Jump to content

New North American Competition?


Recommended Posts


Really excited by this and I'll be watching as much as I can. 

They have a good 'gif' on their twitter to help you decide a team. Hopefully will get a lot of exposure and get people interested in the competition. 

I wish they didn't launch it so close to April 1st. Puts doubt in people's minds!

I expect they will all announce star signings tomorrow though! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see on DC Cavalry's instagram it says they are founded by Ryan Burroughs. Last i'd heard he had swapped codes to play in the MLR so good to see him back in the game. Always thought he was the most unlucky of the NA domestic players to not get more time for the Wolfpack. Remember him doing his hamstring right at the end of a game in the 2017 WC and was gutted for him, thought he could really play.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

From what I can see, no one from the California, Oregon or Texas Rugby Leagues knew this was coming, which isn't completely surprising, but isn't ideal either from a recruitment perspective.

What is the story with California RL?  I've always thought their Tweet-to-match ratio is alarmingly high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely think this will do very well.

 And you can call me stupid or nuts if you want but if they are being given good financial backing,do not be surprised if they entice some of our players from Championship,or even some fringe players from Super League clubs to go over there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ottawa are saying both 2021 and also “looking forward to seeing you in 2022” on their social media.

A positive is that the NARL site says “Watch all NARL games on Sports Flick”.  Having all games broadcast is great. I’ll sign up.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has there been a mention anywhere of referees? As we know, competent officials are central to producing a game that`s satisfying to play and watch.

The "RL is a simple game, not like RU" spiel can be a problem in new ventures. If people assume for instance that the League tackle and ruck is just "player gets tackled, gets up, plays ball", the result can be painfully laboured PTBs, markers continually offside stifling the dummy-half, etc. All leading to general chaos.

I saw some footage of a Brooklyn Kings game where the ref at times completely lost control of the basics. In one passage he seemed to be applying the RU offside law where defenders were just retreating behind the ball.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I genuinely think this will do very well.

 And you can call me stupid or nuts if you want but if they are being given good financial backing,do not be surprised if they entice some of our players from Championship,or even some fringe players from Super League clubs to go over there.

As well as the MLR are doing or even better again? It's interesting to see what their goals are in order be sustainable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheReaper said:

spacer.png

 

It's the academy logo, so I'll perhaps consider it when there is a TWP equivalent.

I'm not particularly a Wolfpack fan though, more of a fan of football (in the broadest sense) in general. Currently, of all of my football teams, only one of them is playing, so I'm rocking that. Come June, you may see a Tiger-Cats logo.

OSKEE-WEE-WEE.....or if you are bi-lingual.....OSKEE-OUI-OUI.....

Edited by Cameron Highlander
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Has there been a mention anywhere of referees? As we know, competent officials are central to producing a game that`s satisfying to play and watch.

The "RL is a simple game, not like RU" spiel can be a problem in new ventures. If people assume for instance that the League tackle and ruck is just "player gets tackled, gets up, plays ball", the result can be painfully laboured PTBs, markers continually offside stifling the dummy-half, etc. All leading to general chaos.

I saw some footage of a Brooklyn Kings game where the ref at times completely lost control of the basics. In one passage he seemed to be applying the RU offside law where defenders were just retreating behind the ball.

I suspect there will be a steep learning curve so I’m willing to cut them a lot of slack if their heart is in the right place and they are proactive about improving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In regard to  officials, if your playing your games in one venue your only going to need a couple of refs. League has been played in the US and Canada for some time so must be  some decent officials around.

In regard to players, none of these new clubs would have entered if they thought they could not muster a team.

Pleased to hear the WP are back. They  will be a dig player in this comp.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

 The Aces are still exploring ways to play in RFL, but the COVID-19 pandemic is complicating that. It’s possible sometime in the future the Aces could field a couple of teams, with some player crossover – one in RFL, the other in the NARL."

Meanwhile... We have 100 year-old Northern English clubs in Super League who claim they cannot afford to run a reserve team.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, frank said:

In regard to  officials, if your playing your games in one venue your only going to need a couple of refs. League has been played in the US and Canada for some time so must be  some decent officials around.

In regard to players, none of these new clubs would have entered if they thought they could not muster a team.

Pleased to hear the WP are back. They  will be a big player in this comp.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So from looking into the new teams, it appears there was once a San Francisco Rush that took part in the old PRO Rugby competition in 2016, I wonder if this is the same team, and if it has the same investor?

Also a bit interesting, and maybe nothing more than coincidental, that PRO Rugby also had a team called the San Diego Breakers, and now NARL has a team called the San Diego Swell, and both have 'wave' logos...

Considering SF never got a MLR Franchise, and the San Diego's franchise went to the Legion, not Breakers, it may explain a few things.

Also surprised to see that NARL removed their partners from their website.  Before they removed them they had:

  • Sportsflix
  • beIN Sport
  • GSBC Holdings
  • Energy Producers Incorporated
  • Thanks 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

So from looking into the new teams, it appears there was once a San Francisco Rush that took part in the old PRO Rugby competition in 2016, I wonder if this is the same team, and if it has the same investor?

Also a bit interesting, and maybe nothing more than coincidental, that PRO Rugby also had a team called the San Diego Breakers, and now NARL has a team called the San Diego Swell, and both have 'wave' logos...

Considering SF never got a MLR Franchise, and the San Diego's franchise went to the Legion, not Breakers, it may explain a few things.

Also surprised to see that NARL removed their partners from their website.  Before they removed them they had:

  • Sportsflix
  • beIN Sport
  • GSBC Holdings
  • Energy Producers Incorporated

After the collapse of PRO Rugby I emailed Doug Schoninger to tell him he should come to the Darkside so he doesn't have to deal with USA Rugby. I'll try to find the email.

  • Like 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Meanwhile... We have 100 year-old Northern English clubs in Super League who claim they cannot afford to run a reserve team.

And not broadcast every game....

  • Like 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Meanwhile... We have 100 year-old Northern English clubs in Super League who claim they cannot afford to run a reserve team.

I get what you are saying. But Aces have yet to kick a ball. Surely it's a bit early for these "I told you so" remarks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, langpark said:

I get what you are saying. But Aces have yet to kick a ball. Surely it's a bit early for these "I told you so" remarks. 

Yes. Right now, across this whole NARL, we have a very exciting plan but there are a load of unknowns. It seems a lot more solid and together than pretty much anything else that's been mooted for years anywhere in the world - but the hard work is starting now and we really do need a lot of different elements to come together.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. Right now, across this whole NARL, we have a very exciting plan but there are a load of unknowns. It seems a lot more solid and together than pretty much anything else that's been mooted for years anywhere in the world - but the hard work is starting now and we really do need a lot of different elements to come together.

That’s a pretty fair summation.  Building from a low base in terms of new teams and existing teams means that there probably will be some teams that fade away but it is hoped that teams in other areas will be created.

If there is the funding required to build a solid base over the next 5 years then this competition can indeed be a game changer globally.  I assume that potential investors and hoped for media have no baggage when it comes to RL v RU and will view RL from the perspective of what it can deliver in monetary terms.

I am always prepared to admit when I am wrong so I tip my hat to those on here that over the years said that NA should form its own league.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

That’s a pretty fair summation.  Building from a low base in terms of new teams and existing teams means that there probably will be some teams that fade away but it is hoped that teams in other areas will be created.

If there is the funding required to build a solid base over the next 5 years then this competition can indeed be a game changer globally.  I assume that potential investors and hoped for media have no baggage when it comes to RL v RU and will view RL from the perspective of what it can deliver in monetary terms.

I am always prepared to admit when I am wrong so I tip my hat to those on here that over the years said that NA should form its own league.

Indeed. Having a proper setup, structure and funding creates momentum and something tangible. As you say make it much more appealing for new teams to replace existing ones that may fade away or hopefully add to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope this really comes off. The Wolfpack failed because of themselves and no one else, but this would be the best outcome of that debacle. A full NA league without the logistical issue of transatlantic travel and teams who are relatively much closer for the locals to genuinely create a rivalry with will help the game grow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...