I know mate, I suppose from my families end we gave up the money last year as it was money we'd already paid and written off, much harder to make that same case now.

46 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

In contrast to football I know Leeds United sold out of season tickets (23,000) this season despite a lockdown. They also have 20,000 on the waiting list so could have sold 43,000 season tickets for this season despite Covid. 

They have rolled all those over to next season though (and thus taken the income hit from that)

59 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

In contrast to football I know Leeds United sold out of season tickets (23,000) this season despite a lockdown. They also have 20,000 on the waiting list so could have sold 43,000 season tickets for this season despite Covid. 

You do know this is a RL forum dont you and comparing Leeds RL to Leeds Football crowds is like comparing Leeds football crowds to Man U crowds....

Also not sure they could have ever sold 43,000 season tickets as the stadium doesn't hold that many and you have to account for away fans.

See today that Shudds have put their basic Adult Season Ticket up for grabs at £99.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 28/02/2021 at 22:45, Tommygilf said:

They have rolled all those over to next season though (and thus taken the income hit from that)

Norwich have done the same, people are paying monthly now and will get their ST ‘free’ next year. 

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Huddersfield’s season ticket at £99/ £50 is a real bargain.

Does anyone know how much they charged last season or how this compares to the cost of a match day ticket?

Every season they seem to price their season tickets extremely low.  With the team and coaching set up Huddersfield have this season they could be pushing top 4 at £9 a match for an adult season ticket. It’s good while Ken Davy can keep subsidising  it.  

58 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Every season they seem to price their season tickets extremely low.  With the team and coaching set up Huddersfield have this season they could be pushing top 4 at £9 a match for an adult season ticket. It’s good while Ken Davy can keep subsidising  it.  

They have set the value of the clubs future at £99 per year, good luck to them trying to get £300 soon

On other points  - comparison to soccer, give any RL club 1/10th of what each premier league club gets and you dont need fans at all

Most fans want a RL club to support so those who can afford will buy, some fans would love to but will be financially challenged and others will expect others to keep the club afloat until its in SL or gets to a final

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Huddersfield’s season ticket at £99/ £50 is a real bargain.

Does anyone know how much they charged last season or how this compares to the cost of a match day ticket?

Don't know how much they charged for matchday tickets last year (though from past experience as an away fan it was fairly in line with the £24 mark iirc), but they have had the £99 ST for a few seasons now. 

I suppose Huddersfield realise that having less people in paying more isn't great for their atmosphere and makes those same tickets harder to sell again in future. They've boosted crowds recently to being fairly consistently around the 7k mark which is almost double from where they were in the recent past in SL. If they can come closer to 9k and push 10k for big games against Leeds etc then that will be positive progress heavily subsidised by the owner. That said the entire club is subsidised so what difference does another few hundred grand make? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Norwich have done the same, people are paying monthly now and will get their ST ‘free’ next year. 

Wakefield have had a programme for about 3 or 4 years now, where your monthly membership, gives you a ST (or probably called a membership), for the following season.

37 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They have set the value of the clubs future at £99 per year, good luck to them trying to get £300 soon

Having valued your product at X to attract more fans, you are not going to convert that to Z, when you have to "up" the cost to pay the bills.

One day the bills will need paying.

"If it's cheap, it must be ****".

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't know how much they charged for matchday tickets last year (though from past experience as an away fan it was fairly in line with the £24 mark iirc), but they have had the £99 ST for a few seasons now. 

I suppose Huddersfield realise that having less people in paying more isn't great for their atmosphere and makes those same tickets harder to sell again in future. They've boosted crowds recently to being fairly consistently around the 7k mark which is almost double from where they were in the recent past in SL. If they can come closer to 9k and push 10k for big games against Leeds etc then that will be positive progress heavily subsidised by the owner. That said the entire club is subsidised so what difference does another few hundred grand make? 

Charging home fans £99 for a full season and away fans £24 for a single game is a shocking IMO, completely ripping off the away fans. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Charging home fans £99 for a full season and away fans £24 for a single game is a shocking IMO, completely ripping off the away fans. 

I mean I'd assume they were charging walk up home fans the same too. I don't have any problem with a club heavily incentivising memberships.

On 04/03/2021 at 20:47, Tommygilf said:

Last year was £149 for adults

Our average has been around 5500 for the last few years and what do you mean by the entire club is subsidised? Do you mean by the sponsors and directors?

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Doesn't every single sports club on the planet do their utmost to look after its own supporters?

Doesn't every away fan in rugby league pay more on a match day than season ticket holders of the home club?

Do home supporters pay less on the day? 

Do away supporters get the early bird, pre game discounts that home supporters without season tickets get?

Do Huddersfield supporters get offered the same discounts at every other club?

Isn't it the home clubs responsibility to get as many home fans in as it can?

You may need another stick to try and beat Huddersfield with because this one is a weak one.

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Last year was £149 for adults

Our average has been around 5500 for the last few years and what do you mean by the entire club is subsidised? Do you mean by the sponsors and directors?

The £99 offer isn't new though is it.

I mean the club is quite clearly well backed by its leading investor as without him or an investor to the same extent as him the club wouldn't be sustainable in its current form.

Archived