New North American Competition?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Have Ottawa and NY pulled out of wanting a team in the RFL system and joined NARL or will they do what Catalans and Toulouse do and run reserve teams in NARL?

From the press release a page or so back: "The Ottawa Aces, which were supposed to enter European-based Rugby Football League’s Betfred League 1 (as a relocation of the Hemel Stags) in 2021, had already postponed their entry for a year. The Aces haven’t given up on League 1, but were quick to jump on an offer to join the North American League. The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL, but the COVID-19 pandemic is complicating that. It’s possible sometime in the future the Aces could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

From the press release a page or so back: "The Ottawa Aces, which were supposed to enter European-based Rugby Football League’s Betfred League 1 (as a relocation of the Hemel Stags) in 2021, had already postponed their entry for a year. The Aces haven’t given up on League 1, but were quick to jump on an offer to join the North American League. The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL, but the COVID-19 pandemic is complicating that. It’s possible sometime in the future the Aces could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL."

Openly said that’s their intent on their Facebook page announcing this competition. 

Hope they can...

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The more pressing matter may be the apparent Licence they purchased from Hemel Stags so they could enter League 1.What happens to the Licence? As the RFL were to charge a large cost to Manchester Rangers to enter League 1, it may be worthwhile another club taking possession of the Licence.

Didn't Manchester Rangers fold a few years ago?

I believe Ottawa Aces are keeping their options open.  Since the pandemic could still disrupt even the 2022 season yet, then why not join this competition in the meantime.  Nothing to lose really, from their point of view.

The more pressing matter may be the apparent Licence they purchased from Hemel Stags so they could enter League 1.What happens to the Licence? As the RFL were to charge a large cost to Manchester Rangers to enter League 1, it may be worthwhile another club taking possession of the Licence.

double post.

Triple. please delete!

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I’m disappointed by the lack of grooming products 

Mebbe he is one of the investors and we will all be as sleek as ferrets just back from the spa!

Sounds absolutely fantastic. There will be teething problems naturally, there was for MLS and that was far better funded and didn't start during a pandemic!

Taking on board a few of the existing North Eastern USARL teams seems a good move. Hopefully this boosts the game in the US and Canada massively. 

Equally fantastic to see the Wolfpack howling again too

Really is very promising. Way more teams than expected and the return of Wolfpack.

Hopefully this is where the conference system really works - western will be much weaker with all new teams but as long as it is competitive between them it works. Any blow outs later in the play-offs can be improved year-on-year.

Yeah I’d be keen to know why Jax Axe and a few other establish USARL sides aren’t involved. Loyalty? Not invited?

25 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whatever happened to Jax Axe? Thought they'd have been all over something like this in the past.

Seems them, Philadelphia Fight, the other Southern/Florida based teams and the less well established Northern USARL teams haven't come on board or been invited?

Sports Flick won the Champions League rights in Australia for 3 years with a $60 million bid.

also this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/02/sports-flick-the-little-known-start-up-bidding-60m-for-champions-league-broadcast-rights

The other shareholder is Red Star Belgrade Rugby League (WA) Pty Ltd, the Australian branch of the Serbian-based rugby league team coached by former NRL coach Phil Economidis. Owned by Perth-based Colin Kleyweg, who is also Sports Flick’s commercial director, the company’s listed address is just around the corner from Azzopardi’s Riverstone home.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Will have to see how this all plays out. If the NARL takes off and becomes a full time pro comp I can see Ottawa choosing to stay in it rather than play in Europe. 

A third pro league is what the sport needs.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Three months to essentially build teams from scratch. As I said before, the standard doesn't need to be amazing but these games need to be competitive and they need to be exciting.

You can't deny their ambition. Now let's see what comes next.

Yeah, it'll be tough for new teams although I assume they have been building in the background. Existing teams have a core of players but obviously no one has played since 2019 so there is a rebuild. Already a mad scramble for people with US passports.

Be interesting to see the different standards. If we get some of the players we're after we'll be pretty strong. Big if though with travel restrictions.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Go Armadillos! Austin quite possibly the best city in the US.

And of course Brooklyn.. If only they could find a coach from Fev.

Cant imagine there's any of them about in Brooklyn mate...

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Ottawa are hedging their bets and being honest, I'm glad they are.

There are a lot of unknowns with both League One and the NARL for the club, so keeping options open is the best way for them to ensure the club actually takes to the field and stays on the field.

In L1, there are concerns about funding, team numbers, travel restrictions and so on, whilst the NARL has its obvious risks.

By aiming to be in both, if one option fails, the clubs still has a competition to play in, whilst on the flip side, if both paths succeed, the Arrows will benefit from having a bigger squad.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Seems them, Philadelphia Fight, the other Southern/Florida based teams and the less well established Northern USARL teams haven't come on board or been invited?

I used to drink in a bar and the girl serving told me her boyfriend played for the fight . I gave her Kevin Sinfield testimonial shirt he he'd heard about Kevin 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, RobertAM said:

He's sitting in a cellar somewhere totally bewildered and trying to phone his "research" team!

Well he is history now.  Its going to be interesting to see how this goes and if the proper amount of startup money is behind it....I'm supporting it.

5 hours ago, langpark said:

I stand to be corrected, but...

I had never previously heard of any RL activity in:  Phoenix, Portland, San Diego.

Places where RL has had a presence, but it seems a new entity has now entered:  Washington, Austin, Las Vegas, San Fransicso.

In addition: Cleveland have played one match.  NYC and Ottawa Aces have played zero.

So that really only leaves FOUR established clubs:  Boston, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Wolfpack.

Some people will not like me pointing this out, but what can I say, it's fact.  Once again, I wish them every success!

It is concerning the lack of established teams, although at least the NARL are taking steps to minimise that risk.

Playing a pilot competition in 2021 with minimal travel, giving all clubs central funding plus getting clubs to establish Development Officers, etc should help setup a far more impressive 2022 League.

I noticed as well looking at the clubs taking part, the White Plains Wombats will be running the NYC team, so at least that increases the number of established clubs taking part to 5, whilst people from the old DC Slayers are set to be involved in the Calvary.

I will admit that I was surprised that every club in the West is completely new (versus in the East and Canada, existing teams / infrastructure is being used)

From what I can see, no one from the California, Oregon or Texas Rugby Leagues knew this was coming, which isn't completely surprising, but isn't ideal either from a recruitment perspective.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived